Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2018, 10:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Not What We planned for the Weekend - Hurricane Prep (Florence)

We've had our Windsport for 6 months now, and always knew it would be an option for us if we lost power during a winter or summer storm. We didn't necessarily think we'd be prepping it up this weekend to either ride-out or bug-out from the path of a Cat-4 hurricane!

Today - filled the fresh tanks (other tanks empty), propane is almost full (and two 20# tanks for outside grill). Tomorrow or Monday take it down to the corner to fuel up - either for long-term generator usage or bug-out early Wednesday to beat the winds if the current projections hold.

Between now and then, we're making sure our most important papers and such are ready to roll if need be. Checking and stocking pantry items for quick transfer to the rig. Also getting critical "return home" things to pack that we might need if we return to major damage - rope, tarps, tools, chainsaw, etc. We're not rigged for Toad yet, but will also have 4WD Patriot in convoy - also packed.

Anyone else used their RV as an emergency escape pod? Any pointers on things that a newbie might overlook for a rolling evacuation? Anyone else near the Carolina coast also doing this now?

Old 09-08-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Nothing like being in the crosshairs. If Florida's hurricanes last year taught us anything it is "leave early" or prepare to be caught in traffic.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:47 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
we can do anything in our motorcoach that we do at home, escept for the hot tub / :

and it’s great for short overnight trips where we don’t have to rush home - a ‘hotel on wheels’... I KNOW what bed I’m sleepin’ in and where it’s been!

It is certainly a great ‘escape’ pod - even if you get caught in traffic, YOU have a bathroom and kitchen onboard : )

if you keep a half tank or more of fuel, you’ll be ready to go
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:54 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The best of luck to you during this most stressful time!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:17 PM   #5

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureTheSouth View Post
We've had our Windsport for 6 months now, and always knew it would be an option for us if we lost power during a winter or summer storm. We didn't necessarily think we'd be prepping it up this weekend to either ride-out or bug-out from the path of a Cat-4 hurricane!

Today - filled the fresh tanks (other tanks empty), propane is almost full (and two 20# tanks for outside grill). Tomorrow or Monday take it down to the corner to fuel up - either for long-term generator usage or bug-out early Wednesday to beat the winds if the current projections hold.

Between now and then, we're making sure our most important papers and such are ready to roll if need be. Checking and stocking pantry items for quick transfer to the rig. Also getting critical "return home" things to pack that we might need if we return to major damage - rope, tarps, tools, chainsaw, etc. We're not rigged for Toad yet, but will also have 4WD Patriot in convoy - also packed.

Anyone else used their RV as an emergency escape pod? Any pointers on things that a newbie might overlook for a rolling evacuation? Anyone else near the Carolina coast also doing this now?
Extra Medications if any, real money just in case of no electricity for cash registers, maybe a medical record IE blood type, surgeries, alergies, SS#, next of kin... rolls of quarters for laundry, 1st aid kit, couple of MRES, 5 day emergency pack of food, 2 cases of water, extra packs of batteries all sizes, flashlites all sizes, bug repellant, soap. Small bottle of booze for snake bite- anestheshia.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:35 PM   #6

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Go early and go south. Roads get jammed earlier than you think and hurricanes almost always turn north and east.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:47 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
We used our last coach to bug out during a wildfire. We always keep out RVs full of non-perishables and fresh water, fuel, etc. Hook up the toad and run. The wife will drive the spare truck and if the worse comes that's what insurance is for. We came back from a camping trip three or four years ago to find out our home had been the victim of a flash flood. Lived in the RV during the re-build. RVs sure comme in handy for all kinds of circumstances.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #8

Model: Freedom elite
THOR #12456
another "go early" vote

if you wait for evacuation orders to leave , you are probably to late. we found that out last year during Irma. A normal 10 hour drive to the mountains from Florida became a 22 hour dive. Head out early to the mountains near Asheville and ride it out.
FWIW... our home in Florida never lost power during Irma, but our place in the mountains lost power for 3 days due to wind from same storm knocking down trees!

Be safe
Old 09-10-2018, 02:03 AM   #9

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #11007
We're still watching updates, and will make a decision on "ride out or bug out" sometime on Tuesday. Thanks for all the recommendations. Since we live near NC wetlands, we have most of the essentials already - bug spray, first aid (even minor surgery) kits, plenty of "anesthesia", and a weeks worth of non-perishable food. Just a matter of "what and when".

If current projection holds (STILL center mass of projection) we'll need to roll by Wednesday evening to beat the winds. Southwest is the tentative plan if so, maybe somewhere around the Okefenokee for a day or two before coming back to see if house is standing.

Also have secondary plan laid out if forecast changes, as to where to park rig and cars for max protection if we decide to shelter in place.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:34 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #11380
This is "old hat" to some of us. I always keep an extra 2 weeks supply of groceries and water on hand for these situations. Did run up to fill 2 empty 5 gallon gas cans so that'll give me 30 gallons of petro to run the house generator. And, I did get an extra half gallon of ice cream.

Only thing I'm doing different for this hurricane is moving the RV and motorcycle to New Bern (I live on the Neuse River in Pamlico County). Doing that tomorrow. That'll leave me with the truck which I'll put on my "flood ramp". That's a 6 foot tall cal-made hill outback.

Not really worried about house flooding as I have a carriage house. The living quarters are 14 feet up and bottom contains no maintenance facilities as I am in a flood plain. Will just get things in garage off the floor and on shelves that are 4 feet above floor (6 feet above sea level).
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:46 AM   #11

State: Washington
THOR #6433
We don’t have the hurricane problem on the west coast but we do artic blasts during the winter and the need for heat is important. You can get a adapter that allows you to connect an external propane tank to run he and stove when the coach tank goes empty.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #12

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I used to live full time in my RV just west of Myrtle Beach, people made fun of me until the electric went out, I was making popcorn in the microwave and watching NASCAR on tv. They didn’t laugh after that!!!

I TOTALLY agree with everyone else, leave early, traffic will be terrible! Stay safe, our prayers go out to you and everyone else in the path of Mother Nature!!!
Old 09-10-2018, 11:12 AM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I love that preparations include an "extra half gallon of ice cream" ! Can't forget the essentials LOL.

Stay safe everyone.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:08 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureTheSouth View Post
We're still watching updates, and will make a decision on "ride out or bug out" sometime on Tuesday. Thanks for all the recommendations. Since we live near NC wetlands, we have most of the essentials already - bug spray, first aid (even minor surgery) kits, plenty of "anesthesia", and a weeks worth of non-perishable food. Just a matter of "what and when".

If current projection holds (STILL center mass of projection) we'll need to roll by Wednesday evening to beat the winds. Southwest is the tentative plan if so, maybe somewhere around the Okefenokee for a day or two before coming back to see if house is standing.

Also have secondary plan laid out if forecast changes, as to where to park rig and cars for max protection if we decide to shelter in place.
Here's to hoping that it misses you by HUNDREDS of miles!
Old 09-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #15

Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
THOR #10499
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml1230 View Post
if you wait for evacuation orders to leave , you are probably to late. we found that out last year during Irma. A normal 10 hour drive to the mountains from Florida became a 22 hour dive. Head out early to the mountains near Asheville and ride it out.
FWIW... our home in Florida never lost power during Irma, but our place in the mountains lost power for 3 days due to wind from same storm knocking down trees!

Be safe

I second this. Took us 18 hours to get from the West Palm Beach area to Atlanta, a 9 hour drive on a normal day. Was 12 hours just to the GA/FL border, a normal 6 hour drive. We didn't lose power at the house either, but the day we were planning to head home, the remnants hit Atlanta and caused havoc there.
DanChateau33SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #16

Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
THOR #10499
At the start of summer, we go out and make sure we are full of diesel and propane. About a week ahead of a storm, I plug it in to top off the batteries and cool the fridge. If we end up having to leave, it's 2 days before so we load the day before we leave.

We learned with Matthew that we needed to have all of our important documents in sealed bins that are easy to grab and go. Last year for Irma, we were loaded and ready to leave in just a couple of hours. Then it's on the road early in the morning to try and get ahead of the masses.

Stay safe. When in doubt, leave.
DanChateau33SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #17

Model: 28z
THOR #7401
I live 200 miles inland from Wilmington, NC But, I remember Hugo so I'm ready to jet out or provide coffee for the neighbors.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #18

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Here's to hoping that it misses you by HUNDREDS of miles!
Lots of Anestheshia. If you have enough, the mosquitos that bite you will be too drunk to fly right then, so they will have to go left, er walk home.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #19

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Don't have everything "ready to go in the rig"...place it there now! You'll forget things in the last minute rush. Test your generator. Forget the tarps, tools, chainsaws and heavy crap. Use that weight availability for food, bottled water and other must-haves. As this gets closer, supplies will dry up like a wave the further you go inward. If you have a hitch rack, load it with full fuel jugs. If you don't, go now and get one. Last year fuel supplies as far as Atlanta became a problem. Even moreso after the storm as people started back home, in addition to lots of supplies being diverted to Florida. The world isn't coming to an end but if you prepare for that, you'll be fine. In addition to everything else, I keep a 6 month supply of freeze dried food (30 year shelf life) in my coach all the time...it weights less than 100 pounds. Food and water...if nothing else.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:48 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It's always better to be prepared for the worst, and have your neighbors think that you're nuts: than to look like them; when the crap hits the fan!