Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2019, 05:33 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Arizona
THOR #14946
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg0603 View Post
Hi all,

Thank you in advance for your opinions. We are on our 3rd TT. We are thinking seriously of moving to a Class C. Specifically the Quantum KW29, but this question applies to any Class C. It's just the wife and I now.

Our ideal use would be to hop in and go until we feel like stopping. Is that really possible? Is it easy to find places to overnight? I know about Walmarts and Costcos but I'd like to know if there are more options. Positive and negative experiences are welcome.

Do you end up really needing to add another vehicle in tow?

Thank you!
We went from TT to MH just over a year ago. We now have a 26 ft Freedom Elite and truly enjoy the ease of driving, parking, setting up, and relaxing. We do not tow, there really isn't much need for it with the smaller rig.
The spouse would like to park and have a small quad or something similar available at times, mostly due to knee trouble and the pain that comes with walking. We haven't fully decided on what might be the best option yet.
Overall it was the best transition for us, we are enjoying the ease of the class C.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:57 PM   #22

State: Iowa
THOR #15024
We have a 26 foot Class C, 30 when the back slide is out. We drove it through the Smokie Mountains a few summers ago. Our only problem is there were things we didn’t get to see because there was not room to park on our day trips. We still had lots of fun. We also flat tow. Little more hassle but much more flexibility for day tripping. Some rest areas also allow camping.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:59 PM   #23

State: Iowa
THOR #15024
Sparkle

We have a 26 foot Class C, 30 when the back slide is out. We drove it through the Smokie Mountains a few summers ago. Our only problem is there were things we didn’t get to see because there was not room to park on our day trips. We still had lots of fun. We also flat tow. Little more hassle but much more flexibility for day tripping. Some rest areas also allow camping.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:03 AM   #24

Model: Gemini TX
State: Ontario
THOR #13247
C Class - Mercedes Benz Thor Gemini TX

My wife is a lawyer and uses this as a mobile law office.

I have this motorhome in an RVShare type of programme.

This summer alone I have close to $20,000 Gross Earnings and $15,000 net.

I have looked at alot of RV solutions.

We are travellers, not vacationers.

I have been all over the world with travel and the question was, How do I see North America as If I was trekking through Africa.

And in style. I wanted to step into my vehicle and feel good about it just like my car at home.

The Big Silver Star in the front was important, if not psychological.

As a world traveller the A Class got boxed out of certain spaces UNESCO, Historic Sites due to size.

Frankly I hated the 5-10 mpg. The Sprinter at 16-21 mpg by comparison sips fuel like a MD SMART Car.

Our travels are to to North America in a Grid pattern starting in the Florida Keys, up to the Maritime Provinces up and down both countries, starting first in semi-retirement and then off to full retirement.

It is National Geographic meets the Food Channel

Similarly I have looked at most of the C Classes from the Tiffin to Leisure Travel Unity and Serenity.

I like the quality of the LTV products but with no or one slides it make a full time live aboard seem that much more cramped. Both these companies quality is beyond any Thor product I have found.

However, that comes in at an extreme cost spread.

I have found the Gemini/ Compass platform with "Tricking Out" improving upon what is factory provided, has imense savings over the Tiffin/ LTV products and that of the more expensive Citatation.

I seriously looked at the Citation, but I have in two years already bought 2 RV's and sold one. How many have RV's and sell them, upgrade them etc.

I am already planning my new Thor 2020 Gemini/ Compass purchase SX model with the new fully loaded MB Sprinter that in the RV world looks like an "S" Class sedan with lane assist, blind spot spot assist, lane changing, zenon headlamps etc.

Check out the LTV site for the new 2020 models.

Why LTV is so resistant to slides is beyond me. Their product is stellar.

So here I go ready to buy RV No. 3 in four years and all the while I am still tricking out this one. My 2018 Thor Gemini TX.

I have Winegard WIFI extender to install, (have it), Winegard Satellite (have it in a box and ready), I just got in Friday the new Walnut Dash upgrade, new chrome handle covers, chrome mirror covers, chrome fuel door cover and on the purchase list to transfer to the new Thor, I am going to buy the Alcoa 6 rim EVO Durabright rims.

I have swapped out the old kitchen faucet with a designer Dark Brown sprayer style faucet, installing a new raised glass bowl bathroom sink and designer faucet. I am installing a brown glass mosaic backsplash in the bathroom and kitchen.

Back to the C Class, if it is the most economical fuel consumption to the RV traveller, then look no further for flexibilty, travel, comfort and style and for the best value of them all including the Winnebago View G and the Ithasca Navion IQ . All having a rear bedroom slide and a side Livingroom slide.

I bought the Thor Gemini based on it checked those boxes, remember a Mercedes Chassis on a Apples vs Apples basis is the exact same.

I bought it because to me (I did my spreadsheet for comparables) was the "Best Value" of them all. That however is just me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59 (2).JPG
Views:	68
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	17473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome ABS Side Mirrors 2016 3500 Sprinter RV.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	17474  

Name:	Chrome Diesel Fuel Flap 2016 3500 Sprinter RV.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	17475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome Door Handles 2pcs 2016 3500 Sprinter RV.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	17476  

Name:	Chrome Mirror Quarter Panel 2016 3500 Sprinter RV.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	17477   Click image for larger version

Name:	35506e75-bc15-42c5-82a7-294c7578ca8f-13.jpg
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	17478  

Name:	35506e75-bc15-42c5-82a7-294c7578ca8f-14.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	17479   Click image for larger version

Name:	35506e75-bc15-42c5-82a7-294c7578ca8f-15.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	17480  

Name:	8cef1718185a92e560c3191c0301a0fc_dbac5af2-c983-4100-8960-93bb703781b4_large.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	17482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom Sink s-l1600 (2) thor Prism 2018.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	17483  

Old 05-19-2019, 12:08 AM   #25

State: Utah
THOR #3257
We have a Chateau and had some issues that were minor and Thor helped get them fixed. We are finding that many dealers will now not service Thor unless you bought it from them which is B.S. A friend of our just bought a 2019 Quantum and has had nothing but quality control issues with the coach. If you do buy one I'd do a 2-3 day shake down and drive it to see what issues may arise.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #26

State: Illinois
THOR #13262
Test
Old 05-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #27

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Class C Front overhang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
We just moved out of a 22' B+ Gulfstream into an ACE 27.2. (28'9") . We are retired and spend considerable time in the MH. The useable space in the A was the selling point for us. The C's the cab area is strictly for driving. In a an A the front seats become part of the living area. I wanted to stay under 30' as many NP's that is the size limit for sites. Also the B+ we had for years did not have the overhead bunk hanging out over the windshield. After test driving class C I couldn't get used to the feeling of driving the MH in a tunnel so am A fit bets for me.

The Class C Front overhang keeps the motorhome cooler in summer driving, My 1st motor home was a class A and the huge windshield felt like I was in a hothouse, In the summer I had to use dash and rooftop air. My 24' class c keeps the whole unit cool with dash air.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabobo View Post
Test
You passed!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #29

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
The Class C Front overhang keeps the motorhome cooler in summer driving, My 1st motor home was a class A and the huge windshield felt like I was in a hothouse, In the summer I had to use dash and rooftop air. My 24' class c keeps the whole unit cool with dash air.
Most Class Cs also have OEM factory dash air conditioners, with vents that often appear located closer to driver and passenger. All these things combined probably make the vehicle A/C in a Class C work effectively. Class As definitely have a lot more room in the cab area, but that adds to cooling requirements. That’s not to say their A/C can’t be oversized but I wonder if RV manufacturers always go to that extreme/cost.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Chance,
I agree that the E-450 chassis is pretty tight...
(I'm guessing the the 350 chassis is in the same situation...)
But Sprinter and Transit chassis designs seem to give you more room to move around.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:42 PM   #31

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Chance,
But Sprinter and Transit chassis designs seem to give you more room to move around.
I don’t agree, but that’s not what I’m talking about anyway. If you compare the total volume and glass size of most As to any of the Cs, you’ll find cooling requirements are very different.

In most Cs, as an example, I can touch the top of the windshield while seated. In Class As the windshield can be twice as far as I can reach. All that open space makes cooling more difficult.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #32

Model: 22E
THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I don’t agree, but that’s not what I’m talking about anyway. If you compare the total volume and glass size of most As to any of the Cs, you’ll find cooling requirements are very different.

In most Cs, as an example, I can touch the top of the windshield while seated. In Class As the windshield can be twice as far as I can reach. All that open space makes cooling more difficult.
Exactly, that's also why I never need the sun visor with the class C overhang
Old 05-19-2019, 05:13 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
[QUOTE=Chance;183181]Class As definitely have a lot more room in the cab area, but that adds to cooling requirements.

You're absolutely entitled to disagree...
But this is what you said.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:49 PM   #34

THOR #2121
Quote:
Chance,

Bob, I disagree that “Sprinter and Transit chassis designs seem to give you more room to move around”.

In my opinion the Ford E-Series is more spacious except for the engine doghouse. The Ford Transit is by far the worst. So yes, I disagree on this subjective issue. However, I don’t see how this has anything to do with comparing to A/C performance on Class As.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:47 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
... And the doghouse is exactly the issue...
Quite frankly: it's a real test of one's gymnastic ability; when trying to get behind the wheel. (When you're entering from the coach side...)
Old 05-19-2019, 07:55 PM   #36

Model: RW28
State: Florida
THOR #12200
We had a 25' Thor Majestic for 5 years, sold that a purchased a 2018 RW28 (30') last year.

The reason we stayed with the Class C is vehicle maintenance. In 2017 we drive from Florida to Seattle, Washington. By the time we arrived, our Chassis needed to be serviced, the RV dealers around the area had a 2 week wait, but the Ford Deal asked, Is you rig a Class C or A? Class A, no we can't service it, Class C, bring it in. Service completed, we're back on the road. So, just my opinion, Class C is for me.

As for stopping, we find all sorts of places to stop, But we do find being out West of the Mississippi easier than the East Coast. We use a multitude or apps, KOA, GS, UC Military, Park Advisor, Harvest Host.

When parking the basic rules for us is, 1: Ask, don't Assume. 2: Try to stay out of the way, don't take a truckers space, they are working, don't take spaces close to the bussiness, leave those spaces for cars.

We also tow our CRV, my wife, a Disabled Veteran, needs her Scooter to enjoy life just like the rest of us. It doesn't take me very log to hitch and unhitch and I can do it alone.

Hope this helps, happy trails, enjoy life, go see our country, there is soooooo much out there to see.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:11 PM   #37

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
... And the doghouse is exactly the issue...
Quite frankly: it's a real test of one's gymnastic ability; when trying to get behind the wheel. (When you're entering from the coach side...)
You can take the extra large size cup holder and map area off to give you more room. All you have to do is pull up. They make a smaller replacement one that you can put on if you would like.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D1619834-CF5F-47A2-9AB5-74381E32F0F5.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	17505   Click image for larger version

Name:	B993421C-F68D-4999-870B-349C080E27F7.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	17507  

Old 05-19-2019, 09:41 PM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I was actually bugged more by the lack of room for my feet...
Old 05-20-2019, 02:51 AM   #39

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
I was actually bugged more by the lack of room for my feet...
Mmm okay never thought about there not being enough room for feet
Old 05-20-2019, 03:14 AM   #40

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Illinois
THOR #7230
[QUOTE=Elite Washington;183260]You can take the extra large size cup holder and map area off

I would like to do that. Where can you buy the smaller cup holder area?]