Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 09:32 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
Thanks guys. I appreciate you participating in my test.

Is it simply a matter of bitter, grumpy old men? IDK but these RV forums don't seem like they have an abundance of open minded people willing to learn. Interesting and kinda sad.

Since you agree to being snarky, I'll agree with you. Open minded? Sounds like self analysis.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:39 PM   #62

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
Since you agree to being snarky, I'll agree with you. Open minded? Sounds like self analysis.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:55 PM   #63
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Thanks guys. I appreciate you participating in my test.

I was wondering if I should give this forum another chance but clearly the responses from my admittedly snarky post shows that the closed-minded attitude still runs strong here. My post was meant to expose some member's true colors, and it did exactly that. Wow.

This forum is obviously just for a few select people to be able to run up their post counts and hear themselves talk, without actually giving any valuable, factual information. And the hate talk is clearly still strong also. As I've said before, it's really unfortunate because people like me could share a lot of good info on here if it wasn't met with such opposition. Like how I'm safely up an additional 85ft/lbs of torque and almost 50hp over stock 2V V10 power. And how I just came back from a 430 mile trip and still have almost a half a tank of gas left in my E450 gas tank. Yep, I regularly get 550-600 miles out of a tank of gas, and I'm rarely under 70mph, we usually cruise at 75-80. Is it premium? Is it regular? Hmmmm. And how about you guys running 5 Star tunes, I could tell you EXACTLY what they change in their tunes because I have their calibration files. Hint, it does NOTHING for gas mileage and only gives the illusion of a power increase because they manipulate the driver demand tables which basically make the throttle go wide open when your pedal is only at 35%. Yikes. And whether the V10 "likes to rev" or not? Lol. That one made me laugh. So much wrong being spouted as gospel by people that have no idea what they're talking about. This was another good one... Clearly your rv engine defies the laws of physics. lol.

Those are just a few little examples (that directly relate to this thread) of what I "could" share here, if this forum wasn't dominated by a few members that keep people like me away. Is it simply a matter of bitter, grumpy old men? IDK but these RV forums don't seem like they have an abundance of open minded people willing to learn. Interesting and kinda sad.
Bye-bye...
Old 06-16-2019, 11:18 PM   #64
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
The Rec Fuel (no ethanol) in Florida is rated at 90 octane so that the higher performance outboard engines can run on it.
Maybe at the marinas but wally world sells 87 non-ethanol gas at their pumps.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
Old 06-17-2019, 01:25 AM   #65

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Lol.

Looks like nothing's changed on this forum, still a wealth of misinformation from the resident "experts".

It's sad because the people reading this bs just end up passing the false information on to the next unsuspecting reader. Welcome to the internet.

Just what I was thinking....too many urban legends and old wives tales. Follow the owners manual and don’t worry about it. The 6.8 seems to be a dependable, solid workhorse of an engine - precisely what you need to move a huge, heavy, boxy RV!
Old 06-17-2019, 01:30 AM   #66

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Maybe at the marinas but wally world sells 87 non-ethanol gas at their pumps.
Didn’t know that. I’ll have to look at our Wally Mart when I get back to Florida. All the stations in the Keys only sell 90 octane.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:42 AM   #67

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
To summarize what has been learned from this thread:

The Ford e450/V-10/6 speed chassis does not utilize a knock sensor to control on the fly tuning in same manner as other manufacturers. This actually is verified by putting tank of high grade gas and seeing no MPG improvement. There was an incremental improvement in our Chevy Suburban 5.3 and Altima 2.5, not overwhelming enough to justify always spending extra for fuel. The Suburban does get higher grade gas when towing in warm/hot weather to improve power reduce/chance of detonation.

The e450 gets better grade fuel when towing in warm/hot weather to reduce onset of detonation even though Ford manual states some light knock may occur. Much like the onset of emission control pre fuel injection cars.

Other good points brought up about fuel grades, top tier versus cheaper pass through suppliers.

ECU tuning can be optimized in any vehicle that utilizes multiple sensor inputs, more so in a give operating range. These units as designed, must cover a wide range of loads so Ford probably ship to give best compromise.

Adding a tuning package may/may not enhance performance, in my case I have little to complain about factory tune. I would not invest unless something really concerned me beyond light pinging.

Beyond the light pinging which is countered with better fuel grade the only bump in tuning I have noticed is on a hill approaching Lake Placid from East. If I approach hill at 50 to 55 MPH, unit will downshift at least once, sometimes twice to maintain speed. If I approach at 65 or above it will not downshift. I realize the engine is in a stronger part of torque curve at a little higher RPM so it minimizes lugging. Overall the tuning compromises from Ford work fine in my application.

As far as optimizing the tuning, I am sure a lot can be done with time, patience and expertise. I do not fix usually unless somethings broke. I do not have the patience when the racecar needs to be focus. I have very limited expertise with ECU controlled engines. I am one of the guys the certified fuel system guy will go to because his 4 barrel stumbles due to squirter/accell pump tuning, float level, fuel pressure or jetting.

I do not understand the open hostility by some. I have enjoyed this forum because of the open exchange of ideas and experiences from people of varied experience, priorities and goals. Is much different on some of the car forums where chaos reigns. Some of those groups love to pull chains all day, me included.

I am not going to bite. I am not interested in being a lab rat.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:13 PM   #68

THOR #1765
Old 06-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #69

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
..."IDK but these RV forums don't seem like they have an abundance of open minded people willing to learn"...

You sure mentioned yourself in a lot of your blabber. What a legend in your own mind!! When you think you know more than anyone else in the world, accuse people of being idiots for simply not totally agreeing with you, and stomp out of every conversation like a child...it's time to leave!!! You are a very talented person...you've done some miraculous things with your "toys"...but you have the worse attitude of anyone on this forum.Your pissy attitude takes everything good you've ever done straight down the toilet. I would bet the farm that keeping long-term friends for you is a real challenge.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
Old 06-17-2019, 05:22 PM   #70

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
I was told by a Ford tech to use tier 2 gas which is brands like BP, Shell, Exxon ect. You can Google it and print the list like I did. No need to spend $$$ that is not necessary I say. I still use Sam's gas when available and I'm not sure it's tier 2 but it sure is cheap. I'd be more inclined to keep up with oil and trans fluid changes and other maintainence items....
Old 06-21-2019, 05:35 PM   #71

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Gritz, you need to relax and just enjoy helping people...
Old 06-21-2019, 06:30 PM   #72
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Time to put this one to rest
The wonder Schnauzers
Closed Thread