Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2019, 11:08 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds
State: New Hampshire
THOR #16319
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
As expected, answers from all sides.
I run the fridge on propane while traveling. Turn off when fueling.
I don’t see ‘hills’ as an issue, as it would have to be an extended time that the fridge was actually running to have an issue... perhaps if I were climbing or descending a mountain for extended period I might think about it, but normal hills shouldn’t cause any issue in my opinion.
Like most things, do what makes you feel comfortable - and enjoy the ride!
Thanks for the reply

Old 08-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileyra View Post
We always keep ours open to keep the frig cool. Never even thought about it while fueling
Neither had I... But I'm going to start to pay closer attention to this.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #23

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I think I'll have to see enough substantiated cases of fridges burning down gas stations to equal more than a 1:800,000,000 chance before I start worrying about this sort of thing.

It's nice to worry, it's nice to be cautious... Then there's this sort of stuff.

Provide real cases and I'll move the odds to reality and then re-decide.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:11 PM   #24

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I think I'll have to see enough substantiated cases of fridges burning down gas stations to equal more than a 1:800,000,000 chance before I start worrying about this sort of thing.

It's nice to worry, it's nice to be cautious... Then there's this sort of stuff.

Provide real cases and I'll move the odds to reality and then re-decide.
Granted the odds of the fridge burning down the gas station are astronomically low but there is a reason the sign says shut off engine and no smoking while refueling. The odds of an electrical spark from the engine starting a fire or a cigarette are a quite low as well, however the danger is real or they wouldn’t waste the money for a sign. I for one don’t want to go down in history as the man who burned down the Flying J in (insert town) because we failed to shut off the fridge
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:27 PM   #25

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Granted the odds of the fridge burning down the gas station are astronomically low but there is a reason the sign says shut off engine and no smoking while refueling. The odds of an electrical spark from the engine starting a fire or a cigarette are a quite low as well, however the danger is real or they wouldn’t waste the money for a sign. I for one don’t want to go down in history as the man who burned down the Flying J in (insert town) because we failed to shut off the fridge
I'm only looking for proofs, not an argument.

I'll even accept proofs.of.a running engine causing a fire, a fire that was a caused by the actual running engine and not electrical, not a fuel line...an engine that ignited fuel from the pump, not from the car.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:03 PM   #26

Model: Four Winds
State: New Hampshire
THOR #16319
propane

Thanks everyone for your replies. I see we all have different points of view, and why not this is America.
I will be safe and take precaution when entering a gas station or tunnels.
Have a great day and open roads be with you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2019, 06:37 PM   #27

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
As I understand the manual when you turn your motorhome off the gas to the gas lit flame to the fridge shuts off AUTOMATICALLY for 15 minutes while you gas or fill propane tanks up.
Driving the RV with the frige with the propane on is what it is designed to do.
I have yet ever to turn the propane off. It was 108 bringing it up from storage, propane on 5,000’ gain in elevation and up a 16% grade.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:45 PM   #28

State: Nevada
THOR #4729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Rving View Post
I am new to this whole RVing thing and I am wondering about a few things. I have heard different things and I'm here to ask you all this.

1) While driving our Class C Thor Four Winds motor home can we leave the propane on so the food in the fridge doesn't go bad or should we be running the generator instead? (Confused)

2) If we pull into a Walmart to sleep for the night, do I need the engine running to start the generator?

I’m guessing if your rig is fairly new, you have a 3 way fridge? That means it runs on 110, propane, or 12 volt battery. Although ours is, we leave the propane on all the time unless its really low, then the fridge runs on 12 volt while we drive.
Running your gen in a public place at night is noisy for your neighbors. Be aware it runs on fuel too, and you may wake up to find your tank empty.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:59 PM   #29

THOR #3186
On new motorhome the generator shuts off when your rigs fuel tank reaches a low level. You won’t drain your fuel tank with your generator.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:10 PM   #30

State: Nevada
THOR #4729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
On new motorhome the generator shuts off when your rigs fuel tank reaches a low level. You won’t drain your fuel tank with your generator.
My gen runs on propane, rig on gas.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:47 PM   #31

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
As I understand the manual when you turn your motorhome off the gas to the gas lit flame to the fridge shuts off AUTOMATICALLY for 15 minutes while you gas or fill propane tanks up.
Driving the RV with the frige with the propane on is what it is designed to do.
I have yet ever to turn the propane off. It was 108 bringing it up from storage, propane on 5,000’ gain in elevation and up a 16% grade.
What manual is that? Interesting. I have never seen that.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:31 PM   #32

State: Louisiana
THOR #2499
The Thor Four Winds has a residential refrigerator, thus propane does not factor into the equation. Turn propane off, as it only supplies the heater and stove, both of which you do not use while traveling.

The coach batteries have plenty of power to supply the refrigerator load for a number of hours. You also have a generator management system where, when activated, automatically starts your generator to charge batteries when a lower threshold is reached and shuts off when batteries are charged. The-is system can also be setup to start the generator (when off shore power) to power the AC on a set hi temp threshold. None of this is really mentioned in the manual.

My control head for the generator management system is next to the controls for the inverter. The actual control box is located in the storage bin next to the right of the entry door.

Download the manual for Magnum Energy Automatic Generator Start (ME-AGS-S
Old 09-01-2019, 12:45 AM   #33

THOR #3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
What manual is that? Interesting. I have never seen that.
Thor ACE manual if I remember right, either that or the refrigerator manual.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:52 AM   #34

THOR #3186
Propane generators are not very efficient vs fuel tank capacity. I’m not sure which batteries you have but the stock Thor battery, if Harris is 60 amps of which 30 amps are useable. If you have 2 good luck. Solar if installed correctly, and most aren’t can provide significant amps if sunny. I turn on the propane and leave it on.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:03 AM   #35

THOR #1765
Quote:
I don’t have the ACE manual and I can’t find it in my fridge manual. It is not in the Axis stuff. I have never seen nor heard that before. I would be interested if you could find a source. I would like to not have to turn off my propane when I fuel.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:56 AM   #36
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKConey View Post
I’m guessing if your rig is fairly new, you have a 3 way fridge? That means it runs on 110, propane, or 12 volt battery. Although ours is, we leave the propane on all the time unless its really low, then the fridge runs on 12 volt while we drive.
Running your gen in a public place at night is noisy for your neighbors. Be aware it runs on fuel too, and you may wake up to find your tank empty.
Very few new RVs have 3-way fridges, most are 2-way; 120 VAC or propane. Both modes require 12 VDC for control power.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:57 AM   #37
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
No, and no.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:59 AM   #38
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I don’t have the ACE manual and I can’t find it in my fridge manual. It is not in the Axis stuff. I have never seen nor heard that before. I would be interested if you could find a source. I would like to not have to turn off my propane when I fuel.
He was probably told this by a salesman. I know of no coach that has this "feature".
Old 09-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #39

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
He was probably told this by a salesman. I know of no coach that has this "feature".
I don’t either. It would be great if it were true, and I hope it is. But i’m Not going to count on it until I see a source. 99.9% of the time you are going to be alright leaving your fridge on while you fuel anyway. It’s that .1% when some idiot puts his fill on automatic and walks into the store and it doesn’t automatically shut off that can get you. And you’ve never seen anyone do that!
Old 09-01-2019, 04:04 PM   #40

Brand: DRV
Model: TK3
State: Georgia
THOR #15512
I have never shut our propane off in 4 years other than to fill the tanks. The fridges are meant to run on propane while travelling and it will not hurt them to be off level as you are moving. The off level only applies if you are sitting still for a while like overnight.