Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2016, 05:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Question for Hurricane 29M owners?

Hello!

I think there are a few Hurricane 29M owners on the forum.

I'm trying to determine whether the 29M sofa/couch could fit into the space taken by the very unsatisfactory dinette/sofa combo we currently have in our 2016 Hurricane 27K. I have no problem with giving up the floor "holes" for the dining table in exchange for a comfortable sofa.

I think the 29M model was introduced early in 2016 - about 6 months after we purchased our 27K. If we had seen the 29M first, we would have gone for that.

I've been searching for specs on the 29M sofa, but all I find is the floor plan that states the sleeping area is 60"x80". What I need most is the width to see if there would be a way to fit it into our space.

I've put in a request for info to Thor, but sometimes it's hit and miss with getting the right info from them!

Thanks!

Old 06-26-2016, 07:48 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Hi Neeliec,
If your Hurricane 27K is like our 2015 Windsport 27K I don't think you will be able to use the entire dining space for a coach. The section of the coach against the bathroom wall has the converter and a lot of other wiring under it that I don't know where you could move it to. We also wanted to improve the comfort of the seating especially in the section behind the drivers seat. That section has very little padding and is not deep enough to get comfortable. We ended up removing the foldout bed apparatus and putting a larger, better padded cushion in it's place. After removing the bed we moved the "box" out about 4" from the wall, and hinged the top to make access to the storage below easier. While we had all that area open we moved the electric outlet under the table to the wall right behind the drivers seat at a level that is easy to reach. To keep everything matching we used the original seat cover on the new cushion.To make it fit the deeper, thicker we had to add material to the sides and back (you don't see this when the cushion is in place). The cushion is now 55"x24"x5" and comfortable. I also keep a wedge of foam behind the back cushion to add some angle to the back. Attached are a few pictures of the finished project. Hope that you can find a way to increase your comfort. By the way we don't normally use this area to sleep but at 24" deep one of the grand kids can sleep there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0153.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	2336   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0154-2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	2337  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0155-1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	2338  
Old 06-29-2016, 03:13 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Hello John & Diane!

Thanks so much for your reply to my question about changing out the dinette/sofa in our 27K. I know the "L" part of the sofa has a mess of stuff underneath and it would create a huge job to try to relocate any of it.

My thought had been to maybe cut out the longer portion of the sofa to fit a small couch/loveseat, and then to build or have built some kind of solid surface to be placed on top of the remaining "L" part (that is no longer an "L") - making like an end table and a place for a lamp.

My problem is that I am constantly dreaming up ideas, and many of the are just not that do-able!

Some other real nice folks who own a similar coach shared with me some directions for bumping out the sofa area while keeping the bathroom wall section with all the electrical, converter, wiring and all the other stuff intact. It sounds a lot like what you have done.

They extended the sofa (on the longer section) out a few inches, building up the underneath support. Then they reupholstered the now-wider sofa cushion with thicker foam and a nice patterned material. I like your idea of hinging the seat for easier access, and moving the electric plug. We don't plan to use this area as a bed, and don't care if we have to give up the "dining" table leg holes. We use folding tables for eating and doing other things.

Your project seems like it's not too complicated a project, but we just haven't pursued this avenue yet. We are still thinking on many different ideas, but nothing so far is an easy fix!

Thanks again for your reply!

Eileen in AZ