Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2019, 01:20 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: Arizona
THOR #15205
Opinions on Class C uses

Hi all,

Thank you in advance for your opinions. We are on our 3rd TT. We are thinking seriously of moving to a Class C. Specifically the Quantum KW29, but this question applies to any Class C. It's just the wife and I now.

Our ideal use would be to hop in and go until we feel like stopping. Is that really possible? Is it easy to find places to overnight? I know about Walmarts and Costcos but I'd like to know if there are more options. Positive and negative experiences are welcome.

Do you end up really needing to add another vehicle in tow?

Thank you!

Old 05-12-2019, 03:02 AM   #2

Model: Citation 24SR
State: Kansas
THOR #9869
We have had our 24’ Class C for just about 3years and DO NOT tow... you can Uber or Enterprise a lot of times for cost of tow package. Plus a Class C can park just about anywhere! We have only rented a vehicle once in 30k miles... breaking camp takes us about 10 minutes and you can leave a tablecloth with chairs out without them being disturbed. More sites at NP and SP are available because of your smaller size.

Good luck!
Old 05-12-2019, 10:35 AM   #3

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Join Harvest Host. Heck with Walmart. We either tow or take two ebikes. Depends on the trip. 24 footer and ideal for us.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #4

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: Arizona
THOR #15205
thx

Thank you for the thoughtful responses.

Our current TT is 37 feet. The KW29 is 31 feet. You both have 24 footers. Of course, smaller is more versatile but would your opinion be that the extra 7 feet between 24 and 31 would be a deal breaker in terms of versatility?

Another important question we have is that you seem to see a lot of Class C's out there for sale with low miles. Like they didn't work out for their owners. Are there any opinions as to why this might be?

Thank you!
Old 05-12-2019, 11:17 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg0603 View Post
Thank you for the thoughtful responses.

Our current TT is 37 feet. The KW29 is 31 feet. You both have 24 footers. Of course, smaller is more versatile but would your opinion be that the extra 7 feet between 24 and 31 would be a deal breaker in terms of versatility?

Another important question we have is that you seem to see a lot of Class C's out there for sale with low miles. Like they didn't work out for their owners. Are there any opinions as to why this might be?

Thank you!
You can use the class C everywhere you used the TT (you could have overnighted at a Walmart with it--we've done that with our old 5er). A motorhome (all of them, not just a C) brings a bit more versatility with it.

The question of size is simply: where can I park it? A 25footer or so can be wedged into a standard parking spot if you are creative enough. With something longer you just have to be that much more creative (say backing into a spot so the rear overhang is over a lawn, etc.).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The Class C RVs seem to be the "Jack of All Trades: of the RV industry...
They're not a big & bulky as a Class A, so they're easy to jump into and take off.
They give you more livable space than a Class B, so it's easier to take longer trips in greater comfort.
Unlike any of the tow-ables: it's just one rig: no hitching/unhitching.

It's true that the other RVs may do one, or even several things better: but the Class C's seem to span all of the potential uses in an acceptably good fashion.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5725
We have a 28 footer (30) And love the size. It fits in to standard spots back to back or a standard spot if you find an overhang. I have been able to get it into state parks without much of a problem especially since it is called a 28 footer. We like the versatility of this size over 23 and 24 since we have a full dinette and a full couch along with a full Queen walkaround bed.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:06 PM   #8

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
We love our Axis 25.2 (26'6") and would consider another class c with the right floorplan. Usually we flat tow and always take bikes. The 26"6' is the limit on length for us. Our first MH was a 25 foot class c. The Axis has a much more usable cab area than the C but that's about it.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:08 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
We have a 26 footer and have made many journeys. Some with no TOAD, some without a TOAD, some with a trailer. We have boondocked in various places and have stayed in many convenient smaller campgrounds. We don't need a pull through even with the TOAD as we have it setup to be easily disconnected and reconnected.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #10

State: New Hampshire
THOR #15229
We just went from a travel trailer to a 26 ft class c and love it. It has a couch and dinette and bedroom slide very easy to drive can get into the smaller sites. I have had 5th wheels and travel trailers and would never go back after the class c
Old 05-14-2019, 12:59 AM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
We just moved out of a 22' B+ Gulfstream into an ACE 27.2. (28'9") . We are retired and spend considerable time in the MH. The useable space in the A was the selling point for us. The C's the cab area is strictly for driving. In a an A the front seats become part of the living area. I wanted to stay under 30' as many NP's that is the size limit for sites. Also the B+ we had for years did not have the overhead bunk hanging out over the windshield. After test driving class C I couldn't get used to the feeling of driving the MH in a tunnel so am A fit bets for me.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:01 AM   #12

THOR #9869
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
We just moved out of a 22' B+ Gulfstream into an ACE 27.2. (28'9") . We are retired and spend considerable time in the MH. The useable space in the A was the selling point for us. The C's the cab area is strictly for driving. In a an A the front seats become part of the living area. I wanted to stay under 30' as many NP's that is the size limit for sites. Also the B+ we had for years did not have the overhead bunk hanging out over the windshield. After test driving class C I couldn't get used to the feeling of driving the MH in a tunnel so am A fit bets for me.

Just for everyone’s information the Mercedes Benz Class C Sprinter cab chairs swivel towards the living space! One of the many things we love about our floor plan of the Thor Citation 24SR.
It has 2 slides, one for the living room and the other that goes out backward for the walk around queen bedroom.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:18 AM   #13

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg0603 View Post
...Our ideal use would be to hop in and go until we feel like stopping. Is that really possible? Is it easy to find places to overnight? I know about Walmarts and Costcos but I'd like to know if there are more options. Positive and negative experiences are welcome.
Do you end up really needing to add another vehicle in tow?
Thank you!

To your first question, yes, lots of folks do that. Some travelers are planners, some are wanderers. Our trips usually include stops that require scheduling.

The options for overnights are endless. We've stayed at Lowes, small airports, churches, even farms (always with permission.) Our favorites are friend's driveways and Crkr Barrels. We use an app/web site called OvernightRVparking.com ($25/yr.)

We almost always flat tow our car, many get along fine without. For us and the way we travel, yes we do really need that extra vehicle. We'd leave our RV home before we would travel without our tow car. Your results may vary.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:36 AM   #14

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampFire Junkies View Post
Just for everyone’s information the Mercedes Benz Class C Sprinter cab chairs swivel towards the living space! One of the many things we love about our floor plan of the Thor Citation 24SR.
It has 2 slides, one for the living room and the other that goes out backward for the walk around queen bedroom.
I stand corrected. I still don't like the feeling of driving in a tunnel. I spose you do get used to it.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:04 AM   #15

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Class C’s are extremely versatile even the larger ones. We have a 32 foot bunkhouse and normally we take our Jeep with us. But when we don’t it’s still easy to get around and drive. You are use to driving a longer rig now so it will feel like a breeze just being in one unit.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Thor manufactures some Class Cs on Ford E-Series which have front captain chairs that swivel. Depending on floorplan, it would seem these could be added as an option. I’d ask if that was a deal breaker.

I find the E-Series cab area quite roomy, but I don’t need that much space to feel comfortable. To me the separation between seats seems a lot wider than on Transit or Mercedes chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0EC1547C-F74E-45EA-97C4-A70664CF0677.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	17401  
Old 05-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampFire Junkies View Post
I'd love to see the floorplan for your rig...
It sounds an awful lot like ours!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1557833935
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wayfarer4.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	17402  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #18

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
For every benefit of a TT, Class C, Class B or Class A...there is a trade-off. We sold the TT an bought a 35' Class C. Biggest reason was the overall length and the drama involved in getting a 39' TT with a 20' pickup into most of the small campgrounds and the time involved in hooking up/breaking down everything. The Class A is the best overall floorplan...if they could just build a quality cab and the factory suspension not need to be rebuilt on Day One. In as much as a huge part of the trip is traveling along the highways and byways, a motorhome beats the TT hands down. Easy to park in most places for lunch stops, short breaks, etc. Easy to set up once at destination...if you can pick your nose, you can operate a motorhome...push-button everything. If you reach your destination at midnight in the pouring rain...sweet...stand up, go to bed...never have to get out for anything. The space in the TT was awesome and you always had a "touring vehicle". While I really hated to lose the benefits of the TT...the decision to go MH was the best for us. Your use, age, ability and destinations will dictate what configuration is best for you.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:35 PM   #19

THOR #9869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I'd love to see the floorplan for your rig...

It sounds an awful lot like ours!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1557833935

A few differences... our tv is located so you can watch from cab and sofa. Big selling point for us. Our bathroom has a ‘L’ door that swings out giving you a lot of room for dressing. Our shower might be smaller, but usable for a big guy 6’5” 300+ lbs...

https://www.mhsrv.com/2013-thor-moto...i634419/images
Old 05-14-2019, 09:57 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That's a real Beauty...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1557871010
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gunny 02.jpg