Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2018, 03:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chanteau
State: Arizona
THOR #12515
Question for A class owners

When driving in hot areas how do you keep your coach cool. Does the dash a/c do the job, or do you run your gen set and roof top units?

Old 08-22-2018, 03:43 PM   #2

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
The front air does a great job, but as the day goes by I usually run the top A/c so when we stop for the day it’s real cool. Jerry
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:01 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I run my Genny when its hot outside so I can run the Roof top AC as well.

But if its in the low 80's we can get by with just the dash air most of the time.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:24 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
I do the same. Dash air until it starts getting hot in the box then start genny and run roof air
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
There is a thread on here where a couple put a curtain side to side, floor to ceiling just behind the seats. They said it kept the cab very cool using just the dash unit.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:05 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
before we head out on what’s to be a hot weather day, and a lot of road miles ahead, I set the thermostat to ‘Fan High’, turn ‘ON’ to the AC, set the temp to 70, and have it ready to come on when I push the dash ‘Generator’ start switch when the coach is getting too warm - the gen starts, runs for 10 seconds or so for the ATS(auto transfer switch) to kick over to it, and the AC unit then starts - the blower comes on, and after a few seconds the compressor kicks on with cold air.
Many times we use this time also to microwave lunch, make coffee(!), etc...
We cut off the generator when the coach is cool, and start it again as needed. I can control the ACs from the driver seat : )

We find that if we leave the AC baffle OPEN, it’s much more cold air pushed down into the front area... and quickly.
Also, because my diesel is right under the bed, creating a lot of heat there too, we often also have the rear AC open and running to blow down on the bed area... it’s much nicer in the bedroom if you do that at least 30 mins or so before you arrive : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:43 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
There is a thread on here where a couple put a curtain side to side, floor to ceiling just behind the seats. They said it kept the cab very cool using just the dash unit.

I pondered that when I saw the thread. I’m sure it works great for keeping the front cool on the road but it would leave the back all the hotter. I find that the dash air keeps the coach pretty cool in all but the hottest weather. At the very least it will delay the need to run the generator and the roof air for a while.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:23 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
We use the dash air until it simply gets too hot... typically when heading west and the sun comes in through the big windshield. Then it is generator time and big AC!
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:35 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
before we head out on what’s to be a hot weather day, and a lot of road miles ahead, I set the thermostat to ‘Fan High’, turn ‘ON’ to the AC, set the temp to 70, and have it ready to come on when I push the dash ‘Generator’ start switch when the coach is getting too warm - the gen starts, runs for 10 seconds or so for the ATS(auto transfer switch) to kick over to it, and the AC unit then starts - the blower comes on, and after a few seconds the compressor kicks on with cold air.
Many times we use this time also to microwave lunch, make coffee(!), etc...
We cut off the generator when the coach is cool, and start it again as needed. I can control the ACs from the driver seat : )

We find that if we leave the AC baffle OPEN, it’s much more cold air pushed down into the front area... and quickly.
Also, because my diesel is right under the bed, creating a lot of heat there too, we often also have the rear AC open and running to blow down on the bed area... it’s much nicer in the bedroom if you do that at least 30 mins or so before you arrive : )
We also control the roof A/C that way on the road: set it to a really cold temp and then turn on/off the genny when you need it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:14 AM   #10

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Ditto to running the genny and roof A/C when the dash air isn't enough for comfort. Added to what's been said, we close the back vents, open the front vents and open just the front baffle on the A/C unit. We keep sun reflectors in the bedroom windows, and will put one in the window over the couch if the sun is beating down on that side.

There were two threads recently of folks with suggestions on how to make the roof A/C more efficient. Worthy of a search.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:42 PM   #11

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Yeah, that would work.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #4816
Same here---dash air usually handles an average day, but when it gets too warm I turn on the generator and the coach air.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
For the most part we just use the dash A/C. If that doesn't keep up, turn on genny and roof A/C.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:54 AM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
One of my first mods was to put a curtain behind the cab area to keep it cold. It was also one of the first mods to undo. We found it wasnt needed at all. THe dash ac keeps us plenty cool. Now if Maria decides to go to bed to take a nap I might have to run gen and ac. But usually she can sleep in the passenger seat.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:47 AM   #15

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #11784
Our dash AC keeps it very cold even in the summertime in Florida. Usually it's set on 1 and if the sun is pouring in the side window, I'll bump it up to 2.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:31 PM   #16

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #6451
We run both AC units on our 37' Miramar here in Florida during the summer months. The dash AC is OK for the two people up front but the rest of the motor home stays hot. We also have 4 dogs with us that ride in the middle of the motor home and I need to keep them cool. Plus, it's nice to get setup at our site when it's nice in cool inside instead of having to wait for the RV to cool down once we arrive.

Burch