Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2017, 07:34 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Check out this review of a class B with a Lithium battery (you can skip in 15 minutes or so if you're only interested in the electrical system):
.....cut.....
Nice review. The Galleria reminds me a lot of Thor van campers -- almost too nice to actually use it for camping. I think it was an Airstream marketing guy who said most owners never or rarely sleep in them. These vans mostly get used for comfortable traveling while going from one hotel to the next, or tailgating at ball games.

All the exposed water lines, drain lines, and even fresh water tank pretty much makes it useless in cold climate. I'd much rather have rugged practicality than so much plush.

On the plus side, as narrow as the Sprinter van is, the aisle down the middle looked fairly spacious -- unless lady in video is smaller than she looks.

Also pretty nice is the spare tire carrier -- looks like it may be from factory.

Edit: New Sprinter van design should be revealed in February. It will be interesting to see if sizes remain the same, and which gasoline engine Mercedes uses as option to diesel.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:00 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #9624
All you guys who are interested in the All Elttectric /Lithium Volta Systems

I am going to sell my Volta system powered retrofitted and upgraded power system Thor Outlaw 38RE 2017
This is the ONLY Thor Outlaw capable of powering all air conditioners and has second alternator powering the 58 V system. It charges for the whole night in no time flat. Go unplugged . I spent over 50k on this battery system and completely retrofitting it includes massive inverters and Automotive Safety Grade steel encased smart Volta power pack (with brain and self diagnostics ) all Volta components . Beautiful yacht like control interface for the power system .
I have not paid for a campground nor hookup for over a year and going . This changes boondocking forever .
If anyone is interested PM Me. I can point you to press articles written about the system I installed .
Old 12-02-2018, 01:02 PM   #23

THOR #9624
Here are pictures of her . She sleeps for the winter in Pennsylvania in toasty heated storage👍
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	215ABE79-BCD8-464C-8BB9-66037C22BB1B.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	14398   Click image for larger version

Name:	000948A1-8EFD-4692-B202-3D93F2C72F19.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	14399  

Old 12-02-2018, 01:03 PM   #24

THOR #9624
Reason for selling

To afford a better home
Old 12-02-2018, 01:11 PM   #25

THOR #9624
It is really interesting story how I customized this coach . I am willing to have telephone conversation to explain the upgrades of having a coach that can run the cabin fridge etc well over 24 hours on battery not plugged in . Vacuuming in air conditioning whilst microwaving breakfast in Walmart parking lot with satellite tv and no need for generator use NO PROBLEM ������(although I left the Onan 5500 intact and connected as a power source )
Old 12-02-2018, 01:15 PM   #26

THOR #9624
This revolutionary retrofit coach was born out of a bad carbon monoxide scare and a naive new RV purchaser that spent time googleing “ Is air RV air conditioning possible on battery / solar alone?” It seemed like a dream to harness this unpluggedness I saw we were all searching for . It is a hard swallow to stupidly buy an RV as I did with eyes on all the features and not how they would be powered or how long a fridge would last on battery without a plug or genny...man I learned the hard way and 12,000 miles later she was conceived with what I experienced as a razor sharp team consisting of Volta power systems and Holland Motorhomes of Holland Michigan . Great company . Volta System is under warranty
Old 12-02-2018, 01:28 PM   #27

THOR #9624
Hi I have been through some challenges and haven’t seen this post - but yes it is still retained house batteries for emergency start and yes there is a second alternator at the charging 58 . I am going to sell her to upgrade the home and due to some health challenges . She can run ac for night totally and satellite tv etc . You can charge the whole thing in place to 100 with the second alternator and high idle switch in less than an hour and less if driving due to higher rpms . Original genny still can powers and charges everything as a secondary failsafe and all new converters and components wiring - protective steel casings cooling and heating and ventilation system as well. I witnessed the diagnostics when the tech plugs in laptop and the data capture is phenomenal completel event history in case of temperature or any problems occurring . For example one time she got too hot due to my own fault . She had protocols where the smart battery prevented me from continuing to commit the error I was doing to protect its own integrity . Far out !!
Old 12-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #28

THOR #9624
Third charging option is to dump juice into the pack faster by engaging the engine , high idle and genny at once for super fast recharge
Old 12-02-2018, 01:30 PM   #29

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
THOR #12434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Sprinter vans may have in the order of 100 kW-hours of usable battery capacity, so running normal house loads other than air conditioner shouldn't affect them much. I do like and think that solar (maybe 1 kW) would allow boondockers to stay out longer.

