Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2017, 09:08 PM   #61
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
To me any of the class B motorhomes/conversion vans were built to be VERY overpriced tailgater vehicles. In my opinion they are too small to be be more than weekender use, have to make/unmake a bed daily & have to go outside to change your mind. I think with the diesel version they would be great travel vehicles, still way overpriced, with a fridge & sort of a bathroom, but once parked for the night MUCH to small. For the same money you could get a well equipped, roomy class A. Just my .02 cents.
We totally agree with you...however, we have close friends who are on their 2nd Roadtrek and love it !!! and they wouldn't have it any other way. When they replaced their 'worn out' Roadtrek about 3 yrs ago with an almost new model...we tried to nudge them into a little bit bigger Class B with a slide..NO WAY ... our friend does not like driving anything larger than a van size motorhome and is willing to make the concessions !! ...
So there ya go ... everyone has their priorities and their comfort zone ..

As long as we all enjoy the CAMPING EXPERIENCE .. that is all that counts !

Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:00 PM   #62

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
You guys won't get any arguments from me that Class Bs are indeed for the most part too tight, too expensive, and ideal for short weekend-type trips. There is little doubt that for the same price you can get a much roomier Class A or C.

Class Bs are expensive in large part because of the way they have to be built. Compared to As and Cs it probably takes a lot more labor. However, Class Bs are selling at record rates, so the question is why? I seriously doubt it's lower cost because they are not.

I think your needs must have to be very different, or your mindset more of the kind that is willing to pay more to get less for some unusual reason. The old "less is more" like when buying a cell phone where we pay a premium for less weight and thinner dimension.

Having said all this, I don't like the cramped feeling inside most factory Class Bs. They are almost claustrophobic. This morning I was looking at an all-electric 24-foot Mercedes Sprinter van camper on MHSRV website and can't imagine paying $100k for a vehicle that has so little going for it. Looks great but functionally very challenged.

There are modern vans today that are essentially twice as large in total volume as mine, and if layout was done right they could make great touring coaches for a small couple that travels very light.

I just got back from picking up my van at Ford where they did a $40 oil change. I also like it serving as a second car occassionally, being able to park it at home, and having car-like maneuverability in traffic. Plus good fuel economy, and being able to park just about anywhere.

I agree with Kay that Bs require concessions, so you must have to value being small for whatever reason that it's important to you.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:26 PM   #63
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
"Each to their own notion.", said the old woman ;as she kissed the cow.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:46 PM   #64

THOR #2121
A middle ground between large Bs and small As does exist; it's not a notion. They are made and sold by the 1,000s in Europe, Australia, and Asia. We (in US) just prefer our motorhomes like fast food meals -- super-sized. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:30 AM   #65

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
If you look statistically, the small Class C's, or as some refer to them, B+'s and the Class B's have increased sales in the past 18 to 24 months far more than the 'traditional' class C's and A's. We went from a 41 foot DP to the Gemini, and though that much less space has certainly presented some challenges, we love how easy to drive it is and its maneuverability. With the slides in, its really only a little taller and wider than a large van. A lot of what we missed, was some of the equipment we had on the DP, and a good percentage of that we have and are having added, like a second AC, Auto leveling system, inverter, roof mounted auto satellite system and more. Since its just my wife, me and our small dog, we manage quite well with less space. I also can't really complain about getting between 16 and 17 MPG, instead of the 6.5 I got on the DP, and access to diesel is no longer limited to only truck stops, most any gas station with a diesel pump will now do.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:40 AM   #66

THOR #2121
Data is changing some. Class Bs had a slow September, but year to date they are still doing better than Cs and As. Because September was such a departure from previous months of growth, it will be interesting to see the October data.

RVIA: September Shipments Retain Record Pace | RV Business
Old 11-04-2017, 06:50 PM   #67
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
We (in US) just prefer our motorhomes like fast food meals -- super-sized. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Amen to THAT!
By the way: did you know that you can get Wendy's to build their Bacon King sandwich as a "Quad-burger"?
I'm afraid to try for five: I might like it too much!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote