Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2017, 01:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Paint / Color Protection

We pick up our '17 Challenger LX this Thursday. Very excited for our first RV!
The finance manager called me to ask if we want the Paint Color protection package, which includes interior and exterior, warrants the paint from fading, dash from cracking, seat material, etc. regularly just under $4k but mine for the low low price of $2485.

We declined it. My thought is, it's like the undercoat protection car dealers offer, and is just a money maker for the dealer.

Just checking while there's still time... anyone feel I should get it?

Thanks.

The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:45 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
I unfortunately agreed to have the paint protection applied for $1800. My 2016 Axis had the HD Max exterior. When completed I couldn't tell if it was applied or not. IMO just another way for the dealer to upsell junk. I recently traded up to a Thor Windsport and as you might expect the paint protection did not increase the resale value of the Axis. My advice is DONT buy any programs the dealer offers even if they tell you it will only raise your payment $10 a month. If you calculate the additional money you spend a month for the paint protection, a $1800 item will cost you quite a bit more. This is how the finance guys make money. They get a commission on what they get you to buy.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
The finance manager called me to ask if we want the Paint Color protection package, which includes interior and exterior, warrants the paint from fading, dash from cracking, seat material, etc. regularly just under $4k but mine for the low low price of $2485.

We declined it. My thought is, it's like the undercoat protection car dealers offer, and is just a money maker for the dealer.

Thanks.
There were 4 protection plans available when I purchased my 1 year old used MH
1 Extended warranty
2 Tire and rim protection
3 Gap insurance
4 Interior and exterior protection

We purchased all 4 and got them after negotiating with dealer at a substantial discount. The only one I am still thinking if I should was the Int Ext protection but wife wanted it. I would get a copy of it and read carefully what is covered and what isn't. My sales rep hit on while we live in Florida the decal stripping fades and paint oxidizes with the hot sun so this is something that would be covered especially if we go to sell it we could have them redone before hand. When I look at the policy it seems that is not covered, I will get a test on it end of July when i bring it in for yearly service as I have an area where the paint is oxidizing in 8 months. All others I have no issue with especially the gap insurance as my auto insurer didn't offer it on MH

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #4

THOR #7863
Thanks for the replies! (I love this forum!). We are looking at extended warranties, and I'm interested in talking with them about tires/rims, considering the cost of RV tires. We live in Arizona, but I've only ever had one vehicle fade and that came after my wife paid our son's friend to detail her 12 year old Yukon... after he buffed it, the hood looks like my hair - used to be black, but now it's half gray!
Old 06-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #5

Model: Challenger 37 LX
THOR #7853
Mike in AZ,

We too are scheduled to pick up or Challenger on Thursday, (tomorrow). As some of you may know, I asked about a few of these warranties in here to get some opinions from folks with more experience with them than I have. As it stands now, here's what we are planning :

Platinum Protection Systems (exterior and interior protection) supposed to be some kind of teflon polymer protection stuff for around $2300. I'll apply my own protectant as needed and we have full body paint, so ... a Big fat NO on that one.

Cornerstone Extended Service Agreement- $5628/5yrs ($1125/yr) $200 deductible ($150 if General RV does the work) Gonna pass on this for now and find one during the first year depending on what problems we may encounter during the first year.

Coach Net (RV technical and roadside assistance) Probably gonna do this one for $795/5yrs ($159/yr) Supposed to give us 24/7 tech assistance, roadside assistance, etc. Plus it gives a discount on labor when being serviced at General RV stores where we are purchasing it. It also applies to personal vehicles... Gonna give this one a shot and see how it works.

Tire Shield pays for the tire in the event of a flat. This along with Coach Net roadside should take care of any tire issues. $1159/5 yrs ($232/yr)

We've been struggling with this, I'm sure I speak for Mike when I say any other opinions would be appreciated.

Also, any experiences dealing with General RV ?? Good , Bad, Ugly?

