Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2016, 02:36 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4171
Propane tank

I have a 2016 Vegas . When I read the Guage on the propane tank outside it has not moved from the original position when I brought my Vegas 5 months ago. When I check the monitor panel inside the coach, it shows the LP level at 3/4 full. I have had the propane on numerous times . Is the inside monitor reading correct and does it over ride the one on the propane tank

Old 08-16-2016, 03:27 AM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Here are my thoughts and three cents on your question. If you are only periodically using the propane for the refrigerator and a bit of stove cooking, water heater and stove top cooking, you are using very little of the propane. The furnace heater will use it at a faster rate which you might notice. Sounds like all is well.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:18 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I am going to assume (possible mistake) that your tank gauge is reading full when the monitor panel is reading 3/4.

Something to keep in mind is a propane tank can only be filled to 80 percent capacity to allow for expansion. The tank gauges on my coach and my prior Class C were calibrated to read full when the tank was filled to 80 percent. With that said, your inside panel panel may not be calibrated to take the 20 percent factor into consideration.

My prior Class C had a procedure for calibrating the monitor panel indicators but I haven't seen that procedure for this coach, and in all honesty, I haven't thought about it until I read this thread. I do believe, however, the procedure will be very similar.

Here is a link to a video and info on how to calibrate the monitors at the panel. It is being done on a Newmar but again the procedure should be about the same.

For LPG the calibration should be done immediately following a tank fill up.

RV Geeks Videos: How To Calibrate RV Tank Monitors

Hope this helps.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:42 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
FWIW, we go almost 30 days of continuous refrig usage, two pots of coffee each morning and a small pan for breakfast. That is between 7 and 7.3 gal so far.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:00 AM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Very much depends on what you are using the propane for...
I've gone 3 months with propane to spare in Florida winter - used for cooking (stove, oven, outside grill) and heat (limited need)...
Water Heater and Fridge were on Electric...

The next winter I used 2 tanks for same time frame - primary difference was more need for heat!

In colder climates, the heat will drink propane quickly...

The tank gauge wins the battle if there is a disagreement with the panel. Even full, the tank gauge reads around 3/4 - with the space for expansion (look at where the valve is that indicates full at the pump...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:43 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.1
State: California
THOR #7113
I have a similar problem with my LPG Monitor inside my 2015 Vegas 25.1. The monitor light is always on the EMPTY light when I push the button, even after filling the LPG tank. I last filled the tank a couple months ago just before a cross country trip and back and now I don't know how much is in the tank without filling it again.... I see on some models there is a calibration screw just above the monitor button, but not on the Vegas 25.1. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really don't like flying blind.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:53 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
IMO I would not worry what the LP tank level is until it gets below 1/2 in the winter or 1/3 in the summer.

When I lived in a home with a propane tank that had LP heat/stove/HW heater we would Never let it get below 1/2 just in case you get a crazy cold snap or have ice/snow and they cant deliver quickly when you need it. But in the summer 1/3 was fine.

If you know your going to use your heater on your trip - top it off before you go or get the "Extend a Stay" hoses to connect RV LP tank to a portable 20# tank at your campsite.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote