Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
A real electric RV in the future?

We all know RV manufacturers won't build a fully electric RV without one of their chassis suppliers providing an electric chassis....

Here for your reading pleasure: a Mercedes electric Sprinter:

Mercedes electric Sprinter spied

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:00 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
If you think about it ....Why not? You travel from campground to campground each time plugging in to recharge, add a small generator and some solar? Could be a great way to travel America! thanks 4 posting.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
If it's electric, why would it need a generator?

If it has enough batteries to have useable driving range, then the same batteries can power the "house".
Old 12-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Maybe boondocking running a few things? Like one of those 1000w quiet Honda generators.. backup?
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #5

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
Maybe boondocking running a few things? Like one of those 1000w quiet Honda generators.. backup?
Sprinter vans may have in the order of 100 kW-hours of usable battery capacity, so running normal house loads other than air conditioner shouldn't affect them much. I do like and think that solar (maybe 1 kW) would allow boondockers to stay out longer.

With any electric vehicle I'd worry about running batteries down before getting to a remote boondocking site, and/or not having enough range left to get back to a recharging/campground location. A small portable Honda probably can't even power an onboard charger so I'd expect limited use if already carrying the equivalent capacity of 100 typical lead batteries. That was my only reasoning.

For boondocking overnight at W-M, C-B, or rest area, vehicle battery should even be able to power air conditioner without any problem. Best of all is that battery-powered A/C should be part of Sprinter vehicle already, so no need for another roof-top A/C and associated inverter.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:18 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
If there are enough batteries to move the thing any appreciable range (say 200-300 miles) then those same batteries could easily power it while boondocking for at least a few weeks.

Note that actually moving the coach down the road will take far more watts (kW actually) than sitting there with the A/C cycling on/off and the refer cycling on/off.

Even the motor in my old Focus Electric was 107kW--compare that to the sizes of the inverters people are installing (1-5kW) or the generator's output (5kW). The motor in an electric coach will be much bigger than 107kW.

Just prior to boondocking you'd want to charge up the "big battery" and you'd be good for a long time.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:23 PM   #7

THOR #2121
Yeah, in a van you'll likely be limited by fresh water and/or holding tanks much before you'd run down that much battery capacity if only watching TV, using water pump, microwave, etc.

Many vans have 11,000 BTU A/C that pull about 1 kW, so even running that much for 2 days straight would require about 50 kWh at most, still within capacity of some electric vehicle battery packs.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #8

State: New York
THOR #9624
Check out my system from Volta Power Sysytems they installed on my Thor Outlaw 38RE
Old 12-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #9

THOR #9624
http://www.mlive.com/business/west-m...p_with_rv.html
Old 12-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #10

THOR #9624
https://voltapowersystems.com/2017/1...nced-rv-power/
Old 12-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #11

THOR #9624
I am thrilled with this they were very conservative on their predictions ! I am charged fully and super fast going down the road due to the 58v second alternator that both charges and powers the entire coach at same time that I drive
Old 12-08-2017, 11:32 AM   #12

THOR #9624
The battery pack is automotive grade safety and is a smart battery complete w diagnostics and self governing protocol and safety features.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorandLokiOutlawz View Post
I am thrilled with this they were very conservative on their predictions ! I am charged fully and super fast going down the road due to the 58v second alternator that both charges and powers the entire coach at same time that I drive

Interesting -- had not seen your post previously. A couple of questions if you don't mind.

What capacity/size (in Amps or kW) is second alternator? I'm assuming the system is 48-Volt nominal, and charges at 58 Volts (equivalent to 14.5 Volts on 12-Volt system).

Was new high-capacity alternator added to Ford V-10? Did it replace original alternator, or is it a second alternator?

How is your 12-Volt original house battery system powered now? Is it charged off original Ford 14-Volt alternator and or original "house" converter? Or is it charged from 48-Volt system using a new DC-DC converter?

Can you run one A/C overnight from the 13.5 kW-hour battery bank?

Lastly, what does a system like this cost when installed by dealer?
Old 12-13-2017, 03:51 PM   #14

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
.......cut....

Here for your reading pleasure: a Mercedes electric Sprinter:

.......cut.....

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd add to this one since it involves 2019 Sprinter.

Mercedes recently leaked a few pictures of interior of the new Sprinter, and it looks very different -- a complete redesign. Of particular interest is the picture showing the wide space between the two front seats, and what also appears as generous room between seats and dash to move between driver/passenger seats and rear of van. This is the one area that the Ford Transit disappointed my wife and me the most.

It's hard to tell from one picture, but seats look like they are set higher as if van floor is more level like older vans, which I find more desirable for motorhome use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5942.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	8210  
Old 12-19-2017, 07:16 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Here's some additional information on the 2019 Sprinter, including some data on the electric version. The reported 41.4 kW-hour battery pack capacity is much lower than I expected (even seems low for +/- 100-mile range).

https://www.trucks.com/2017/12/04/me...-sprinter-van/

Other early information (don't know how accurate it is) that may interest RVers in general since Sprinters play an important role in smaller motorhomes are:

It will be offered with gasoline engine

Three roof heights but only low and high offered in US

Will have FWD, RWD, and AWD versions, but US won't get FWD
Old 12-20-2017, 12:31 AM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Here's some additional information on the 2019 Sprinter, including some data on the electric version. The reported 41.4 kW-hour battery pack capacity is much lower than I expected (even seems low for +/- 100-mile range).

https://www.trucks.com/2017/12/04/me...-sprinter-van/

Other early information (don't know how accurate it is) that may interest RVers in general since Sprinters play an important role in smaller motorhomes are:

It will be offered with gasoline engine

Three roof heights but only low and high offered in US

Will have FWD, RWD, and AWD versions, but US won't get FWD
Ah yeah looks like they are targeting the BEV version towards in city delivery vans and not "long haul RVs"; too bad. It would only take about 3x the battery (or about 120kWh or so) to get some decent range--of course the bigger the battery the longer to fill it up.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:46 AM   #17

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
electric m/h

dont bet on it any time soon, it would be way after semi truck go electric for the along haul, batteries are expensive, and they don't like cold weather and long periods of inactivity,

the only reason we have some electric cars now are huge tax payer subsidies on the order of 35k per car
Old 12-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmetal View Post
dont bet on it any time soon, it would be way after semi truck go electric for the along haul, batteries are expensive, and they don't like cold weather and long periods of inactivity,

the only reason we have some electric cars now are huge tax payer subsidies on the order of 35k per car
Just about every statement here is incorrect.

Battery costs are rapidly approaching $100/kWh
Cold storage doesn't affect batteries as much as you think (many Ford Focus Electrics sat on dealers lots for long stretches with no affect on the HVB; the 12V batteries, however, die an early death).

Taxpayer subsidies are only $7500 per car for the first 100,000 cars an OEM makes (Tesla is quick approaching that number) nationally. Some states (like California) tack on another $2500 on top of that. Hardly anything near the $35k you mention. (Also note that the $7500 survived the new tax bill and still exists.)

Oh and look at that UPS orders 125 Tesla battery trucks--semi trucks are going electric much sooner than you think (yeah given Tesla's history of delivering late it will be later than they say LOL). If Tesla can come even close to what they say the prices of these will be companies stand to save hundreds of thousands over the life of the truck in fuel and maintenance costs.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:06 PM   #19

THOR #2121
Perhaps a mild hybrid or plug-in will make a better first step for RV use.

Haven't seen which engines Mercedes will be offering in new Sprinter, but would like to see the new 3.0-liter inline six with 48-Volt starter/alternator (mild hybrid) make the cut. Done right there is a lot of potential for MH applications.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:23 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Check out this review of a class B with a Lithium battery (you can skip in 15 minutes or so if you're only interested in the electrical system):

(Yeah its the same guy who did the black tank tests...)