Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2019, 11:33 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Illinois
THOR #16014
Potential purchase: Need Advice

Hi -

I’m a family of 4 (3 and 7 yr old) who are looking to get a RV for occasional vacationers. Plan to visit local areas around state of Illinois with plans to go on one or two longer trips per year.

On occasion my parents will use it and could be with us so planning that in as well.

Key things we are looking for is

- outside kitchen
- outside tv and speakers, bigger bathroom shower. Prefer sink separate to toilet/shower.

I’ve been looking at a 2017 Thor motor coach hurricane 34p for sale that I feel fits are needs on what we are looking for. I’d like feedback on over quality of this unit to anyone that has them? Both mechanical, interior, exterior. How is customer service?

Here are the specs. Selling at $75k with a private seller. Priced right or feel I could get at lower price?

ONLY 1,343 miles, V-10 gas, 34ft interior 36ft exterior, Transferable Corner Stone Warranty 10-27-2021, Transferable tire shield warranty 10-27-2021, king bed, outside kitchen w/refrigerator and sink,residential refrigerator inside w/ice maker, 3 LED televisions, double sinks in bathroom, private toilet and shower, DVD, 2 AC’s, quick connect propane hookup for grill, auto leveling, generator, pull out pantry, Stackable washer and dryer, Gas stove and oven, outside shower, electric slide down full bunk, Sofa fold out bed, Dinette fold down bed, 20ft Electric awning w/remote, back up camera and side mirror cameras heated, 2 slide outs, large microwave, inside outside speakers, satellite, electric retractable entrance step, lots of under carriage storage, Tow package w/break system, 7 seatbelts, sleeps 8, stored in heated barn,.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4881031B-9381-4B92-B0A4-12F7F89FE469.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	18961   Click image for larger version

Name:	48268A66-A428-47CE-8001-9E9C3A25C5F7.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	18962  

Old 07-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our little corner of things...
It sure looks as if you're on the right track with your choice.
Will you have an opportunity to take it for a test ride?
The Ford F53 chassis often benefits from what is referred to as the "CHF".
I think it stands for "cheap handling fix".
You might want to look that term up, and see what sort of changes it invovles.
(I've never owned a rig built on that chassis, so my information is based upon what I've seen in here...)
Happy Shopping!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:20 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Purchase

I would not consider buying until you have a reputable RV inspector take a good look at every aspect of it. Just so you know, there are many discussions in this forum about having to do suspension modifications to make these rigs comfortable to drive. This can cost you thousands more. Eyes wide open as they say.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:34 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
THOR #7074
Another outlook.... Having owned rv's since my kids were younger than yours and now out of college. I can buy anysize motorhome I have ever wanted. I have never gone over the 25 ft size for this reason. The 2 percent of the time you are "all together" is not worth it because at your kids ages a smaller unit would be used more. For 20 yrs. We have taken ours to every kids soccer, baseball,tennis,dance,apple picking,blueberry picking, amusement parks. Plus traveling around the country. In your situation same as mine. I think you would get more quality of life enjoyment out of a smaller rig you can take anywhere at a whim at this point in your life. Used as a large SUV with all facilities built in for your family. PM me anytime for more info .... Good luck Rev
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:23 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
At 1,343 miles and close to 3 years old, why is it being sold? That mileage is not much more than the factory to dealer miles at delivery.

Also you mention "Tow package w/break system". For towing what, and what does the towing package include?

I suggest you search the forum for that model and floor plan and check all areas where others have experienced issues.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:23 PM   #6

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
Welcome,
I agree that it's worth the money to have a professional inspector look at everything, since there is a lot of complicated interrelated systems that could have issues even on brand new rigs.
If you are first timers, I also suggest renting something similar a couple-few times (although most likely a large class C) so you can get a feel for how it is to use everything and to know if it is something you and the family will love before making the commitment on your own, so you don't find yourself doing like the previous owners probably did, which is buy something that they realized after the fact they couldn't afford or use enough to justify.
As for the Hurricane, it is a nice unit at a fair price if you were buying it from a dealer (although I would look at NADA trade in and private sale values and offer something in between). I think you may find it difficult to get good financing rates and terms on a used vehicle private party, which you can also use to negotiate a lower price.
I hope all works out for you and you and your family have nothing but great times!
Old 07-16-2019, 10:23 PM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Welcome aboard that is a good sized rig for a first unit. We drove a 22’ B + for over a dozen years. The outside kitchen is nice but I would prefer the space used for storage. Keep in mind anything over 30 can be tough to get into some of the National Parks and Forest service campgrounds. Our ACE 27.2 at just under 29’ has eliminated some of the places we used to take the B +.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:26 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Welcome aboard that is a good sized rig for a first unit. We drove a 22’ B + for over a dozen years. The outside kitchen is nice but I would prefer the space used for storage. Keep in mind anything over 30 can be tough to get into some of the National Parks and Forest service campgrounds. Our ACE 27.2 at just under 29’ has eliminated some of the places we used to take the B +.
I traveled fro 17 years in a class A without an outside kitchen and reclining love seats. Now I have both and wonder how I survived without both. The 34P has a good layout with no slides under the patio awning allowing full use of the compartments when parked without getting on your hands and knees. It still has over 100 cuft of basement storage even with the outside kitchen.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:35 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum!

