Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2019, 12:37 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #12479
Possible that my "new" rig was actually bought and returned by another buyer?

Just purchased a "new" 2018 class C. I noticed that it was really dusty, floors and other areas were dirty when we took it for a test drive. I realize this is a last yr model as the 2019's are rolling out, but the dirt looked really old. When I picked it up today I discovered a few things that needed fixing. While looking in the unit I found a Pre-delivery Inspection Form with some of those same items listed as requiring attention. Some were done and some were still needing a fix. The PDI form was dated August 6, 2018.

I am wondering if that inspection was done for a previous buyer who returned the unit to the dealer? Maybe these forms also are used when dealers receive the units from Thor? I have learned in my 60+ years that you can't always trust everyone.

Is there any way to verify that I am the only owner?

Old 01-27-2019, 01:05 AM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucita white View Post
Just purchased a "new" 2018 class C. I noticed that it was really dusty, floors and other areas were dirty when we took it for a test drive. I realize this is a last yr model as the 2019's are rolling out, but the dirt looked really old. When I picked it up today I discovered a few things that needed fixing. While looking in the unit I found a Pre-delivery Inspection Form with some of those same items listed as requiring attention. Some were done and some were still needing a fix. The PDI form was dated August 6, 2018.

I am wondering if that inspection was done for a previous buyer who returned the unit to the dealer? Maybe these forms also are used when dealers receive the units from Thor? I have learned in my 60+ years that you can't always trust everyone.

Is there any way to verify that I am the only owner?
DMV should be able to check for a previous title.

2018 Hurricane 31S (sold)
mpinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:12 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
I believe that if the vehicle had a previous owner, it would be reflected on the title for the vehicle. At least in our state, the title comes with the paperwork necessary to register the vehicle. If it had been sold previously I would think the previous owners name would be on the title.
On the other hand, someone may have planned to buy it and backed out at the last minute. Being it a year old unit, it could very well got dirty sitting on the lot.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:27 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucita white View Post
...I have learned in my 60+ years that you can't always trust everyone.
In the RV world, you can't trust ANYONE! It's possible that your coach went through an auction. The coach we traded on our Vegas had been shown at RV shows, maybe many of them. Maybe that's the history of your coach, too.

Print your own PDI form and take your time to check every item to your satisfaction. There's a form you can use in Ed Felker's excellent crowd sourced manual for Axis/Vegas (with a lot of other useful information). Here's the link: https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP53x246awlGrg8B-I
Old 01-27-2019, 01:34 AM   #5

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
It would had to be titled. Most likely is was used by someone at the dealership for a spell on dealer plates.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:42 AM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
My coach had been taken to several shows by the dealer. It had miles and some dirt and trash in it. But it has been great with no failures at all in 8000 miles. In my state the title will say if it’s new or used. I think I’d not worry about it. It is likely that you’ll have a few repairs to tend to but otherwise just go and enjoy!
Old 01-27-2019, 01:47 AM   #7

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Is there any way to verify that I am the only owner?[/QUOTE]

If your worried about it. I think it’s $35 for carfax. It will tell you any titling and other checks.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:17 AM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Yup! Carfax should tell you what you're looking for...
I just hope that it tells you what you want to hear!
Old 01-27-2019, 01:18 PM   #9

Model: 22FE
THOR #5330
Why would you even considering buying it if you thought it was used or you felt you were scammed by the dealer? Why would you take delivery of it if it was dirty inside or out? Did the odometer have any miles on it? Did you even look?
Old 01-27-2019, 01:26 PM   #10

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Did the dealer tell you if it was pre-owned?
Did you ask?
Other than the dirty floors, or whatever, does it look new?

Get the issues you found looked at, since you just bought it under the pretense, new old stock (NOS).
Enjoy, if anyone ever gets one out the gate, they are very fortunate if an issue never surfaces.

