Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2017, 03:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #6633
Our first trip!

So we just returned from our first outing in our 2017 windsport 34 J and here are a few of my impressions:

1- love having a coach over a bumper pull! We've had 2 and a pop up. Love the driver. If you're on the fence - do it. Our last bumper pull was a 36' bunk house and while I enjoyed it I hated pulling it and especially parking it. Our drive this week to Tyler State Park was very windy. No problems at all - loved driving it and so much easier than our previous set up.

2- love the layout of the 34J - so much more living space over our bumper pull and the storage is incredible. We don't have a dedicated bunk room like our trailer did but the kids never hung out there anyway. Everything is laid out so well there is little wasted space.

3- Love the residential fridge - thought it was a gimmick, didn't think I would like it especially not being able to run on gas, but with the inverter it was great - spacious and cooled off quickly.

4 - All of our research drove us the the conclusion that no matter what brand or what price point, expect some issues and our Windsport didn't disappoint! Here are a few: they hooked up the HDMI switch all wrong, and once I figured that out, the HDMI cable from the switch to the main TV is bad. from what I've read that may not be an easy fix. The front A/C and heater weren't working despite working just fine during our PDI - probably the thermostat because nothing was tripped and both were offline. It was a mild weekend so it wasn't too much of an issue except for the last night where it got pretty cold. A few other minor things so all and all I feel fortunate. The large slide makes me nervous but no issues there.

5- to TOAD or not to TOAD...thought we would be able to hold out a while on this one. We went camping with family so we had access to vehicles however, not having a toad could be tough.

6- Misc- I understand that in the RV world this is considered closer to entry level than not, but in my mind when spending nearly 100k on something I would expect a nicer cab area. The axerra (sp?) head unit is crap, the cup holders are a joke, and the trip computer is pretty basic.

Still - despite the issues, the sparse cab, could not be happier. Will call in the morning to set an appointment to get the issues worked out and can't wait to get it out again!

Old 03-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Skywab, sounds like overall you had a great time! Congratulations!!!

The rear AC on our coach quit a week after delivery, it was working during the PDI too, faulty freeze sensor. Entry level or not the Windsport is still a great coach!!!

Keep having fun!!!

If you need a toad sometimes it's a lot easier to just rent a car at your destination.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
skwab - yes, yes and yes. Way better than a trailer for all the reasons you mentioned, wouldn't trade the residential fridge, you're the quality control for stuff that isn't right, toad is ESSENTIAL, cup holders suck.

Don't wait the 2 years like I did to make the cup holders useful. Followed the idea that others had on the forum. Bought 4 of the adapters, trimmed 1/2" off, added a small lip of Gorilla duct tape on the base and now the cup holders WORK.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Biggest thing I got from your post, you folks enjoyed! Nice.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #4

THOR #6633
Thanks guys - I'll definitely look into the cup holder mod BigBen - I appreciate the info. Super D - I agree - the Windsport is awesome - we looked at several and kept coming back to the 34J. Thor gets a lot bad press, but from all of the coaches we looked at their use of space, the materials they use and the styling (which in the RV world is a term I use loosely) was just better than anything else even when we looked a little over our budget. Really happy with our choice!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:00 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
We find that schedule 30 3" PVC couplers work great as cup holder adapters for 30 oz ss tumblers in the Hurricane. At $1.30 each the rice is right for six. A couple coats of SEM black vinyl paint and they look stock. A stolen idea from another forum.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:46 PM   #6

THOR #5196
I have the same cup holders as bigben, only difference is after cutting I used 3M weatherstrip glue to hold them in. Work great!

Also you need to search, read up on, and do the CHF (cheap handling fix) on your coach, it makes a HUGE difference in how it drives and handles!
Old 03-14-2017, 01:04 AM   #7

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
skwab - make sure you have the Thor Warranty phone. When an issue comes up and you need service, call them first. They will give a list of folks in your area that can do the warranty work. Going into a dealer and letting them call - not so good. Make sure you know what is being fixed and how it will be done. Tom Overton has been the best to work with (he's probably going "oh no, not again"). But - be your own best advocate.

Again, so happy you're enjoying the coach. And hey, when they are all parked - they are terrific. Enjoy.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:59 AM   #8

THOR #6633
Thanks again everyone - great info - I talked with the service department at MHSRV where we purchased ours and they said since we were still within the first 30 days they could fast track us (whatever that means!) But I'll call Thor as well BigBen and get everyone in on our to do list.

The CHF - I've seen that mentioned but haven't looked it up yet - I'll definitely get on it - thanks!
Old 03-14-2017, 02:17 AM   #9

THOR #5196
If you don't already know you also might want to search Seiki tvs, most won't work on campground cable.

You might also want to look at Jerry's Hurricane mods, great thread of mods you can do, they will mostly apply to your coach also.

Keep having fun!!!
Old 04-02-2017, 10:29 PM   #10

State: Arizona
THOR #6671
Question: we have a new 2017 Thor Quantum 31 with a residential refrigerator. It works great as you indicate. However, we haven't figured out how to get the icemaker to work. With the unit fully chilled, we dropped the lever on the icemaker to turn it on. But after 12 hours, there still was no water in the icemaking bowl to make ice. Am I missing something?
Old 04-02-2017, 10:41 PM   #11

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM1965 View Post
Question: we have a new 2017 Thor Quantum 31 with a residential refrigerator. It works great as you indicate. However, we haven't figured out how to get the icemaker to work. With the unit fully chilled, we dropped the lever on the icemaker to turn it on. But after 12 hours, there still was no water in the icemaking bowl to make ice. Am I missing something?
I'm betting the water valve to ice maker is turned off.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:53 PM   #12

THOR #6671
Not sure where the valve is located, but at least I know what to look for! Thank you!
Old 04-02-2017, 11:55 PM   #13

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
If u are not connected to city water connection make sure there is water in your fresh water tank and the water pump is turned on.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:01 AM   #14

THOR #5196
If your water heater is on the the slide-out look under the sink, that's where ours is. Should be a red plastic pipe with a valve, whichever way it is turned try the opposite and see if you get hot water at the sink. Have the sink faucet turned on and to hot when you switch the valve, if that's it you should get hot water right away. Hope this helps!
Old 05-20-2017, 06:21 PM   #15

State: Alaska
THOR #7561
We just purchased a 2017 FourWinds 31W, which is basically the same as a Quantum. We were told by the dealer that they purchase the residential fridges with an ice maker because they are cheaper, but they don't actually run a water line to the fridge. That could be why you don't get ice.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #16

THOR #6671
The problem was solved. Yes, there is a water line to the icemaker. But, there also is a shutoff valve installed in a non-obvious location - behind a stack of drawers to the right of the refrigerator. Another PD31 owner had the same issue and gave a heads up where to look. Thank you for responding - hope you are enjoying your coach as much as we enjoy ours .....
Old 06-28-2017, 11:00 PM   #17

Model: Windsport 34j
State: Iowa
THOR #5651
We agree! Have had our 34j (2016) since August. Had to replace the front thermostat, the toilet wouldn't hold water and had it replaced, lubed the awning they said they fixed and didn't. Couldn't be happier with the larger refrigerator. Love the gas line that goes to our grill. Yes, 6 televisions are extreme but we simply love the design...especially for the money. We can always welcome guests. Many of our friends don't feel they have room. I haven't seen a floor plan that fit us this well. It is just the two of us and our little dog but we are so comfortable! Easier to drive than our Class C, two air conditioners, much better lighting and oodles of storage. Love, love, love!!!!! Have fun. (PS- we are from Iowa but loved Tyler, TX last year!)
Old 10-19-2017, 11:30 PM   #18

State: Alabama
THOR #9516
Hate to mention what may be obvious, but are you hooked to shore water, and if not, is the water pump on?
Old 10-19-2017, 11:32 PM   #19

State: Alabama
THOR #9516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawpaw's House View Post
Hate to mention what may be obvious, but are you hooked to shore water, and if not, is the water pump on?
Oops. Been answered. Sorry.