Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2023, 07:18 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #26214
Non CDL Class B License

So here's something I haven't seen discussed before, and wanted to bring this to other's attention.
My wife found a story about a fellow RVer who had gotten a ticket in my home state of Texas for an improper license for his rig. He had a class C license and his coach was over 26k. According to a new Texas law, there is now a non commercial class B license available to RVers for larger rigs.
Just putting this out there for those of us who drive or pull the larger RVs.
Safe travels

Old 09-18-2023, 07:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1anchor View Post
So here's something I haven't seen discussed before, and wanted to bring this to other's attention.
My wife found a story about a fellow RVer who had gotten a ticket in my home state of Texas for an improper license for his rig. He had a class C license and his coach was over 26k. According to a new Texas law, there is now a non commercial class B license available to RVers for larger rigs.
Just putting this out there for those of us who drive or pull the larger RVs.
Safe travels
I don’t believe that is a new law and there are a bunch of states that require a special license over 26k GVWR. SC is one of the worst I’ve seen requiring a Class E for 26k without towing or a Class F for 26k towing a trailer or TOAD.
Old 09-18-2023, 10:24 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
My Texas class c license which I've had forever says it is good for a single or combination vehicle with GVWR equal to or less than 26,000 pounds. So it's not a new law.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 10:26 PM   #4

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
If you drive bigger equipment it pays to know what combination requires what license. Our farm community is learning this as farm trucks are now mostly tractor trailer rigs and many farms need to drive longer miles from home.
Maybe this is helpful to some here. https://trailandsummit.com/does-a-cl...ck-your-state/
Old 09-18-2023, 11:58 PM   #5

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Would that apply to someone from Ohio that doesn’t require any special lic, that would travel to Texas or a state that has that law, just curious I have a commercial class a anyway.
Old 09-19-2023, 12:09 AM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
Would that apply to someone from Ohio that doesn’t require any special lic, that would travel to Texas or a state that has that law, just curious I have a commercial class a anyway.
You drive based on your home states license.
Old 09-19-2023, 12:18 AM   #7

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
If you drive bigger equipment it pays to know what combination requires what license. Our farm community is learning this as farm trucks are now mostly tractor trailer rigs and many farms need to drive longer miles from home.
Maybe this is helpful to some here. https://trailandsummit.com/does-a-cl...ck-your-state/
Ok so my 31' ACE towing a Jeep gladiator requires a CDL in Wisconsin. RV 31' towbar 3' Jeep 18' total 52' Wisconsin requires a CDL for anything longer than 45' so with a 31' motorhome if your toad is longer than 11' you need a CDL. That is 31' + 3' + 11 = 45' That means even towing a 2 door jeep wrangler that is nearly 14 ' long towed by any RV longer than 28' would need a CDL even for a Class C motorhome.

I think that makes Wisconsin the worst. Since you could be well under 26,000 Lb and still need a CDL if you exceed 45' in total length.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 12:29 AM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Ok so my 31' ACE towing a Jeep gladiator requires a CDL in Wisconsin. RV 31' towbar 3' Jeep 18' total 52' Wisconsin requires a CDL for anything longer than 45' so with a 31' motorhome if your toad is longer than 11' you need a CDL. That is 31' + 3' + 11 = 45' That means even towing a 2 door jeep wrangler that is nearly 14 ' long towed by any RV longer than 28' would need a CDL even for a Class C motorhome.
No. Vehicle itself over 45 feet. Go to the Wisconsin DMV site. The following is an exemption statement.

“Recreational vehicle operators (owned or leased motor home, fifth wheel mobile home or touring mobile home, provided it isn’t longer than 45 feet) not engaged in commercial activity.”

https://cdlguide.wi.gov/
Old 09-19-2023, 01:04 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Have yoi bought rig yet? Says still looking in profile?
Old 09-19-2023, 02:23 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
My Texas class c license which I've had forever says it is good for a single or combination vehicle with GVWR equal to or less than 26,000 pounds. So it's not a new law.
Got my class "C" DL when I moved to TX 6 years ago. Unfortunately TX requires 85 year olds and better to renew their class "C" every two years and no online renews. I guess they think I have to walk-in, talk to the clerk and pass the eye exam to renew my class C.

It is not a bad as seeing an AME for a CFI and scheduling BFR every two years, I guess; but it is still a pain. Hope the DPS computer system doesn't go down like it did last week and I need to reschedule.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 11:21 AM   #11

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
No. Vehicle itself over 45 feet. Go to the Wisconsin DMV site. The following is an exemption statement.

“Recreational vehicle operators (owned or leased motor home, fifth wheel mobile home or touring mobile home, provided it isn’t longer than 45 feet) not engaged in commercial activity.”

https://cdlguide.wi.gov/
I read that as total length. Ambiguity leaves an opportunity for an over zealous LEO to ticket you for improper license in the event you get stopped for some other reason.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 11:57 AM   #12

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
You guys are killing me with abbreviations!
Old 09-19-2023, 01:33 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
I read that as total length. Ambiguity leaves an opportunity for an over zealous LEO to ticket you for improper license in the event you get stopped for some other reason.
How you read it doesn’t matter in the slightest. It’s how the state law is written that matters. Any questions can be answered by the folks at the respective DMV office. They will know far more about their laws that the “experts” on any forum.
Old 09-19-2023, 11:46 PM   #14

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post

yes and we that drive rigs over 26k have a non com class b
i get a break on insurance .. i think they use it like a defensive driving class credit ?

anyway to OP this has been discussed for years here, but the last few its been not in the top 100 for sure

i have never heard of a LEO giving a ticket for not having it...but they can
and i assume some have received such violations

its an easy test, and drive portion... i had to parallel park a 40 foot bus

now that was funny
Old 09-20-2023, 01:25 AM   #15

THOR #26214
LOL that is funny! I'm going to go get the license even if it's for grits and shins. I'm a retired truck driver who had a Class A with tanker and hazmat endorsement for forty years. They took it when my med card expired and I didn't really care. I figure it might be fun to mess with the man a little bit!
Old 09-20-2023, 03:38 AM   #16

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1anchor View Post
LOL that is funny! I'm going to go get the license even if it's for grits and shins. I'm a retired truck driver who had a Class A with tanker and hazmat endorsement for forty years. They took it when my med card expired and I didn't really care. I figure it might be fun to mess with the man a little bit!

the one thing that was weird ...was no AIR check required IMO the air check should have been number 1 on the list of DOs

i bet lots of folks driving rvs with air brakes have no idea what it is or how to do it

but parallel parking cracked me up she had white lines on a strip in a parking lot. i had to wedge into the spot
at the time , i thought i will never have to do this in real life, a few months later heading to south texas i had to parallel park at a rest area of all things
Old 09-20-2023, 04:32 AM   #17

THOR #26214
I agree. I basically do a DOT precheck before we roll every morning just out of habit. I cringe at the thought of those who just jump behind the wheel and blast off without at least a quick walk around. I think the license is more of a formality. And at least a step in the right direction for folks with very limited experience. I'd recommend it.
Safe travels!