Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2019, 02:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
Rainwater leaking in furnace

Anybody have an answer to stopping rain water leaking in by the furnace and TV area on the 2016 Miramar. This is a constant problem, Thor blames Atwood and Vice verser, either way the problem continues. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I had a similar problem in my Axis. The water was leaking in the access door to the furnace because Thor had neglected to put the rubber seal on the right hand lower corner of the door. So the water ran down the seal, into the compartment and ruined the furnace and the board. Your coach is an entirely different animal but Thor has been known not to seal things properly.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:44 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #6451
I have the same issue on my Miramar 35.3. I have had it back to the dealer several times and no fix yet. If we are parked and I know it is going to rain, I put a plastic bag over the door and tape it with painters tape. Looks like crap but at least it keeps water from coming inside. It only happens to me if I get a lot of water sheeting down the side of the motorhome where the furnace is.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #4

THOR #3584
Exactly, what I find myself doing is putting the awning out about 6” to divert the rain, and that sometimes works. If there is no wind then I will put the awning out all the way. It’s a real poor design.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
May be related to this:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...egas-4200.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:04 PM   #6

THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

The Miramars don't have the louvers like these. The vent pipe has a 45 degree angle when it goes into the furnace but it is angled down instead of up. If it was angled up, that would keep the water out. I am convinced that during a driving rain, water is coming in the vent tube. I can see water dripping from the bottom of the furnace under the refrigerator. Took awhile to figure out where the water was coming from.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:19 PM   #7

THOR #3584
That’s a crazy design, but how does it make it to the circuitboard which is above the furnace exhaust tube ?
Old 05-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #8

THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenmike View Post
That’s a crazy design, but how does it make it to the circuitboard which is above the furnace exhaust tube ?

I have not had any issues with the furnace or furnace circuit board. Only water dripping from the furnace onto the floor. The water will then weep out onto the kitchen floor.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:50 PM   #9

THOR #1765
Quote:
In my Axis, the board was mounted flush to the floor - if you can believe that!
Old 05-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #10

THOR #3584
After I read on this forum about the guy who showed us the picture of his water filter mounted over his main electric box, I would believe it.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #11

State: Arkansas
THOR #15008
my 2019 challenger has water in it now I used paper towels yesterday and dried it out got heat but rained last night and now no heat. no seal on the door either.
mine has water standing in the tray and no hole for it to drain out of almost 200 grand for a motorhome and I cant keep warm on my first trip out very disappointed
Old 05-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #12

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allennteresa View Post
my 2019 challenger has water in it now I used paper towels yesterday and dried it out got heat but rained last night and now no heat. no seal on the door either.
mine has water standing in the tray and no hole for it to drain out of almost 200 grand for a motorhome and I cant keep warm on my first trip out very disappointed
That’s just down to no quality control. It’s easier for the installer to not put in a good seal and not drill a drain hole and unless someone checks on it, why should he bother. That’s obviously not true for everyone, but it happens enough to surmise that there is little or no quality control checking up. Since the furnace seal has been identified as an issue, you would think they would at least check that. I guess not!
Old 05-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #13

THOR #15008
I agree and my running lights you would think that would be the last thing they would look at when it left the factory but.... I have bought cheap bumper TT and found no quality control and the same on the better 5th wheels and now my first step up to a class A and over 150 grand for it and the QC is exactly the same (doesn't happen) we are all doing something wrong when we just keep buying this junk and keep thinking it will change. just think how a good builder with good QC could do in this business he would run all these pretend manufactures out of business
Old 05-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #14

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
I had problems with water getting into my ACE 30.1 furnace and getting under the control board causing all sorts of weird behavior. Fan would run even with the thermostat off. Even though I have a solid cover, water would get in after every rain and I’d have to open things up and dry off the board, only to do it again after the next rain.

I ended up sealing the top half of the flange the heater enclosure with some rubber weatherstripping. Initial filed repair was using silicon caulk but that was petty messy. Seems to have fixed the problem. I also drilled several holes in the plastic shelf under the board and put a hard plastic shim under it to raise it up a bit. Atwood has a board relocation kit, but they wanted me to go to a dealer to have it installed and wouldn’t send me one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93616098-8C05-4E85-9FD8-5279EF60D646.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	17302  
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:38 AM   #15

THOR #15008
Thanks I did this today. Hope it works for me too
Old 05-13-2019, 04:57 AM   #16

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
I removed the control board and purchased electronic 2 part compound and encapsulated it, no more worries about the furnace doing crazy things if moisture gets on the board.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #17

THOR #15008
Where did you get such a thing never heard of it
Old 05-13-2019, 03:13 PM   #18

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allennteresa View Post
Where did you get such a thing never heard of it
I purchased the kit at a local electrical supply store. It from MG Chemicals, Translucent encapsulating and potting compound, part#832C-375ML. you can find it online also. I started a thread about it last year
Old 05-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #19

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Anybody have an answer to stopping rain water leaking in by the furnace and TV area on the 2016 Miramar. This is a constant problem, Thor blames Atwood and Vice verser, either way the problem continues. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.
I have a 2016 Miramar and also had leaking from the outside TV. I caulked around the top of the trim and solved the problem. Since then I have run a small bead of caulk along the top of all trim around the RV...the TV compartment, hot water heater, furnace, outside kitchen, entry door and trim on the lower part of the slides. I did this the first year I bought the coach (2016) and have had no problems since.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #20

THOR #15008
spoke to Thor yesterday and they told me that the gasket from Atwood was left off the door and the dealer could fix it
so... if you don't have a gasket you have a problem I fixed mine with the weather striping added I did mine just like the picture above but believe I will go all the way around it now that I know there should have been on in the first place
I also have to add the QC at Thor is so bad I cant even explain
I have twisted off bolts screws missing wires and hoses hanging and rubbing the frame my head lights were left out of the sockets and just hanging by the wire
and that is all saying nothing about the paint job I have paint runs and orange peel all over the unit even missed spots for this kind of money the paint should be top notch mine has only 500 miles on it and trust me I have never ever regretted a purchase more in my 62 years of life then I do this one. people at Thor are nice and polite but good grief.. by the way the factory shop is booked till October that tells us all we need to know very sad very sad