Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2018, 08:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: South Carolina
THOR #13095
Recommendations on Ext. Service Plans??

Recently bought my 2013 Tuscany XTE 36MQ. I'm pleased … a clean coach with all records of regular routine maintenance. But …, Murphy's Law.

I am looking at Good Sam's and have a quote.

Does anyone use a different ESP provider whom you would recommend I look at?

Thanks for your help!

billanderson473@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:13 PM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum!

There's a neat feature called "search" on this site, and if you use it, you will find that extended warranties have been thoroughly discussed. There are some e w fans here, but personally, I am not one of them.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:36 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Extended service Plans are the product you buy... and desperatly hope to never have to use!
Welcome to our little place in the Sun!

Oh! We bought the plan from Good Sam's, when we bought our rig last year... We figure that it's sort of like paying for "Peace of Mind".
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:42 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
We have never had a luck with extended service plans. They always come up with an excuse why something isn't covered. Some are dealer specific.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #5

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
We've had ext. warranties (EW) on some of our previous RV's but have elected not to get one for our current Axis. Biggest problem that, like many others, that we experienced with them is getting the 'prior approval' before any work is done. This can sometimes take days and even longer if the EW company you buy from doesn't staff their approval office over weekends. So, if your rig is immobile, you may be waiting for a while. Better to just call whomever you can get to respond and get back on the road. And, over time, its often less expensive than the thousands of dollars you'll pay for an EW. Also, remember that if your problem is with the chassis, the vehicle manufacturer's factory warranty is usually good for 3 years or 36k miles. Finally, if you have some common sense and you're the least big familiar with vehicular electronics and repair, and you can read repair instructions, such as those posted on this forum by Ed Felker, you can handle many repairs yourself.
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L
This manual is mainly for Axis and Vegas units but many RV components are shared by various models, so you can get some good information, whether your's is an Axis or Vegas or not.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:14 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I have GSEW and have had on all my units. I have used it twice on my past tow vech. It saved me a bunch of money by having it. Yes the "pre approval" can sometimes be a pain but I am happy with the end result.