Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2017, 05:42 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.3
State: California
THOR #6377
Palazzo propane quick connect

Has anyone plumbed a propane quick connect to their Palazzo?

Old 02-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
for what? bar-b-que hookup, or staying awhile with a hookup to a larger propane tank?
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #3

THOR #6377
For a BBQ and fire pit
Old 02-22-2017, 02:03 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
no, but it sounds like a simple project, as long as the adapter does not interfere with closing the bay door when traveling... : )
Old 02-22-2017, 03:38 PM   #5

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
It's an easy job. Just have to figure out which side of the propane regulator to tie in to. Amazon has all the fittings. Here is mine on my Thor Ace
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	4036  
Old 02-22-2017, 07:04 PM   #6

THOR #6377
Okay, I see you plumbed in after the regulator. How long is your hose? Do you run it under the coach to the passenger side?
Old 02-22-2017, 11:22 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Parks, what you are wanting is an Extend a Stay adapter, they make a bunch. There are several hoses in different lengths, you'll just have to measure to see what will work for you. You can get Extend a Stay both from Amazon and Camping World. I installed an adapter on the Tuscany we had and used it a lot for a BBQ grill, worked great!
Old 02-22-2017, 11:58 PM   #8

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parks0412 View Post
Okay, I see you plumbed in after the regulator. How long is your hose? Do you run it under the coach to the passenger side?
That is the passenger side. I have a 20' hose for the campfire and grill.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:34 AM   #9

THOR #6377
Yes, I have researched the extend a stay. It installs between the tank and the regulator and provides a port for a hose to connect to a BBQ that uses the one pound propane cylinders (Char-broil). And a second port to connect a hose attached to an additional tank to provide extra propane.

The Char-broil has a regulator on the BBQ. Whether you use a small cylinder or a hose from a larger tank they both connect to the regulator on the bbq.

I have a camp chef stove/BBQ that connects to a 5 gal propane tank. The regulator is on the end of the hose that comes from the stove and attaches to the tank.

Camp Chef sells a quick connect hose to attch to an RV. It replaces the hose with the regulator with one with a male quick connect and no regulator.
This is because the RV's propane has already been regulated.

If I use an extend a stay fitting, it will provide unregulated gas. I thought about running a high pressure hose from MH tank to camp chef and connect using the hose/regulator from stove. But it might be dangerous to run a 25' high pressure hose under the MH and through camp.

I like hittintherooad's solution. Tee in after the regulator. Then I can buy the quick connect hose from camp chef. However, the hose is only 8 feet. I will need an extension to reach from the MH tank on drivers side to the stove on the passenger side.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:43 AM   #10

THOR #6377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
It's an easy job. Just have to figure out which side of the propane regulator to tie in to. Amazon has all the fittings. Here is mine on my Thor Ace
My tank is on the drivers side, but I want to cook on the passenger side. How long is your hose? Do you drag it under the coach to the passenger side?
Old 02-23-2017, 12:51 AM   #11

THOR #5196
Parks, you could t into the tank with steel black pipe and brass, then run it over to passenger side and add necessary quick disconnect fittings. I would use steel pipe rather than hose for protection from road hazards. If you do it this way just be sure to carefully check for leaks at each connection.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:12 AM   #12
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
My 2000 Infinity came with a low pressure (after regulator) quick connect for outside grill... Purchased an Olympian grill with no regulator meant for that connection.

The 2014 Hurricane had no connection - I asked the dealer to add as part of the sale - but they installed an extend-a-stay instead (ahead of the regulator). Still use the same grill - but had to replace the hose and add a regulator.

If I had my choice - I would prefer the connected AFTER the regulator - and use a grill/other without its own regulator. I've already gone through several small (cheap?) regulators for the grill - while the RV built in regulator does fine... I have a new 2-stage waiting for the current single to fail again.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:49 AM   #13

THOR #6377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
That is the passenger side. I have a 20' hose for the campfire and grill.
The longest hose I can find on amazon is 12'. Where did you get yours?
Old 12-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #14

THOR #7505
I purchased a 27.2 ACE and wonder if it is regulated. I really don't know what I'm talking about, but my unit is in service and while it's there, should I ask them to plumb in an adapter so I can connect my Camp Chef grill to the Propane tank? Or, with the quick adapter, is it all ready?
Old 12-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #15
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lael Engstrom View Post
I purchased a 27.2 ACE and wonder if it is regulated. I really don't know what I'm talking about, but my unit is in service and while it's there, should I ask them to plumb in an adapter so I can connect my Camp Chef grill to the Propane tank? Or, with the quick adapter, is it all ready?
The RV has a regulator located right at the propane tank... Depending on whether your grill has a regulator, you can tap in before the regulator (extend-a-stay type) and use regulator on grill, or tap in after the regulator (typical quick connect) and use a grill without the regulator.

Both methods work, and grills can often be converted from one to the other.
You nee to have one (and only one) regulator between tank and grill.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:20 PM   #16

THOR #5196
The regulator is usually located in a small plastic housing right after the valve to the tank, any pipes, hoses, or fittings attached after the plastic box are regulated. DO NOT hook up any adapters ahead of the regulator, you will end up with a fireball!!! If you want to use a BBQ that already has a regulator there are lots of adapters available to replace it. If you need a hose longer than 12’ go to a propane dealer, many have the fittings and hose to make whatever length you need.

One other thing about making adapter connections. Do not use white Teflon tape, it can fail, then you have a leak and a potential for a fire!!! Use gas rated pipe dope or yellow Teflon tape.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:58 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
The regulator is usually located in a small plastic housing right after the valve to the tank, any pipes, hoses, or fittings attached after the plastic box are regulated. DO NOT hook up any adapters ahead of the regulator, you will end up with a fireball!!! If you want to use a BBQ that already has a regulator there are lots of adapters available to replace it. If you need a hose longer than 12’ go to a propane dealer, many have the fittings and hose to make whatever length you need.

One other thing about making adapter connections. Do not use white Teflon tape, it can fail, then you have a leak and a potential for a fire!!! Use gas rated pipe dope or yellow Teflon tape.
Are you really trying to say that all the extend-a-stay type installations are fireballs waiting to happen?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:09 PM   #18

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Are you really trying to say that all the extend-a-stay type installations are fireballs waiting to happen?
Absolutely not! I have used extend-a-stay products probably since they came on the market. Don’t think I added enough information, only had 1 cup of coffee.

I should have said don’t use adapter in front of regulator unless what you are attaching has its own regulator. Unregulated propane hitting a burner is what causes the fireball! Seen it happen, no one hurt, but it was exciting to watch!!!

Sorry for my misinformation, unintentional!
Old 12-17-2017, 06:49 PM   #19

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Had one added to mine when we bought it. Tank is on the left side, connector hose runs in compartment on the right side, along the rear wall and terminates just short of the access door, for a BBQ connection.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #20

Model: Challenger 37 LX
THOR #7853
I tapped into the gas line downstream of the tank regulator, added a female quick connect with shutoff, took the original gas line and regulator off of the grill and installed a male quick connect. Now I simply connect the hose to the grill , open the shutoff on the hose and I'm cooking in about 30 seconds. Works awesome.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote