Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2017, 09:58 PM   #41
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Also, when dealing with luxury items like RVs, it's not always about the price. Many buyers want what they want even when it costs more.
I'm not ashamed to admit that price is ALWAYS being considered; when I have to buy something.
I do think that if they blew the top off the price-lid with a wider cab: it would make folks take another look at Class As...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:13 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Think his point was that if anyone were to make a Class C with a custom full width cab it would be equivalent to a Class A. I’d note that building a wide cab for a Class C would leave the driver a significant and really weird distance from the door/window. And if you move the seat over you’d need to move the instruments and pedals and then you’d lose the Ford chassis and you’d be back to a Class A. I.e. an Axis....
Old 10-29-2017, 11:56 PM   #43

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I'm not ashamed to admit that price is ALWAYS being considered; when I have to buy something.
I do think that if they blew the top off the price-lid with a wider cab: it would make folks take another look at Class As...

Not that it really matters -- we were just comparing As to Cs.

It's interesting to note that about 2 years ago, numbers of new As and Cs were essentially tied. Today Class Cs are winning by almost 50%. I expect that part of that may be the shift to smaller units, but also shows Cs are not necessarily seen as an inferior product.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:07 AM   #44

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Think his point was that if anyone were to make a Class C with a custom full width cab it would be equivalent to a Class A. I’d note that building a wide cab for a Class C would leave the driver a significant and really weird distance from the door/window. And if you move the seat over you’d need to move the instruments and pedals and then you’d lose the Ford chassis and you’d be back to a Class A. I.e. an Axis....

I wasn't thinking of a custom cab. The cost of that would be prohibitive, and the quality horrible by comparison.

While it's only a dream, it'd be nice to see Ford create a wider E-Series cab since that platform is no longer used for vans which were limited to 80 inches in width. Unfortunately it's being eliminated.

The picture I posted above is of an actual van that is 86-1/2 inches wide from the factory. Ford or Chevy could do the same but go to 90 inches or so. That would make a much better Class C in my opinion.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:27 AM   #45

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Quote:
Not that it really matters -- we were just comparing As to Cs.

It's interesting to note that about 2 years ago, numbers of new As and Cs were essentially tied. Today Class Cs are winning by almost 50%. I expect that part of that may be the shift to smaller units, but also shows Cs are not necessarily seen as an inferior product.
My first RV was a class c. My 2nd is a sort of class a (Axis). While sitting by the fire a couple of nights ago a Super C drove into the campground. I am in deep, very deep, SERIOUS, RV lust. 😛🤑
Old 10-30-2017, 01:18 AM   #46

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
My first RV was a class c. My 2nd is a sort of class a (Axis). While sitting by the fire a couple of nights ago a Super C drove into the campground. I am in deep, very deep, SERIOUS, RV lust. [emoji14][emoji857]

NOW you’re talking. Those things are suh-weet! I actually think we’re going to see more of them in the future as Ford seems committed to discontinuing the E-series chassis. The Transit and Sprinters are wonderful but simply are not up to the task for any but the smallest of units and, as noted throughout this thread, not everyone likes the A’s.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:47 AM   #47

THOR #2121
I'd gladly "upgrade" to a van this size if made in US and it had an engine instead of electric motors.

If anything it's too large and heavy duty for what I need; being a Class 5 vehicle with 17-1/2" tires and 16,500-pond GVWR.

This is first van I've ever seen that appears large enough at 26'-6" to convert to a 4-person Class B.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5746.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	7547  
Old 10-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #48
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That would be an interesting basis for a motorhome...

But are you growing the Class B, to where a Class C becomes a worthy alternative?
Old 10-30-2017, 12:16 PM   #49

THOR #2121
Actually, I personally view very large Class Bs (technically van-based campers by industry definition) as compact Class As that happen to also have some of the advantages of Class Cs (built on cutaway chassis by definition).

To me the largest Class Bs are like a very small Class A that has front doors and windows, and OEM vehicle fit and finish along with greater crash protection.

The Mercedes Sprinter at 24-feet is largest B now, and is quite popular even though much more expensive. Sprinter vans are very narrow though and don't offer as much room as the length would suggest.

An even larger van, particularly much wider, would be great to have as an option.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:29 PM   #50
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I can see that comparison...

Where will the market take the motorhome designs in the future?
Will it be smaller; more energy-efficient rigs?
or Larger and more opulent designs?
Old 11-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #51
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Chance,
I came across this recently:

Phoenix Cruiser - Affordable Luxury Class B+ Motorhome

Is this the sort of rig that you're talking about?
Old 11-01-2017, 11:58 AM   #52
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Chance,
I came across this recently:

Phoenix Cruiser - Affordable Luxury Class B+ Motorhome

Is this the sort of rig that you're talking about?
Yes/no: They all have slides.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #53
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
So the slide is the disqualifying feature: got it!
Old 11-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #54
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
I'd gladly "upgrade" to a van this size if made in US and it had an engine instead of electric motors.

If anything it's too large and heavy duty for what I need; being a Class 5 vehicle with 17-1/2" tires and 16,500-pond GVWR.

This is first van I've ever seen that appears large enough at 26'-6" to convert to a 4-person Class B.
WOW ! Chance...that is one big/tall van !! Who manufacturers it ? Euro, we presume .
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:08 PM   #55

THOR #2121
Quote:
So the slide is the disqualifying feature: got it!
1) It is true I don't need or want a slide. I "like" non-slide better.

2) I also want (must have) at least two forward facing seats with adequate and safe seat belts.

3) I want but can do without a large compartment to carry bikes, preferably a tandem size MegaStorage in back.

4) Somewhat compact and fuel efficient. No bigger than Axis, and prefer even smaller.

My search has remained the same, hence pretty much stopped looking. Right now I don't have any free time to enjoy traveling or camping anyway, so reading about it here will have to do.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #56

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
WOW ! Chance...that is one big/tall van !! Who manufacturers it ? Euro, we presume .

I saw it in business news. From what I can tell it is made in China, and is being imported to US strictly as an electric commercial vehicle.

I would never buy a vehicle like that (made in China or electric) for RV conversion, but it sure would be nice to have a major player make a much wider van. They are now plenty long and tall for my needs, but the narrow body of a traditional van like mine still feels a little cramped.

By the way, Ryder will be renting them, so we may see some in cities by next year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5740.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	7588  
Old 11-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #57
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
I saw it in business news. From what I can tell it is made in China, and is being imported to US strictly as an electric commercial vehicle.

I would never buy a vehicle like that (made in China or electric) for RV conversion, but it sure would be nice to have a major player make a much wider van. They are now plenty long and tall for my needs, but the narrow body of a traditional van like mine still feels a little cramped.

By the way, Ryder will be renting them, so we may see some in cities by next year.
INTERESTING ! I agree with you...it is not functional as an RV ... and I understand where you are coming from ... we have close friends who have a Roadtrek .. 18 ... They love it ... each to his own ... personally, for us, it is too tight ... no wiggle room ! (they are on their 2nd one )
With said...they are a very popular motorhomes and very pricey !
And...this is why there are hundreds of options out there...everyone has their preferences and priorities !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #58
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
1) It is true I don't need or want a slide. I "like" non-slide better.
2) I also want (must have) at least two forward facing seats with adequate and safe seat belts.
3) I want but can do without a large compartment to carry bikes, preferably a tandem size MegaStorage in back.
4) Somewhat compact and fuel efficient. No bigger than Axis, and prefer even smaller.
Not that I want to point someone in a different direction; but those rigs from Phoenix Cruiser are pretty much hand-built, and they say to call them if you're looking for something different...
Old 11-03-2017, 05:29 PM   #59
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Another thought occurred to me... (Given enough time: the melon starts becoming useful! )
What do you think of Thor's Compass and Gemini models?

Coachman makes a couple of rigs on the Transit chassis, that don't have slides... :
Old 11-03-2017, 07:53 PM   #60

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
To me any of the class B motorhomes/conversion vans were built to be VERY overpriced tailgater vehicles. In my opinion they are too small to be be more than weekender use, have to make/unmake a bed daily & have to go outside to change your mind. I think with the diesel version they would be great travel vehicles, still way overpriced, with a fridge & sort of a bathroom, but once parked for the night MUCH to small. For the same money you could get a well equipped, roomy class A. Just my .02 cents.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote