Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2020, 05:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 33x
State: Virginia
THOR #14214
Pros/Cons on buying 2020 Hurricane

Looking at buying a 2020 Hurricane 33x. Looking for Pros and Cons to the Hurricane line. Currently have a Class C, Freedom Elite 30fe.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Most of the pros/cons are subjective and depend on what you like in a coach and what model Hurricane you are looking at. A Windsport by any other name, a higher finish ACE.

As Matt from Matt's RV reviews says. " Ima gonna give you three things I like about the coach and 3 things I dislike."

Very few people will find the perfect RV, but the best RV for them will have enough things in the "love" category to out weigh the things you have to compromise on.

Some people love slides, some people won't buy a coach with slides.
Some people NEED a bath and a half, some feel a single bath meets all their needs.
Some people INSIST on a king bed, some people are perfectly fine with a queen bed.

Etc

Etc

Etc

The only thing in that 33X floorplan that I would be concerned about is the location of the toilet on the passenger side. Thor has been known in the past to place the toilet over the shallow end of a long, shallow black tank resulting in a poo teepee under the toilet. I would have to satisfy myself that this was not the case in this design.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:13 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The big question for me would be:
Is everything 100% usable when the slides are in?

The other:
Add many feet in length to whatever length problems you've had with your current rv.
I'm guessing extra length is an expotential problem where you multiply added length related problems.

Other than those:
It's you, not us who lives there.

I wouldn't have one that long for free if I had to use it.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:16 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I think that the bigger questions are:
"Does it fit yours needs?"
and
"Do you like it enough to write a bid check for it?"
Old 01-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #5

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
That is awesome coach. If you find one that meets an excessively rigorous Pre - PDI Inspection, and it is what you like, do not be discouraged. Go for it if you find the right price.

It is very similar to the 27B that we tried to buy, but could never get past workmanship issues with units we were pursuing to get to PDI.

But you asked for pros & cons. If you assume I like the coach (which I do), then I will list a few things that factored in our decision to pause beyond the aforementioned workmanship issues.

1. Can you access the full bed with slides in? We almost compromise this. Thus far 70% of the time we have slept with slides in (while traveling)
2. Outdoor kitchen? We almost compromise this thinking TV would be sufficient, but our outdoor kitchen is a favorite for us. It helps to keep guest outside. The outdoor fridge on inverter with the lights make our setup really nice. We went from no outdoor kitchen to one of best outdoor kitchens I have ever seen in an RV. In fact we are planning to redesign our fence to park in such a way the RV's outdoor kitchen can serve our backyard along with the 40" TV.
3. Blackout Shades. You can fix this later for about $350/window (professionally installed), but the curtains in the 2019 27B we were looking had dry rotted on the outside from the sun. There were white flakes all over the driver / passenger cabin area. I am constantly pulling the blinds up / down and it is a breeze with the MCD blackout shades.
4. See if you can lower the bunk without moving front seats? We couldn't and thought that it would be potential hassle to move each time?
5. The wallpaper used in the bath was disappointing. As if the fake tiles was not enough, the unit we were looking was not cut straight. We were planning to rip it out and put in some real tiles.
6. Check to see if there is only one compartment / connection for both gray and black tanks? On the 27B you Gary and Black drain connections in separate compartment bays!!! From what I have experienced thus far, that would be a real pain.

Hope this helps Good Luck!!!
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:37 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
As others have said, if the coach fits your needs, get it. My only hitch in buying another Thor would be their poor build quality and low end construction materials. The stuff like fridge, water heater, furnace, A/C, etc are the same across almost all manufacturers, so you're good there. But Thor uses really cheap material for cabinets, trims, curtains, etc. That's what makes them inexpensive. Another thing to consider is the distance from you to the dealer. For me, a warranty trip costs $50.00 plus loss of use. Taking my coach for a warranty repair on a low cost item would be a money loosing proposition. A couple of dealers with different brands are half the distance so they would be ahead of Thor. But, if you like working on a fixer upper anything from Thor would be a good match.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:23 PM   #7

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
That is awesome coach. If you find one that meets an excessively rigorous Pre - PDI Inspection, and it is what you like, do not be discouraged. Go for it if you find the right price.

I miss the edit cutoff, I cleaned up a few typos.

It is very similar to the 27B that we tried to buy, but could never get past workmanship issues with units we were pursuing to get to PDI.

But you asked for pros & cons. If you assume I like the coach (which I do), then I will list a few things that factored in our decision to pause beyond the aforementioned workmanship issues.

