Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2016, 05:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
Oil service dilemma

Recently went to check the oil in my 2017 Vegas after coming off the road on our first real trip. The oil was fine but after locating the oil service port (in the event I would need to add) from front of the coach my question is how in the world does one add oil given the location of the service port? Am I missing something here?? Thanks for any advice.

Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:09 PM   #2

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
Get an inexpensive hand pump from Napa. They come in very handy for changing or adding oil in hard to reach places.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:58 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
The only way to have easy access to the Axis/Vegas oil filler -- you are not going to believe the rest of this -- is to go down through the top of the dash. You would remove the computer desk and cut though a marked access to get to the top of the engine area. This is also how you would get access to remove and replace the battery in the Axis/Vegas (2014 & 2015 for sure not sure about the 16 & 17 model years).

If you have the owners manual I compiled, there is a picture of this process on Pg 69. If you need the manual, go to the Motorhome Tech Topics section of the forum and the first sticky gives you website to download the manual.

I'd go with the hand pump. Just be careful when you remove the cap - if you drop it, it will be gone forever and you'll be stuffing a rag in the hole!
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:12 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
When I took delivery of my 2016 axis they had to call 3 different guys to try and find where to add oil. Finally one of the guys said "there it is." I didn't see it but at least I know its there somewhere or maybe the guy was lying. I would probably just remove the little dog house for access and hope I find it.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:10 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
Thanks guys for the info/suggestions. Believe I'll do the hand pump. It looks like the same holds true for servicing the coolant. Although it is on the opposite side from oil filler access is nearly the same. I'm guessing to check battery it is through the computer desk access. Thanks again. Stay safe.
Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:40 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
I just went down to my 2016 24.1 and confirmed what I had thought all along. While it is tight in the engine compartment there is sufficient room to pour a quart of oil into a short funnel .
The funnel in the picture is 5 1/2 " deep and 5" across with an opening large enough to pass cold oil at the bottom.
The oil shown was for demonstration purposes only but represents a one quart bottle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3467.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	2985  
Old 09-12-2016, 11:03 PM   #7

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
I think beginning in 2016 Thor provided more room on this side of the engine. I believe they also lowered the battery making it able to be changed without cutting the hole in the dash.

I can tell you, you'll not pour oil in the 2014/15. I pay to have the oil change and let the dealer get the new oil in.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:36 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Go to auto parts store and look for device that screws on to oil container, it has about a foot long clear hose attached. I have a couple of these for use in tight spaces, they work great, don't drip, don't leak, and they're cheap!
Old 09-13-2016, 10:41 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Believe me, the 2016 and 17 models are a lot, lot easier than the original 2014 Vegas.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
You guys that pay a service center to put in oil should know that the dipstick tube is where they are inserting oil. If you can reach the dipstick tube, you too can change your oil.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:53 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
While we can reach the dip stick tube, it's so small that it will take a long time to fill that way without a pump. Funnel and hose long enough to reach the oil fill works for me.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #12

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
i have a 2016 axis 25-2 and it takes me 30 minutes to change the oil.10 min to drain oil and change filter and 20 min to put the new oil in.i can reach in a[ long ways] remove cap then i use a long transmission flex funnel which i slid a new 18''x3/4 heater hose onto funnel. put hose in hole. the rest of funnel is 8 ''out past front 0f MH and is very easy and fast to dump 6 quarts of oil in to engine.

its harder to remove and replace dip stick then to change the oil.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:57 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I use a PVC extender when I refill during oil change. To add oil between changes use a gear oil cap and squirt down dipstick tube.
Gear oil is the slender bottles used for adding to axles. I only had to add oil once and used the gear oil tip without issue.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:38 AM   #14

THOR #6893
If you have a 2014 axis , it is harder to find the dipstick than the oil filler tube. Even the dealer couldn't find mine . the 2015s up had an extension installed from the factory bringing the stick right to the front.After exhaustive research I finally was able to order the extension, WOW $175.00 delivered.The good news is they sent me two by mistake. So anyone having a 2014 Axis or Vegas and needs an extension let me know . I will sell you my extra for $75.00 plus shipping.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:24 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.3
THOR #7103
Reading the posts here, I thought we would have to cut into the dash to access the oil fill. Thank You PeteW for posting the picture http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/oil-service-dilemma-5112.html>
I was able to reach in and touch the oil fill – good to know where it is. We took it to our local auto shop – all done!