Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2018, 05:09 PM   #21

State: Arizona
THOR #7580
We are in the same situation. 100 miles inland, waiting and watching. Packed and ready. We are supposed to leave on the 19th for New Mexico, but not sure how that will work out.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:57 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
Did not stay for Florence

Decided after helping get GF's mother's home(New Bern, NC) buttoned up that I might need to change my previous decision. Talked with neighors and ALL were bugging out. This is the first time in the 15 years I've been living in Whortonsville that not a single family was staying for the hurricane. If there were to be no one around in case I needed help then I should get the hell out.

So, I checked the mother of my GF and she was adamant about staying. Talked with her neighbors and they will watch out for her (GF in Cambodia for another 10 days) and look in often.

Took truck to New Bern and grab my RV and am now in Jacksonville, FL with RVN buddy of mine. Will go back when "all clear" is sounded.

Bob - Did pack the ice cream
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #23

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureTheSouth View Post
We've had our Windsport for 6 months now, and always knew it would be an option for us if we lost power during a winter or summer storm. We didn't necessarily think we'd be prepping it up this weekend to either ride-out or bug-out from the path of a Cat-4 hurricane!

Today - filled the fresh tanks (other tanks empty), propane is almost full (and two 20# tanks for outside grill). Tomorrow or Monday take it down to the corner to fuel up - either for long-term generator usage or bug-out early Wednesday to beat the winds if the current projections hold.

Between now and then, we're making sure our most important papers and such are ready to roll if need be. Checking and stocking pantry items for quick transfer to the rig. Also getting critical "return home" things to pack that we might need if we return to major damage - rope, tarps, tools, chainsaw, etc. We're not rigged for Toad yet, but will also have 4WD Patriot in convoy - also packed.

Anyone else used their RV as an emergency escape pod? Any pointers on things that a newbie might overlook for a rolling evacuation? Anyone else near the Carolina coast also doing this now?
I carry a small propane stove, a propane camp lantern with extra bottles in my RV. Yes, it has a big propane stove but it's only two people to cook for. After you use the 1/2 gallon milk containers you can wash them out and fill them with the water you are used to drinking.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #24

THOR #7580
In the middle of the storm, high winds and rain bands. Suppose to last 2-3 days, moving very slow. On gen power, doing ok .
Old 09-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #25

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Sanford...where are you at?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #26

THOR #7580
Little town of Newton Grove. 100 miles inland. Huge wind band. Getting worse as the day goes by. Rains to follow Saturday and Sunday.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #27

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
We are in the same situation. 100 miles inland, waiting and watching. Packed and ready. We are supposed to leave on the 19th for New Mexico, but not sure how that will work out.
Bout this time it starts getting where the trees turn and less folks are at the campground. Not as hot either.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #28

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
"Little town of Newton Grove"

I'm not sure what your options are but if I were you I would be moving westward while you have a little window...if winds allow and it's not too late. This storm is suppose to loop westward just over Charleston then head back NNW. It will be dancing around you for several days. If we can help you over here, let me know!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:35 PM   #29

THOR #7580
Thanks, at this point, our best option is staying put. We are well prepared (whatever that means), have been through similar events.