There is a lot of information, and a lot of folks willing to share "what-to-dos", on this forum.
To me, taking the RV's cherry, being first owner, would not matter so much, unless lied to about it.
If that were so, leverage on getting those nuances corrected!

I apologize if anyone took me as a little crude, I am at times.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:19 PM   #11

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
sounds like the unit arrived at your dealer on Aug 6, 2018, almost 1 1/2 years ago...that's a long time to be sitting, collecting 'dust', possible 'dirt' from those looking at the unit during that time, the unit being moved around the lot, etc.
If you're buying from a dealer, then this is pretty normal for a 'last year's' model coach. It will have some miles on it because it had to be driven from the factory in northern Indiana, and will have even more miles if the unit was test driven several or many times.

Chances are, it's just a vehicle that has been sitting around for a LONG time - which is also probably why you're getting a deal on it.
Other than that, it's still a NEW coach and will be sold and registered just as any other new one is. The warranty will start the day you purchased it, and will continue for the same length of time as any other newly sold brand new coach.
Take a look at any initial issues you find, and have your dealer take care of them - that's what your warranty is for.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #12

THOR #4735
Arrow

sounds like the unit arrived at your dealer on Aug 6, 2018, almost 6 months ago...that's a long time to be sitting, collecting 'dust', possible 'dirt' from those looking at the unit during that time, the unit being moved around the lot, etc. It would have been one of the very last 2018 model coaches shipped from the factory, which does not make it any less viable as a coach than one shipped first, over a year or more ago.
If you're buying from a dealer, all this is pretty normal for a 'last year's' model coach. It will have some miles on it because it had to be driven from the factory in northern Indiana, and will have even more miles if the unit was test driven several or many times.

Chances are, it's just a vehicle that has been sitting around for a LONG time - which is also probably why you're getting a deal on it.
Other than that, it's still a NEW coach and will be sold and registered just as any other new one is. The warranty will start the day you purchased it, and will continue for the same length of time as any other newly sold brand new coach.
Take a look at any initial issues you find, and have your dealer take care of them - that's what your warranty is for.

I also purchased a 'last year model' coach back in 2014. It was delivered to the dealer in March, and sat around until I purchased it the end of August. The 'brand new' 2015 models were sitting right next to it - but other than a very few minor differences, I saw no reason not to accept a $10,000 price decrease on a 2014 model versus one right next to it for $10,000 more.
The same thing happens in the auto industry, which is why right now you are seeing so many tv ads to move out any '2018' model left over cars, and at a great discount.

also, your own definition of 'dust' and 'dirt' may be totally different from the rest of us - we can't 'see' what you are referring to - but if it feels so unacceptable to you - have the dealer clean it before you take delivery ...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:34 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
Did you ask?
Dealers are known for always telling the truth: right?

Get yourself some independent confirmation, and you'll be much happier!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:11 PM   #14

THOR #12479
The unit was dirty when I test drove it. They cleaned it fairly well before I accepted delivery. I did "even look" at the odometer and found that it has 400 miles in excess of the miles from the plant in Indiana. The idea that the unit may have been previously sold was due to the PDI sheet that I discovered after I got the unit home. I was asking if these sheets are used by dealers when they place the unit in stock. This isn't my first rodeo. This is the fourth unit I have purchased. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:18 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The mileage might be easily explained: this rig could have been originally taken to another dealership, and then traded-off to the one that you dealt with.
(This is what happened with our Outlaw: it came from a dealer in Ohio...)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:20 PM   #16

THOR #12479
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
Did you ask?
Other than the dirty floors, or whatever, does it look new?

Get the issues you found looked at, since you just bought it under the pretense, new old stock (NOS).
Enjoy, if anyone ever gets one out the gate, they are very fortunate if an issue never surfaces.

There is a lot of information, and a lot of folks willing to share "what-to-dos", on this forum.
To me, taking the RV's cherry, being first owner, would not matter so much, unless lied to about it.
If that were so, leverage on getting those nuances corrected!

I apologize if anyone took me as a little crude, I am at times.
My question was do dealers use the PDI's for placing the units in stock when they take delivery? I know how to do about the issues. This is my fourth RV, so I am aware that there are usual items needing attention. I had no reason to believe the unit may have been sold previously until I discovered the PDI after getting it home. Just a thought that developed upon finding the PDI and remembering how dirty the unit was before delivery. And yes, your comment was crude.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:22 PM   #17

THOR #12479
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
sounds like the unit arrived at your dealer on Aug 6, 2018, almost 1 1/2 years ago...that's a long time to be sitting, collecting 'dust', possible 'dirt' from those looking at the unit during that time, the unit being moved around the lot, etc.
If you're buying from a dealer, then this is pretty normal for a 'last year's' model coach. It will have some miles on it because it had to be driven from the factory in northern Indiana, and will have even more miles if the unit was test driven several or many times.

Thanks for the reply. However, the unit arrived at the dealership less than 6 months ago-not a year and a half according to the PDI.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:25 PM   #18

THOR #12479
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
sounds like the unit arrived at your dealer on Aug 6, 2018, almost 6 months ago...that's a long time to be sitting, collecting 'dust', possible 'dirt' from those looking at the unit during that time, the unit being moved around the lot, etc. It would have been one of the very last 2018 model coaches shipped from the factory, which does not make it any less viable as a coach than one shipped first, over a year or more ago.
If you're buying from a dealer, all this is pretty normal for a 'last year's' model coach. It will have some miles on it because it had to be driven from the factory in northern Indiana, and will have even more miles if the unit was test driven several or many times.

I also purchased a 'last year model' coach back in 2014. It was delivered to the dealer in March, and sat around until I purchased it the end of August. The 'brand new' 2015 models were sitting right next to it - but other than a very few minor differences, I saw no reason not to accept a $10,000 price decrease on a 2014 model versus one right next to it for $10,000 more.
The same thing happens in the auto industry, which is why right now you are seeing so many tv ads to move out any '2018' model left over cars, and at a great discount.

also, your own definition of 'dust' and 'dirt' may be totally different from the rest of us - we can't 'see' what you are referring to - but if it feels so unacceptable to you - have the dealer clean it before you take delivery ...
The unit was dirty when I test drove it. It was cleaned before I accepted delivery.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:26 PM   #19

THOR #4735
and, delivery routes don’t always go directly via google maps, etc, whether weather or other reasons - I can attest, I’ve delivered many.
The ‘pdi’ sheet should not warrant any concern - it’s actually a good sign - they looked it over and made any notes when it arrived from the factory, that’s all - not sure why that would make anyone assume anything different, or negative - use it to your advantage if something was noted that has not been brought up to your satisfaction.

Dealers cannot sell ‘used’ units as new, there’s no concern there - if they or the factory ‘took it back’, then it would have to be sold as ‘used’, regardless of how ‘long’ it had been ‘used’... even one day. Once the contract is signed, it is no longer ‘new’.
I even delivered one back to fleetwood for this exact reason - a customer had issues and demanded their money back - they required it to come back to the factory, at the factory’s expense, too.

enjoy!
Old 01-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #20

THOR #4735
I don't think anyone here wants to come across as crude or rude, but the posture of your original post headline and concerns makes it sound as if you are accusing a dealer of somehow underhanding you, or otherwise trying to pull something, which can bring out the 'corrections' from us other owners and experienced folks who love the RVing world, and even the industry itself.

When you pose a question on this forum, you are asking for answers and feedback, though we don't always come across as with nice responses as you might be wanting - I get it - our apologies.

I would only suggest that your evidence doesnt' bring about a condemnation of the dealer, or the industry, only some facts that have made you uncomfortable, even after the sale. That's pretty common for most of us, even. There are things we had 'wished' we had done before we left the lot, questions we had asked, etc.

Don't fret it, I'm sure you've got a great coach....trave, enJOY! : )