With any electric vehicle I'd worry about running batteries down before getting to a remote boondocking site, and/or not having enough range left to get back to a recharging/campground location. A small portable Honda probably can't even power an onboard charger so I'd expect limited use if already carrying the equivalent capacity of 100 typical lead batteries. That was my only reasoning.

For boondocking overnight at W-M, C-B, or rest area, vehicle battery should even be able to power air conditioner without any problem. Best of all is that battery-powered A/C should be part of Sprinter vehicle already, so no need for another roof-top A/C and associated inverter.
If my Sprinter chassis sits for a couple weeks, vehicle battery goes dead, even when connected to shore power
Old 12-02-2018, 01:32 PM   #30

THOR #9624
(Although retained house batteries the entire house system now powered off of the new lithium power system including the washer dryer combo I installed as well ...has summonsprings and new step motor)
Old 12-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #31

THOR #9624
This is the Residential Edition 38RE they stopped making with the huge king bedroom w 9foot coffered ceilings and 8 ft shower - rear party deck and half bath and 50 inch tv out back sound bar and outdoor kitchen
Old 12-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #32

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LCB View Post
If my Sprinter chassis sits for a couple weeks, vehicle battery goes dead, even when connected to shore power
Sorry to hear you’re having this problem, which shouldn’t happen, but are too common nonetheless. That’s one reason I like the idea of completely segregated vehicle and coach/house electrical systems. Mercedes Sprinters offer a bracket for a second dedicated engine-driven alternator so the electrical systems can be kept separate, but it’s not normally used due to added cost. As long as electrical systems are commingled, it’s much more probable to run the vehicle battery dead in my opinion.

Do-it-yourself Sprinter builds occassionally install a second alternator to end up with a mini-version of the Volta system, which avoids this problem entirely. It’s unfortunate OEMs like Ford don’t offer a second alternator from factory on most RV chassis because it would keep cost way down, making it very affordable and practical.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:48 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Chance,
Since I've got a Sprinter in my imminent future: can you please point me to some more info about adding a second alternator?
Thanks!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #34

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Chance,
Since I've got a Sprinter in my imminent future: can you please point me to some more info about adding a second alternator?
Thanks!
The bracket is a Mercedes option, although I don’t know why you’d want to add it after the fact. Your RV will already have chassis and house electrical systems commingled, plus your RV will have a generator. A second alternator is generally installed to avoid having a generator, while providing a high-capacity stand-alone charging system.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #35
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
The bracket is a Mercedes option, although I don’t know why you’d want to add it after the fact. Your RV will already have chassis and house electrical systems commingled, plus your RV will have a generator. A second alternator is generally installed to avoid having a generator, while providing a high-capacity stand-alone charging system.
Not necessarily: There have been reports that Mercedes specifically says not to connect the vehicle electrical system to the RV electrical system. Thus: Yes the vehicle battery will die when plugged in due to this restriction.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:48 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I guess that since they are M-B pieces: a call to a dealership should get me in the ballpark,,,
Old 12-02-2018, 09:09 PM   #37

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Not necessarily: There have been reports that Mercedes specifically says not to connect the vehicle electrical system to the RV electrical system. Thus: Yes the vehicle battery will die when plugged in due to this restriction.
I’m not following this comment regarding a second alternator option.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:15 PM   #38

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I guess that since they are M-B pieces: a call to a dealership should get me in the ballpark,,,
Here is bracket option, but you still have to add the alternator, belt drive, and wiring. Price is not too bad compared to aftermarket systems in my opinion. But to be of value, there has to be a need for it, and I don’t see it in your case.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E3BA7B35-E052-4929-884B-BDC037C50A27.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	14411  
Old 12-02-2018, 11:07 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks!
I didn't ask about it just for myself...
Someone else in here might just find the information to be VERY useful...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:28 PM   #40

THOR #2121
If using 2nd alternator in place of generator, where it would run at high power for longer periods, you may also want to add the high-idle option. Those who drive a lot during day may be able to get away without this option.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CE37FA09-93EA-4CD0-99BC-9409D14496B0.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	14412