Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2018, 05:36 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
Being a practical minded guy, I follow the label on the oil. If it states for all gasoline powered vehicles and is rated I think MN its good to go. 5000-7000 miles is good for the change mileage. Maybe even more. Most cars will suffer a crash or rust out before an oil related failure occurs?

Old 10-21-2018, 05:49 PM   #42

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by geno929 View Post
Mobil 1 5w-20 full synthetic in the Ford V-10 and Royal Purple 10w-30 in the generator. The coach get an oil change every fall and the generator once a year, based upon use, of course.
It's very easy to change the coach oil. Flat ground, place it up on the levelers, block the tires, Drain the oil, remove the oil filter, let drain for 10 minutes or so. Add some oil to filter, replace and hand tighten. Replace drain plug. Start coach, and check for leaks.
The generator is a bit messy. I try to have the coach at a slight lean towards the side away from the generator. The fill port is almost the same level as the "full" on the dipstick. Remove the small bolt holding the drain plug cover, spin it away to gain access the the drain plug. Start and warm the generator. Put some electric on: AC or lights and fridge to stress the generator for a few minutes.
After it is warmed a bit, turn off. Wait a few minutes prior to removing the drain plug. Let drain for at least 10 minutes. Replace drain plug and place cover back in it's proper place. Fill with a quality synthetic oil and use a funnel to avoid spilling.
Depending on how much you utilize the generator, will dictate how often you change the oil. For us, once a year is fine.
Keeping an oil drain pan w/ the needed tools etc. in one place is a helpful thing. For the extra expense of Synthetic oil vs. regular oil is cheap protection for a complex and loved machine!
Yeah, had a place that changed my oil that did all that. They didn't give the filter a little bit more than hand tight though. Lucky for me I saw it after three and half qts leaked in my parking space at work & my garage. They bought the next three and half qts. and from then on after I started it up after the change, I let it idle for a couple minutes, pull out slowly and look at the concrete where I just parked. Never thought it could happen, but it did. Long time ago after an oil change at a dealership on a bike we were riding, the oil plug fell out and oil went all over the road. Luckily, we had a truck following that signalled us to pull over, like right now. Lucky we were able to put the bike in the back of the truck to cause it was 40 miles from town. Kinda wish they use safety wire for the plug in cars and maybe a can that fits around the oil filter too. Oh yeah, lot of the oil flew up and coated our jackets too. George just Lucky I guess, but we were as slippery as politicians that day.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:14 PM   #43

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperguy99 View Post
Being a practical minded guy, I follow the label on the oil. If it states for all gasoline powered vehicles and is rated I think MN its good to go. 5000-7000 miles is good for the change mileage. Maybe even more. Most cars will suffer a crash or rust out before an oil related failure occurs?
A voice of reason.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #44

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
A voice of reason.
Sounds good to me. Spent a lot of my wasted youth changing the oil, then I discovered they can do it for the price of a case of beer now a days. What a bargain.