Good Luck Mike, see ya on the other side
Old 06-14-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We picked up our Axis from the Brownstown location of General RV back in 2014. They were pretty good about things: Noticed a few items that needed to be fixed, ordered the parts but let us take it home until the parts came in. When the parts came in I think they had it a week--and the week was spent mostly tracing down wiring issues with the 7-wire trailer plug in the back.

Since we're now 2 years out of warranty we're not limited to them for the work and have had several places work on our unit (including Factory Service--which will work in warranty as well).

At this point I think we feel we're just getting the RV to the point where we really like it... (not that we didn't before but the last few nagging issues that seemed to not go away have finally been addressed by me or some other service tech.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:40 PM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Pirate View Post
Mike in AZ,

...As it stands now, here's what we are planning :

Platinum Protection Systems (exterior and interior protection) supposed to be some kind of teflon polymer protection stuff for around $2300. I'll apply my own protectant as needed and we have full body paint, so ... a Big fat NO on that one.
Agree on this one - not convinced these do anything - the dealers do push it hard.

Quote:
Cornerstone Extended Service Agreement- $5628/5yrs ($1125/yr) $200 deductible ($150 if General RV does the work) Gonna pass on this for now and find one during the first year depending on what problems we may encounter during the first year.
Initially said yes - changed my mind to no - and went with external plan later.

Quote:
Coach Net (RV technical and roadside assistance) Probably gonna do this one for $795/5yrs ($159/yr) Supposed to give us 24/7 tech assistance, roadside assistance, etc. Plus it gives a discount on labor when being serviced at General RV stores where we are purchasing it. It also applies to personal vehicles... Gonna give this one a shot and see how it works.
I got this 'free' for first year (nothing is free - I paid for it somewhere) - renewed once.. thought I renewed a second time - then tried to use the service... Wasn't impressed with their customer service - and when I did get to talk to a tech for a slide issue, he wasn't able to help... Call to Thor's 800 number got me better support.
Switched to Good Sams Roadside now...

Quote:
Tire Shield pays for the tire in the event of a flat. This along with Coach Net roadside should take care of any tire issues. $1159/5 yrs ($232/yr)
Good Sams extended service has a tire option - I use that along with their roadside for full coverage.. (Doesn't cover worn out tires - must have tread "to lincoln's head"... Not generally an issue on RV.
Quote:
Also, any experiences dealing with General RV ?? Good , Bad, Ugly?
I also bought my last RV from General RV in Brownstown... Good experience with sales person and service manager... Sales person retired a month later - and service manager moved to Florida to open their Tampa location (which Ed Felker used)... Since you are in FL - you may benefit from that as well.

I found very different policies by location...
Brownstown doesn't take service appointments - you bring it in, and they keep it till they get to it...
White Lake (also in MI and actually closer to where I lived at the time) takes appointments but they are booked weeks out.
Tampa (per Ed) takes a limited number of 'first come first serve' clients each day - in addition to appointments - which I personally like (but still a couple of hours from me now).

I had most work done in White Lake after initial delivery... Other than having to call to prompt them to get my RV into the service bay and look at it after having it a week - I was happy with their service. They did correct all the issues and worked with the extended service company.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:42 PM   #8

THOR #7377
Take it to a good detail shop once a year.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:16 PM   #9

THOR #7863
Thanks for all the replies, and great advice!

I called United States Warranty Corp, and got a quote for 5, 6 and 7 year extended coverage. Prices seemed reasonable, will compare to the Good Sam policy Camping World offers tomorrow. Waiting until the factory warranty is nearly up makes sense too.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:28 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Switched to Good Sams Roadside now...

Good Sams extended service has a tire option - I use that along with their roadside for full coverage.. (Doesn't cover worn out tires - must have tread "to lincoln's head"... Not generally an issue on RV.
Thanks Greg
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:05 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post

Thanks.
We purchased; Resistall, for our first coach. We did not research it and just went with the finance guys raving reviews. I paid $2,000 It was not applied properly especially inside the coach. I complained and received my money back. For our Axis, I negotiated the exterior only price down to $1,000. My son works for a company that paints airplanes. We compared products and determined that a grand for Resistall was a good price. It must be hard to put on properly, because I wasn't too thrilled with the second job either.