1. Can you access the full bed with slides in? We almost compromise this. Thus far 70% of the time we have slept with slides in (while traveling)
2. Outdoor kitchen? We almost compromise this thinking TV would be sufficient, but our outdoor kitchen is a favorite for us. It helps to keep guest outside. The outdoor fridge on inverter with the lights make our setup really nice. We went from no outdoor kitchen to one of best outdoor kitchens I have ever seen in an RV. In fact we are planning to redesign our fence to park in such a way the RV's outdoor kitchen can serve our backyard along with the 40" TV.
3. Blackout Shades. You can fix this later for about $350/window (professionally installed), but the curtains in the 2019 27B we were looking at had dry rotted on the outside from the sun. There were white flakes all over the driver / passenger cabin area. I am constantly pulling the blinds up / down and it is a breeze with the MCD blackout shades.
4. See if you can lower the bunk without moving front seats? We couldn't; and thought that it would be potential hassle to move each time?
5. The wallpaper used in the bath was disappointing. As if the fake tiles was not enough, the unit's wallpaper we were looking at was not cut straight. We were planning to rip it out and put in some real tiles had we bought it.
6. Check to see if there is only one compartment for both gray and black waste tanks? On the 27B you Gray and Black drain connections are in separate compartment bays!!! From what I have experienced thus far, that would be a real pain.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-18-2020, 06:34 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 33x
State: Virginia
THOR #14214
Well I took the plunge and traded in my 2019 Freedom Elite 30fe for the 2020 Hurricane 33x. Big step up, theater seating, residential fridge and washer/dryer combo (no outside kitchen/but not a show stopper). Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:26 PM   #9

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
Congrats on your new Hurricane. Mine is a 2015, and it’s a great coach. Some complain about low cost materials, but I have no issues with the quality. Most owners are very happy with their choice. Those that are not happy let us all know in every one of there posts and replies.
Happy trails. Jerry
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:10 PM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtyler View Post
Well I took the plunge and traded in my 2019 Freedom Elite 30fe for the 2020 Hurricane 33x. Big step up, theater seating, residential fridge and washer/dryer combo (no outside kitchen/but not a show stopper). Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Congratulations!!! No one knows what is best for you "to like" other than yourself. I guarantee that you got it right You left a nice Class C for a major step up in Class A. Sounds like you plan to be living in it for a while with theater seating, residential fridge and washer/dryer combo. And you are right, if there is one thing to give up when all else is perfect; it is outside kitchen. Besides with all the room you got you don't have to go outside.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:13 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 34F
THOR #13062
If, congratulations on your new Hurricane. May you have many, many miles of enjoyment!
Old 01-21-2020, 02:56 AM   #12

THOR #14304
Congrats. We have the 2019 Windsport 33x and are happy with it so far. The only mods I've done - Safe-T-Plus on steering, heavy duty roadmaster rear sway bar, and sound and heat reduction under the doghouse. Big trip this summer zigzagging from Tampa to Glacier N.P. Happy and safe travels.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:17 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #15745
Just purchased a 2019 Hurricane 34j we love all the features. Highly recommend.
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:09 PM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmanrick View Post
Just purchased a 2019 Hurricane 34j we love all the features. Highly recommend.
I would like to keep it for a few weeks to validate your views. How soon can you get it to Dallas

Congratulations. Looks awesome. I like new. Thor is very good about features especially in Windsports / Hurricanes.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:02 AM   #15

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtyler View Post
Looking at buying a 2020 Hurricane 33x. Looking for Pros and Cons to the Hurricane line. Currently have a Class C, Freedom Elite 30fe.
We bought a 2018 Windsport 29m and LOVE IT!!!!!!! The first RV we got was a 2017 Axis 25.2. After 9 months I realized I loved RVing and this thing was TOO SMALL. The Hurricane is the cousin of the Windsport and I'd highly recommend either, or. What ever décor you prefer is the only diff I think?? Had some bugs to deal with at first like any RV but now even going on a 7750 mile trip from NC to Ca. and back we did not have ONE PROBLEM. Good mileage, easy to maneuver and to park. At 29 feet no restrictions at any parks and boondocking is a breeze. Thor is as good as it gets for the money and you can always spend more but it's hard to get more for the money in my opinion!! Good travels my friend; Bob Trice
Old 01-23-2020, 01:12 AM   #16

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
As others have said, if the coach fits your needs, get it. My only hitch in buying another Thor would be their poor build quality and low end construction materials. The stuff like fridge, water heater, furnace, A/C, etc are the same across almost all manufacturers, so you're good there. But Thor uses really cheap material for cabinets, trims, curtains, etc. That's what makes them inexpensive. Another thing to consider is the distance from you to the dealer. For me, a warranty trip costs $50.00 plus loss of use. Taking my coach for a warranty repair on a low cost item would be a money loosing proposition. A couple of dealers with different brands are half the distance so they would be ahead of Thor. But, if you like working on a fixer upper anything from Thor would be a good match.
I have a 2018 Windsport 29m and would be interested in what you have been disappointed in and what you have had to fix or replace. So far, I haven't had anything wearout or fail but it's only two seasons old. Bob Trice