Gotta second the suggestion to rent before you buy. You'll learn a lot about what you really need. An inspection is a smart move, too. RV's have most of the mechanicals of a sticks and bricks home, plus they must endure endless portable mini-earthquakes.

We had a 33' Class A for years, and traded down to the Vegas 25.2 because we decided we could do fine with less space. But there are only 2 of us. With the fold down couch and the drop down bed, a young family could easily make a rig like this work. There are tons of used Class Cs on the market that might fit you, but you would give up the outdoor kitchen and probably the outdoor TV. Besides getting into more campsites, shorter rigs are easier to maneuver at gas stations.

As you do your budget, be sure you factor in depreciation. A rig that you pay $75 grand for today will be worth $50 grand in a flash, and continue to devalue. If you put down a minimum down payment and stretch the loan over 20 years, you'll be upside down and have to cough up the difference when you sell or trade in a few years. When you budget for repairs, add in replacing the tires every 5 or 6 years. (Another plus for Class C, smaller and cheaper tires.)

As to your quality question, you'll find online complaints on every brand. Many of the issues show up in the first year, and the warranty service varies wildly between dealers. With a used unit, it's your repair shop not Thor that you'll be dealing with. Ask the seller who they used for repairs.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:39 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Welcome to the forum

I would agree with others that have suggested you rent before you buy. If you don't, make sure an independent inspector looks over that coach. Thor has a reputation for zero quality control in the manufacture of its products. With a 2017 model year coach having that few miles it could be possible that the owner got tired of the defects and is selling to end the misery. The adage of buyer beware comes to mind with any Thor product. If you buy it and it is a rolling turd, this forum will have all the info needed to get it right. Best wishes.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:06 AM   #11

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
As mentioned in a previous post, why does the coach have such low miles. That is barely enough for delivery to most areas. Important to have it thoroughly checked out before jumping in. Also, we always felt like Class C's were the best choice when our kids were with us. We didn't switch to a Class A until we were empty nesters. The C just seemed to give the kids more 'kid space' without having to worry about getting them up to make more room to use the kitchen or dinette.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:59 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
As far as the price goes. If you look right now you can find a brand new 2019 Hurricane for a little more than that price. $83K - 89K on Sale (and thats before you negotiate).

Dont let the "list price" or "window sticker" fool you into thinking its a great deal. Most NEW RV's can be purchase for 30% to 40% off of this price.

If you really want this RV, check it out from top to bottom.... better yet have a pro or a seasoned Motor Home owner come with you to look at it.

THEN if it is everything it should be ... offer them $60K and dont pay a penney over $65 K.

If they are "asking for $75K" than means to me they "want $70K" so $65 is a fair offer (if you think its work it).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:05 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
Try to find several similar models and go look at them and drive them as well.

I see no problem with it, low miles are not uncommon as people have big plans and then the RV is more than they can handle or the spouse doesn't like it, or any number of other things. The previous owners are going to take a bloodbath on it, not your problem.

Its also important to understand that the extra warranties are nice, they have so many limitations and such that sometimes they just don't help as much as you wish they would.

Private party financing can be an issue (as someone else mentioned), so make sure you know those costs before you fall in love. I financed my unit myself, and I was bought at a great price, however many RV finanacers wanted a bunch of money down. Yet buying the same RV (well a year older in fact) from a dealer for $20k more wasn't an issue with nothing down with often the SAME FREAKING LENDER.

If you haven't owned a motorhome its also important to know that they are all a 'fix something daily' kinda beast. They are houses that move down the street, not cars.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:29 PM   #14

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
As You are still "looking" will just throw this out there...

1st.. View the "tag" lines at the bottom of the responding posters..
To give you an Idea of where they are coming from and the equipment they have.

Keep in mind..
You Do Not Know......What You Do Not Know..

Your 1st coach is a learning tool..
When You tour/view "In Person" any perspective coach..
View it First with all slides retracted,
If the coach is fully usable without the slides extended, then give it a second look.
(Think wally-docking,rest areas,truckstops...any where that you cannot/do not have room for the slides to be extended)

BUY USED! & buy one with everything you "think" you want and will need..
IF the perspective coach seems a bit small but still "DO-Able" .......REMEMBER!!!
What seemed small... becomes unbearably TINY after being Coop'd up" for a week or more due to weather...
(AKA.....Cabin Fever)
And.... You WILL make mistakes and have booboo's We all have.....(sometimes more than twice..)
Within a year or two you will discover..about the RV

What you love about the RV...
What you can kinda-sorta tolerate with the RV..
And what you absolutely hate about that !@#$%^%$#@! RV.
Then you can go get what you should have gotten in the first place..
Happy Hunting
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #15

THOR #16014
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I would not consider buying until you have a reputable RV inspector take a good look at every aspect of it. Just so you know, there are many discussions in this forum about having to do suspension modifications to make these rigs comfortable to drive. This can cost you thousands more. Eyes wide open as they say.
We plan to have a professional inspect before any purchase.

