Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Ontario
THOR #8746
Rear view Camera trouble

I am the owner of a "Four Wind 22E 2017" since August 2017 And Since the beginning I have some trouble with my BackUp/ Rear View Camera. The back camera was replaced and and the switch box was replaced. Unfortunately this didn't fix the problem and the image of the back camera continue to go from a clear image to a dark screen with sometimes "No Signal" and came back on and off and on and off. The two side cameras works well all the time it is only the Rear one that give me this trouble. I am totally lost and in a non understanding situation. What can cause this. Am I the only one with this trouble? Here are some linls to show you my trouble
Part 1 https://youtu.be/wM-IvluHArM
Part 2 https://youtu.be/bboYP1yAlJE
Part 3 https://youtu.be/y-LHo_ih6dg

Michel

Old 01-29-2018, 12:54 AM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Alabama
THOR #10222
Rear view Camera trouble

Have you checked the activating switch for the back up camera, could be loose connection or mis adjusted
Old 01-29-2018, 01:02 AM   #3

THOR #8746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tndrea2 View Post
Have you checked the activating switch for the back up camera, could be loose connection or mis adjusted
What do you mean by the "activating switch"? Normally the camera is powered by the RVS-501N3 switch Box. I know there is trigger cable for each camera and the side camera are triggered by turn signal but the rear one is supposed to be always on. I have no idea where it is connected it seems the wires goes under the MH thru the rear not found yet where.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:53 AM   #4

THOR #10222
Unless it is activated by a wire when put in reverse it would not apply but even your back up lights are activated by a mechanical switch when shifter is placed in reverse
Old 01-29-2018, 02:54 AM   #5

THOR #10222
It would be the same switch that activates your back up lights
Old 01-29-2018, 03:05 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #7948
Our 2018 Hurricane 29M has the same problem. It’s at our dealership right now for our checklist of warranty work. We assumed we had a loose connection, but our dealer has told us the problem is actually the radio and they will be replacing it. We’ll keep you updated....
Old 01-29-2018, 03:08 AM   #7

THOR #10222
Thank you TomandLinda for the info
Old 01-29-2018, 10:36 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
From the video it looks like a poor connection somewhere. Since your side cameras work fine it probably isn’t your radio. When your rear camera was replaced did they replace the cable from the rear to the front? Could be bad. Start by rechecking all the connections, start at the rear and work forward. Check the connection at the video switch box. When the switch box was replaced you may have gotten another bad one, the boxes are notorious for being a problem. On our coach we had the same problem, intermittent signal from the rear camera only, it was the switch box causing the problem.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:09 AM   #9

THOR #8746
Hi to all,

The problem is coming from the cable, but it is intermittent. This afternoon, when I had again the no signal, after several tests, I just switched the rear cable connected on camera 3, on the switch box by one of the side camera and I had the signal. So, I supposed Thor damaged the cable when they build the RV. New cable is ordered, the run of the cable is almost easy to do, except for the last 3 feet. it is located beyond the wall in the rear over bed cabinet. And I have no idea how to open it without destroying it. If someone have an idea, let me know.

Thanks to all your comment it was much appreciated.

Michel
Old 02-04-2018, 02:07 AM   #10

THOR #10222
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydiveMG View Post
Hi to all,

The problem is coming from the cable, but it is intermittent. This afternoon, when I had again the no signal, after several tests, I just switched the rear cable connected on camera 3, on the switch box by one of the side camera and I had the signal. So, I supposed Thor damaged the cable when they build the RV. New cable is ordered, the run of the cable is almost easy to do, except for the last 3 feet. it is located beyond the wall in the rear over bed cabinet. And I have no idea how to open it without destroying it. If someone have an idea, let me know.

Michel

Glad you figured out the problem, I wish I knew how to tell you to fix the 3 feet, only recommendation I could suggest it put a split connection in & hope the last 3 ‘ is good this would save having to tear out anything
Old 02-04-2018, 03:29 AM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydiveMG View Post
Hi to all,

Michel
Not sure which camera you have, several models have the connection right behind the camera. Remove the screws holding the camera on, pull gently, you should be able to pull the pigtail on the camera out where you can get to the connection. Tie a long string on the old cable, pull on the cable where you have access, tie the string on to the new cable to pull it back in place. You may need a helper to feed the string and cable. Not hard to do, just a PIA!!!
Old 03-07-2018, 02:57 AM   #12

THOR #8746
I had some trouble with my BackUp Camera and my Axxera Radio. So I decided to replace the radio by a JVC with Android Auto, replace all the setting of my cameras by adding a camera with microphone and a mirror mount screen, some switches to activate the camera manually when I need it ( right or left ) some switches to power cameras and radio from Chassis or from Coach, add a map light and USB charger. And found my last mile run behind the cabinet wall, I am a happy camper[emoji4] Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1520389083897.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	9292Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1520389092396.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	9293Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1520389119481.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	9294Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1520391406184.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	9295
Old 03-07-2018, 03:42 AM   #13

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Glad you got everything the way you want it! Congrats.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:02 AM   #14

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #9747
Nicely done. I have been considering getting one with Android auto. Let us know how you like this one.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:32 PM   #15

Model: Windsport 34E
THOR #9420
Hi everyone, I have a 2014 Windsport 34E I had the same problem with the rear camera. I even went as far as buying a new camera but that didn't work either. I called ASA electronics who makes the Voyager cameras, he had me to hook the camera directly to the switch box connected to the radio and the camera worked fine. We came to the conclusion that the cable was bad. I didn't want to try to hunt this cable down and route it through the walls or under belly of the RV so I went to a wireless system. Voyager makes a wireless camera and receiver kit that hooked up to my system easily. The product number is WVRXCAM1.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:55 PM   #16

State: Colorado
THOR #12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucas6299 View Post
Hi everyone, I have a 2014 Windsport 34E I had the same problem with the rear camera. I even went as far as buying a new camera but that didn't work either. I called ASA electronics who makes the Voyager cameras, he had me to hook the camera directly to the switch box connected to the radio and the camera worked fine. We came to the conclusion that the cable was bad. I didn't want to try to hunt this cable down and route it through the walls or under belly of the RV so I went to a wireless system. Voyager makes a wireless camera and receiver kit that hooked up to my system easily. The product number is WVRXCAM1.

How did you hook up the rear camera directly to the switchbox? The only connection I see leading from my Axxera radio is a female RCA plug. The wire from the camera has several pins.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:48 AM   #17

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
I have the THOR ACE with backup camera and 3 lights. The lights are dim and / or inop. Is this a common problem? I will remove camera from vehicle and check security of wires. Are these accessible from the rear of vehicle, or does the interior panel need to come off?
Old 01-06-2022, 02:09 AM   #18

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20468
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
I have the THOR ACE with backup camera and 3 lights. The lights are dim and / or inop. Is this a common problem? I will remove camera from vehicle and check security of wires. Are these accessible from the rear of vehicle, or does the interior panel need to come off?
You can replace the camera from outside. Remove the screws and pull the camera and wire out. Unplug the connector and plug in a new camera.

You can buy a new camera from Rear View Safety with infrared sensors.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:29 AM   #19
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
RBYKID's solution does not apply to your RV. The clearance LED/Integrated camera device is 1 piece with no repairable parts. There was a thread here recently where the poster had one of the LEDs completely unlit. Replacing the entire device turned out to be the repair.

You should be able to get to the wires by removing the rear curved panel behind it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:08 PM   #20

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Thank you, that was me. I first observed that one of the lights was out. It was actually DIM, Now some others are dim. So i think the issue is a wire loose. The camera is fine. I just didn't want to pull the panels yet inside.

Tom
2021 THOR ACE 30.4