Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2023, 02:55 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31VW
State: Tennessee
THOR #30219
Hot Water

Just returned from 1st camping trip. We have a tankless water heater in our 2021 Thor Chateau 31wv. We could not get hot water. A friendly camper came over and told us to turn on the hot water pump to get hot water. We did and we got hot water but there are several warnings in the manual which tells us "Do not turn on water pump when connected to city water". So I don't want to ruin the pump or do any damage. So what should I do? Even though the pump was on, we didn't always get hot water in the bathroom but we did have hot water in the kitchen with the pump on. What am I doing wrong?

Old 08-02-2023, 11:20 AM   #2

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by roylindsey@yahoo.com View Post
Just returned from 1st camping trip. We have a tankless water heater in our 2021 Thor Chateau 31wv. We could not get hot water. A friendly camper came over and told us to turn on the hot water pump to get hot water. We did and we got hot water but there are several warnings in the manual which tells us "Do not turn on water pump when connected to city water". So I don't want to ruin the pump or do any damage. So what should I do? Even though the pump was on, we didn't always get hot water in the bathroom but we did have hot water in the kitchen with the pump on. What am I doing wrong?
There are thousands of posts on this subject. There is nothing wrong with running the water pump and the city water connection at the same time. Your tankless water heater must have a minimum water flow before it will turn on the propane flame to heat the water. If the campground has low water pressure you often will not have enough flow for the tankless water heater to work. We just camped last week at a campground that had extremely low water pressure and everyday had fill our water tank and always use the water pump for the water heater to work.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 10:18 AM   #3

Model: Challenger 35MQ
State: Florida
THOR #21743
If you have a display, make sure your propane is firing when the hot water is on. You will get a flame indicator on your display. That seems to be the case since the hot water works when the water pump is on, but just be sure. If you have water running and the propane is not firing, may be water pressure.
Old 08-10-2023, 01:45 AM   #4
mjd

Model: Axis
State: Florida
THOR #29293
Hot water

Agree with the pressure comment. It is a safety feature so there is no flame without proper water supply. I do run the pump to help combat that issue. Thinking about slightly increasing GPM with new pump. Wife wants hot shower every time.
Old 08-16-2023, 08:57 PM   #5

Model: Luminate CC35
State: Indiana
THOR #30005
We turn hot water temp to 104 and only use hot water to shower, leave cold off or just a little to regulate
Old 08-17-2023, 02:36 AM   #6
SAS

Model: Challenger 37FH
State: South Carolina
THOR #18567
Water flow is most important. Be sure to use a 5/8 inch diameter water hose. 1/2 inch will not give you the flow needed.
Old 08-17-2023, 04:22 PM   #7

Model: Luminate CC35
State: Indiana
THOR #30005
Filters and pressure regulators will slow flow also. I very rarely use pressure regulator, all RVs I've owned are plumbed with standard plumbing components that should take the pressure. Older RVs should use regulator due to age and material used in the day. Newer RVs I would hope to be plumbed to standards. I see hose clamps on most campgrounds, if barbs and clamps hold, the PEX fittings used newer rvs will.
I would agree that if for some reason the water system is very high pressure use a regulator.