Can anyone reference or direct me to the suspension concern on these units? I’m not seeing much on the 34p models.

The original purchase was from a military vet and due to health problems he never ended up able to use it and ended up selling to this couple. Since then, the wife preferred the 5th wheel due to more room and they decided not to travel and stay at a specific camping location long term. So they ended up buying a 5 wheel with intent to sell this one. They took it on one trip and since been sitting inside their garage.

Thanks for input...
Old 07-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #16

THOR #16014
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey View Post
Welcome,
I agree that it's worth the money to have a professional inspector look at everything, since there is a lot of complicated interrelated systems that could have issues even on brand new rigs.
If you are first timers, I also suggest renting something similar a couple-few times (although most likely a large class C) so you can get a feel for how it is to use everything and to know if it is something you and the family will love before making the commitment on your own, so you don't find yourself doing like the previous owners probably did, which is buy something that they realized after the fact they couldn't afford or use enough to justify.
As for the Hurricane, it is a nice unit at a fair price if you were buying it from a dealer (although I would look at NADA trade in and private sale values and offer something in between). I think you may find it difficult to get good financing rates and terms on a used vehicle private party, which you can also use to negotiate a lower price.
I hope all works out for you and you and your family have nothing but great times!
How do you see what trade in value would be on these units? I only see private seller on NADA
Old 07-21-2019, 12:33 PM   #17

THOR #16014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I traveled fro 17 years in a class A without an outside kitchen and reclining love seats. Now I have both and wonder how I survived without both. The 34P has a good layout with no slides under the patio awning allowing full use of the compartments when parked without getting on your hands and knees. It still has over 100 cuft of basement storage even with the outside kitchen.
Thanks for the feedback. For us, outside kitchen is something I know we’ll use. Seem to have plenty of storage for us.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2019, 12:35 PM   #18

THOR #16014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Gotta second the suggestion to rent before you buy. You'll learn a lot about what you really need. An inspection is a smart move, too. RV's have most of the mechanicals of a sticks and bricks home, plus they must endure endless portable mini-earthquakes.

We had a 33' Class A for years, and traded down to the Vegas 25.2 because we decided we could do fine with less space. But there are only 2 of us. With the fold down couch and the drop down bed, a young family could easily make a rig like this work. There are tons of used Class Cs on the market that might fit you, but you would give up the outdoor kitchen and probably the outdoor TV. Besides getting into more campsites, shorter rigs are easier to maneuver at gas stations.

As you do your budget, be sure you factor in depreciation. A rig that you pay $75 grand for today will be worth $50 grand in a flash, and continue to devalue. If you put down a minimum down payment and stretch the loan over 20 years, you'll be upside down and have to cough up the difference when you sell or trade in a few years. When you budget for repairs, add in replacing the tires every 5 or 6 years. (Another plus for Class C, smaller and cheaper tires.)

As to your quality question, you'll find online complaints on every brand. Many of the issues show up in the first year, and the warranty service varies wildly between dealers. With a used unit, it's your repair shop not Thor that you'll be dealing with. Ask the seller who they used for repairs.
Given these folks are the 2nd owner and have to think they got a good deal buying from original owner what would you say a reasonable offer would be?

Appreciate the feedback!
Old 07-21-2019, 12:41 PM   #19

THOR #16014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
As far as the price goes. If you look right now you can find a brand new 2019 Hurricane for a little more than that price. $83K - 89K on Sale (and thats before you negotiate).

Dont let the "list price" or "window sticker" fool you into thinking its a great deal. Most NEW RV's can be purchase for 30% to 40% off of this price.

If you really want this RV, check it out from top to bottom.... better yet have a pro or a seasoned Motor Home owner come with you to look at it.

THEN if it is everything it should be ... offer them $60K and dont pay a penney over $65 K.

If they are "asking for $75K" than means to me they "want $70K" so $65 is a fair offer (if you think its work it).
I like your thinking...

I saw a handful of used with less then 6k miles on same model at dealerships going for 77k to $82 with same setup.

They made a point to say they wanted to sell before winter so they can put their 5th wheel in the garage.

Any suggestions on what would be considered a reasonable offer without insulting them? I’m looking for a good deal to buy now otherwise I’ll wait for spring.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2019, 01:54 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeff View Post
Can anyone reference or direct me to the suspension concern on these units? I’m not seeing much on the 34p models.
The layout of the 34P and 31S are nearly the same, with the same two slides on the driver's side. The 34P chassis is slightly heavier because of the larger rear axle. The rear springs are heavier to match the bigger axle. So, body roll (sway) is and has been a problem with all Ford chassis. There are three ways to reduce the body roll: CHF, heavier anti-roll bars and Sumo springs. The ride will still be truck like because of the constant rate leaf springs. Lastly there is tail wag caused by the long rear overhang and the leaf springs in the rear. Adding a rear track bar will eliminate this tail wag which is very noticeable when. Most complain with the front end hunt (wander), but I have never experienced it. A front wheel alignment with emphasis on caster will usually cure wander. I would recommend 4 degrees positive caster.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote