Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
Potential wiring problem after swiveling seats?

We have a 2016 Thor Siesta - Mercedes sprinter chassis, which is probably the relevant factor - and I remember reading somewhere that it's easy to damage the wiring under the seat if you swivel (or unswivel) the seats in a certain way. I think the dealer even warned us about this when we bought it. The problem occurs if the seat is too far forward, or too far back, or if it's an of day of the month... The wiring in question is for the seat belt light, or airbag, or something like that.

We had never swiveled the seats before, but I did the passenger side this past week, and did not have any problems - that I know of, anyway! But I'd like to avoid the problem if possible.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Can someone point me to some information about this? I did a search here, and on the web generally, but did not anything...

Thanks in advance
Dan Kronstadt

Old 07-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Lay on floor with flashlight looking at wire under chair. Have someone slowly rotate chair. You will see if there is going to be a wire problem. And just how far you can rotate before wire begins to get tight. Usually the chair comes with a short lead that is attached to coach wiring during mfg. The connection is the most common failure.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:18 PM   #3

THOR #3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Lay on floor with flashlight looking at wire under chair. Have someone slowly rotate chair. You will see if there is going to be a wire problem. And just how far you can rotate before wire begins to get tight. Usually the chair comes with a short lead that is attached to coach wiring during mfg. The connection is the most common failure.
Thanks - should have thought of that - empirical evidence :-)

Seems like it was described as a problem of the chair being too far forward or too far back when rotated - but I'll figure it out.

D
Old 07-16-2017, 06:51 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
We have that Sprinter chassis, that our Gemini is built on. So far no issues rotating either the driver or passenger seat, when we always do, since those then become part of the interior seating.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:46 AM   #5

THOR #3975
Actually, I just found this question from Feb of this year:
Synergy/Sprinter Airbag/Front Seat Flaw

Airbag light on dash has been illuminated since we took ownership.*
Take to RV dealer, they say, take to Mercedes.
Take to Mercedes, they say, the wiring for activating the seatbelt in case of crash is installed improperly and when the seat is rotated, it cuts or pulls out the necessary wires. They say that Thor installs the rotating chairs/wires. They say they've seen 4 rigs with this same defect.*
Mercedes dealer says if you pay out of pocket, it would be around $400 to fix. They say Thor will not pay them to do it under warranty....so take it back to RV dealer.*
RV dealer, says, "I thought Mercedes puts in those seats" but says will contact Thor and get back to us on how to rectify.*
Someone else said the Siesta - my model - doesn't have this problem - but I think I'll check out the wiring under the seat myself!
D