Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2017, 02:16 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #7689
I'm going to try that this winter...I just don't have the strength to do anything else.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:52 AM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
When we had the 41 foot DP and towed, I never even tried to get fuel at a gas station. I would only stop at truck stops, which always had enough space to maneuver in. Now we rarely tow, MH is really small enough to get into parking lots, most, for supplies, and there is always the rental car if we are anywhere for any period of time.
Great to know you can travel in a 25-foot motorhome without towing a car. I've flat towed a small Ford pickup truck but not for camping.

Like axis earl we often carry bikes (pedal type, not electric) but rarely use them for more than recreational purposes. An exception is a small town in Texas Hill Country where we feel safe riding into town for lunch or early dinner. I don't feel comfortable with wife riding on dark road back to campground. In future I would like to try large scooter or small motorcycle to give us more options.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:13 AM   #23

Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by russue125 View Post
What make of carrier is it?
I got it from Northern Tools, I had a $20.00 off coupon and the price was not all that bad.
I have this carrier, it is made of aluminum, and it is light weight enough that I can handle it (I am 74 years old, and not as strong anymore as I used to be)
Ultra-Tow Aluminum Receiver-Mounted Motorcycle Carrier | Receiver Hitch Cargo Carriers| Northern Tool + Equipment
Old 06-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #24

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
I am a pre-trip planner, always have been even when we were full timing in our fiver. I check desired routes in advance, consult Trucker's atlas, and start locating fuel stops. My preferred fuel vendor has always been Pilot/Flying J, and that hasn't changed throughout having a diesel and now gas. My RVs have never been less than 56' total length (tow included) so I never felt the desire to fight for space in gas stations designed for cars/vans/small trucks.

The Good Sams Pilot card gives discounts per gallon which keeps them competitive. Currently using the dedicated RV gas lanes I get my receipt at the pump, can use a 6' windshield cleaning brush, and know there will be a parking spot for me if I want to take more of a break.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:29 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
I got it from Northern Tools, I had a $20.00 off coupon and the price was not all that bad.
I have this carrier, it is made of aluminum, and it is light weight enough that I can handle it (I am 74 years old, and not as strong anymore as I used to be)
Ultra-Tow Aluminum Receiver-Mounted Motorcycle Carrier | Receiver Hitch Cargo Carriers| Northern Tool + Equipment
Or you can get the Harbor Freight version for under $100 with your 20% off coupon:

https://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb...ier-62837.html
Old 06-02-2017, 02:15 PM   #26
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by russue125 View Post
What make of carrier is it?

I carry a Yamaha Tmax 550cc on a ramp I bought on Ebay. It has a load capacity of 600 lbs. and is powder coated steel. I looked at the aluminum one at Harbor Freight and it seem sturdy enough for my scooter.

Kev
Old 06-03-2017, 03:38 AM   #27

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Or you can get the Harbor Freight version for under $100 with your 20% off coupon:

https://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb...ier-62837.html
Read bad reports of that one in other forums. It seems that welds tend to break on it.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:54 PM   #28

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
Rental Car vs Toad

We are fairly new to RVing. So far we have always used Enterprise for car rental. It would cost me over 4K to equip my Jeep for flat towing. That cost and an increase in fuel costs can buy a lot of rentals. Of course the more we travel at some point that may change our thinking.

Vince
Old 06-14-2017, 12:09 AM   #29

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Arizona
THOR #6335
We are renting cars for now the plan is to at some point tow but for now we are in no hurry
Old 06-14-2017, 12:26 AM   #30

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJRocky View Post
We are fairly new to RVing. So far we have always used Enterprise for car rental. It would cost me over 4K to equip my Jeep for flat towing. That cost and an increase in fuel costs can buy a lot of rentals. Of course the more we travel at some point that may change our thinking.

Vince
Do the Same here in a lot of areas you can rent from Enterprise Fri thru Monday $8.00 per day

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:10 AM   #31

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJRocky View Post

Vince
We have done both, advantages and disadvantages to both. Towed for years, now as we get older, need things simpler, so for now we rarely tow, and will rent econoboxes as needed.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:30 AM   #32

Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Alaska
THOR #7867
My first year of RV was with a dolly. It turned out to be a nightmare especially in rainy weather getting the car up the ramp. I had to bring extra planks and as the I drive the straps stretched. After one year traveling about 11,000miles I returned home sold the dolly and set up to flat tow. Piece of cake to connect regardless of the weather. Best choice I could have made. It worked well for me!
Old 10-26-2019, 01:58 PM   #33

Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
We’re thinking about this now...

We’re looking at starting with our first RV. I have never driven an RV and don’t feel comfortable towing, in addition to inexperienced driving.

Ms. WT suggested renting at our destinations. Sounds good, especially if near an Enterprise!

But how about Uber and Lyft? Has anyone used these extensively? My daughter in Texas doesn’t own a car and Ubers everywhere.

Thoughts? Horror stories?
Old 10-26-2019, 02:13 PM   #34
Site Team

THOR #7035
Renting, Ubers and Lyfts are all options IF AVAILABLE. There are plenty of places in this great country worth seeing where none of these options are available. Most people that start out relying on these options eventually get a toad, but not all. Driving a RV and pulling a toad is not difficult; the more experience you obtain the easier it becomes.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:41 AM   #35

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
I don't even really feel my Jeep behind my ACE( unless in dragging it up a big hill). I check my rear view periodically if I haven't seen it for a while. I really like the convenience and safety of having an alternate form of transportation available in case of a mechanical or tire issue with the MH. Easy to hook up and unhook, no dolly to keep up with and find a place to store. I seem to find myself pretty far from support quite often so rental or Uber wouldn't work for us. Does make me plan ahead a little better when refueling because I can't really back up with Toad hooked up. Worst case I am prepared to unhook to refuel and rehook to travel, but I've never had to do that yet. Do whatever works best the way you travel, safe travels.
(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:26 AM   #36

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
We went with a tow dolly mostly because the only vehicle in out 4 car fleet that could be towed was front wheel drive. we will be going to 4 down at some point because getting on the ground to hook up the safety chains (some people don't use these but that's not smart) and to ratchet up the straps over the wheels in the rain or on wet ground has it's drawbacks. As I get older and after a full knee replacement the up and down crawling around for the tilt pin and such get's old after 2 months of a road trip. But if you are buying a vehicle to tow, get one that's 4 down or get ready to get dirty A LOT!

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:52 AM   #37
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
We went with a tow dolly mostly because the only vehicle in out 4 car fleet that could be towed was front wheel drive. we will be going to 4 down at some point because getting on the ground to hook up the safety chains (some people don't use these but that's not smart) and to ratchet up the straps over the wheels in the rain or on wet ground has it's drawbacks. As I get older and after a full knee replacement the up and down crawling around for the tilt pin and such get's old after 2 months of a road trip. But if you are buying a vehicle to tow, get one that's 4 down or get ready to get dirty A LOT!
Just because it's front wheel drive does not make it non-flat towable: my Sonic is FWD and is flat towable as are many othe smaller GM and Ford cars. Check your owners manuals.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:07 AM   #38
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
Get an old yoga mat and throw it down on the dirt. You will no longer get dirty and it is a lot more comfortable than the hard ground (especially on the knees).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:02 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Better yet: bribe a neighborhood kid to do the dirty work...
(Under your watchful eye: of course!)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:38 PM   #40

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Master Tow

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote