Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2015, 06:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #1454
Proper tire pressure?

I'm wondering what is the "proper" tire pressure for loaded Miramar 32.1. Max pressure for the Michelin tire says 110 lbs. I checked them cold the other day and all six had 80 lbs. Should I inflate them to 110 lbs for all around driving?

sandaj

Old 03-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #1599
I posted a similar question the other day!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...-34e-1207.html

I also received some feedback here:http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/corr...4e-237900.html
Old 03-10-2015, 07:56 PM   #3

THOR #1454
Tytlfamily, the the answers on the other thread were interesting, if not completely informative. I think I'll air them up to 95psi and see how it feels. The RV felt a little "spongy" on the only trip we have made, which was about 300 miles over the weekend. We live, and hopefully we learn. It's great to have a forum like this to turn to when we don't have a clue. Thanks.

sandaj
Old 03-10-2015, 08:07 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #1599
Since I started learning about this PSI thing, I am learning a good deal....Goodyear has this great booklet explaining their RV tires and proper weights and PSI....I'm sure michelin has something similar. After a few more trips when we have "moved in" to the RV and it is loaded how we would typically use it....I will stop by a truck stop or public scale and get it weighed.
When I went from 75 PSI to 95 Psi, it definately stiffened the ride...can't really say about ride as it pertains to sway and roll....as I get more comfortable driving this land yacht, I'm learning not to over control....and think it actually handle pretty well over all.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf
Old 04-02-2015, 02:59 AM   #5

Model: Miramar bath & 1/2
State: New Mexico
THOR #1366
Send a message via AIM to Larry Mac Send a message via Yahoo to Larry Mac
I pumped mine to 110 psi then I saw a plaque by the drivers seat that says 77 to 80 psi. I have a miramar 32.1 I found all of my baggage all 13 needed grease and the tiny screw inside needs loctite. Two screws came loose and I had to drill a hole in them to get the door open. Thor of course says grease is a maintenance item. They did send me two new door locks. I drove heavy equipment for 10 years so I thought 110 psi was a standard, 80 psi should be good.

Larry Mac,
Old 04-02-2015, 05:40 AM   #6

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Hi Sandaj,

I posted this a few months ago! I've since talked to the guys at the Ford truck center. They recommend running the tires at 110 psi, because that's what Thor has on the placard? When I took my rig in for service, they inflated the tires to 110 psi.

So, Michelin publishes a psi table, while Thor recommends placards the PSI, based on the max weight of the vehicle!

Posted a few months ago:

Those 22.5's are nice! Michelin has a tire chart specifically for these tires. Weigh your rig fully loaded, as you are heading out for a road trip. Check the tire inflation table and adjust your psi accordingly! Thor recommends running the tires at 90 PSI, you will find that weight on the placard by the drivers seat. That pressure is based on the vehicles max gross weight of 22,000 lbs.

My rig fully loaded for a trip weighs in around 20,800 lbs. according to the Michelin chart, they recommend I run my tires around 77-78 psi. That 12 psi made a big difference in handing.

I also invested in the TireMinder system, what a life saver! Had an inside dual valve stem fail while driving at highway speed. The system warned me immediately, I was able to pull off to a wide spot and inspect it. (There was no change in handling with the inside dual flat!) Found a Les Schwab shop 10 miles away, they told me to drive it on in!

After a 30 minute repair I was on my way! Without the TireMinder, I could have easily driven another couple hundred miles before noticing a problem. By then it could have been an $800-1,000 dollar repair vs a $28 dollar repair!!
On that one instance, the TireMinder paid for itself!!
To me it was well worth the investment!!

Hope this helps!!

Brian
Old 04-02-2015, 07:47 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Here is a set of several very good RV tire videos by Michelin that has about all the information you would ever need about tires.

Videos | Michelin RV Tires
Old 04-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #8

Model: Miramar bath & 1/2
State: New Mexico
THOR #1366
Send a message via AIM to Larry Mac Send a message via Yahoo to Larry Mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
Here is a set of several very good RV tire videos by Michelin that has about all the information you would ever need about tires.

Videos | Michelin RV Tires
This for sure answers any questions about RV tires, Thank You very much!

Larry Mac,