Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2015, 04:26 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: California
THOR #2554
remove/replace TV

How does one remove the TV over the doorway of a ACE 27.1?

Old 09-13-2015, 02:50 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
If is the same as the Vegas, the piece under the TV snaps out (it's on the same snaps that hold the drawers closed). Then you can reach your hand in there (or get someone with smaller hands to do this) and the TV is mounted on two hook like holders that unlock and swing toward you and then lift up and out. Having a second person there to disconnect the wires while you are holding it is a good idea. When you put it back, the two hanging hooks fit back over the rod and when you swing it towards the wall, it locks. The piece under the bottom then should snap in. When you take that piece out, pull it straight out. If you baby it, the snaps may snap back in rather than stay out, so when you try to put it back in, you have to manually pry the snap out. I have only had this happen once.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:29 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: California
THOR #2554
Thank you Oneilkeys for your response.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:37 AM   #4

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
Interesting that the mount on my Axis is different. There are two straps that are tucked up behind the bottom of the TV. You pull the straps down to release the TV from the bracket.

However, I have yet to figure out how to remove the outside TV.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
If is the same as the Vegas, the piece under the TV snaps out (it's on the same snaps that hold the drawers closed).
Old 09-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #5

THOR #1765
In my 2014 Vegas, on the outside TV there are two small brackets at the top of the TV. If you unscrew the two screws in each bracket, the TV pulls forward from the top and out. The straps sound like a good idea. Maybe I will try to install some if I ever take the TV out again.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
On my Axis its the same as Oneilkeys Vegas: pop the board out and flip the two levers to release the TV.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #7

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
I will look for the brackets when I get my Axis back from the Ford dealer. I want to run a HDMI cable from the outside TV to a switch so I can connect my Sat receiver either to the rear TV or to the outside TV.

Thanks,

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
In my 2014 Vegas, on the outside TV there are two small brackets at the top of the TV. If you unscrew the two screws in each bracket, the TV pulls forward from the top and out. The straps sound like a good idea. Maybe I will try to install some if I ever take the TV out again.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:40 PM   #8

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
How hard and in what direction do you pull the board off? I did not go too aggressive when I read the information as I have no need at this time to take it down.

The last two times I managed to abuse my hands enough to get them up and behind the TV to remove the TV but what a workout! The ability to remove the board would be very helpful.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:26 PM   #9

THOR #1765
The board is held by two clips near the ends. They are the same clips that hold the large drawers under the stove closed, so you have to pull down sharply on both ends at the same time. I store my HDMI cord under there that I use to attach my apple laptop to the TV. So I take the board down all the time to stream movies to the TV.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:56 PM   #10

THOR #2142
Oneil, Thanks I have been pulling out not down!!!

I am looking forward to getting home and work on this.

Thanks again.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:30 AM   #11

THOR #2142
No board, just the straps.

I am more concerned with the cable laying against the exhaust pipe (see thread 350 will not shift out of Drive).

Old 09-15-2015, 07:24 PM   #12

THOR #1765
The 2016's have the 32" TV over the door, a nice addition. That is why there is no board underneath the TV. I looked at replacing my small TV with the 32" outside TV but it looked to me as if it would be a head bumper entering or leaving the RV. I wonder if the new 32" TVs in the 2016 are narrower than the ones in the 2014's?
Old 09-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #13

THOR #2142
Oneil,

I'll measure it when I get home (and take a picture or two).

If I could make a recommendation, get a Smart TV that has the option of 12V/110V operation. Then run the RCA DVD cables from your Chassis Radio to the TV. With that arrangement you can use the 12V system to watch TV or play a DVD and not need the generator or shore power for 110 Service.

Also, if the Smart TV will blue-tooth and WiFi in 12V mode you open up a lot of possibilities.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:48 PM   #14

THOR #1765
That is a good idea. What I did was to install a small inverter in the cabinet above the sink where the TV is plugged in. I also installed a VCR on the stop shelf and when we are dry camping I can plug one or both of them into the inverter and run them off the battery. I have an HDMI cord that runs from the back of the TV that I can access by taking my board off and plug it into my Apple Laptop on the kitchen counter extension. That way I can watch movies and TV shows from thumb drives. A Smart TV would be nice. I have one at home and you can use thumb drives directly into the TV, bypassing the laptop. We just watch the TV so infrequently that I have not run out and bought one. The inverter is also useful to charge my wife's camera batteries.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:28 AM   #15

THOR #2142
Oneil,
Just got around to measuring the 32" TV over the door. It is 29" long by 17 1/2" tall. For some reason it is offset over the door with a 6" wood panel on the right side (not removeavle WP_20150916_06_16_55_Pro__highres.jpg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150916_06_16_55_Pro__highres.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	791  

Old 09-16-2015, 01:11 PM   #16

THOR #1765
Thanks for doing that for me. I will measure our outside one and see if I can mount it somehow above the door.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #17

THOR #1765
Just as I thought. My outside TV measures 30 1/2" X almost 19 1/2. Thor has found one just a little smaller to fit above the door. The extra 2" puts it just below the bottom board. The few inches "down" along with the few inches "out" may be too much. I will have to play with it and see. Maybe I can find a smart TV so I can put a chromcast usb in it and run it off my iPad. If only Apple would come up with an external storage device which will input to the iPad, I could leave my laptop at home and not have to hook it up every time I wanted to watch something.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:30 PM   #18

THOR #2142
Oneil,

My DW hates it when I drill holes in things but, I have thought about tilting TV forward to give it a better presentation when sitting on the couch. If you are having to build your own mount (or modify the one on the back of the outdoor TV) you might be able to offset the extra 2" by tilting the TV forward.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:08 PM   #19

THOR #1765
Yes, I have looked at doing that. I will have to disassemble the cabinet that it sits in anyway. I am looking into purchasing some sort of extendable arm so I can pull it off the wall and tilt it. I found one that projects less than 3" from the wall, so it might work. The new smart LED TVs are only 17" tall so they will work better than the outside one. This is an after Xmass project since I won't be home for the next couple of months. It will be fun to play with.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:39 AM   #20

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Are the TVs 120 volt