Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2019, 07:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Replacement curtains?

My question is where/how do people replace their coach curtains? I know some have customs made, change out the style, make new ones themselves, etc. I've been all over YouTube...lol.

But for now all I would like to do is purchase a pair as similar to original as possible.

I contacted Thor. They said to contact our dealer. I contacted the dealer and at first the fellow blew me off. He said they don't sell curtains. I asked him what others would do if they wanted to buy. He asked me if I could send him the VIN and some pictures so HE could contact Thor. I did that. Of course he had no success. He even told me (I think it was a slip) that contacting Thor was an effort in frustration (paraphrasing his words), and that they were difficult to work with. Oh well...

Any resources that I could check into? Thanks.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #2
z28

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Florida
THOR #9536
I just had my left side curtain replaced on my 2028 Ace. I purchased my motohome from Camping World, they were able to get a replacement directly from Thor in the correct color and fabric.. I suggest you contact Thor directly. Good luck
Mark
Old 02-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
From what I've heard you contact Thor to get a part number, then contact your dealer and have them order that part.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:19 PM   #4

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
The wife made ours. We wanted some insulating curtains, so she bought some of the right drape-type ones, measured and hemmed, added some very small plastic rings embedded in some Lacy-type material, and that was it.
The originals weren't that good at keeping the inside temp where we wanted it.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:24 AM   #5

Model: 2015 vegas 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #1448
When I needed a part, I called Thor. Thor told me to call Total Value Rv. They ordered the part, it was then shipped from Thor. https://www.totalvaluerv.com
Old 02-10-2019, 02:35 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
I went to a local Fabric Store and looked at a lot of samples before I settled on fabric a little darker than the Thor curtains. I also got a heavier "gauge" of backing/liner and velcro for tiebacks. Note: I made sure I got enough fabric for window tiebacks.

Think I paid $25.00 for material and velcro.

I took all this to a local lady who made exact copies of the curtains and tiebacks. Since I only needed to do the curtains up forward I paid her $30.00 and had the new curtains back in about a week.

She did transfer the curtains hangers/slides from the old curtains to the new curtains. That not only saved me $$$ but also time trying to find new hangers/slides and getting them shipped to me in a timely manner.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:39 AM   #7

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
The wife made ours. We wanted some insulating curtains, so she bought some of the right drape-type ones, measured and hemmed, added some very small plastic rings embedded in some Lacy-type material, and that was it.
The originals weren't that good at keeping the inside temp where we wanted it.
Does she want to start a small custom replacement business? Every Thor out in the sun will have the backing shred in 1-2 years. I try to tackle ours but I hem with a stapler. Besides, I can't be a seamstress...I can't mend straight.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:35 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
We took down the curtains in the front of our Hurricane and the wife sewed new black out curtains right on to them. Put them back up and now they provide a measure of insulation to the front and look great to boot.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
We took down the curtains in the front of our Hurricane and the wife sewed new black out curtains right on to them. Put them back up and now they provide a measure of insulation to the front and look great to boot.
Thanks! That’s a great idea!
Old 02-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #10

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
My wife replaced the original blinds with curtains she made. We did the back and slide windows and replaced the front curtain. The front curtain was pretty ugly shade of yellow and she found it to be insufficiently opaque at night. I was in charge of pulling the valances, installing dual rods behind them and then reinstalling everything. Rods and hardware came from Ikea. New curtains aren't black out, but they cut out a lot of light as the fabric she used has a pretty heavy lining.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Orginal Slide.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	15620   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Slide.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	15621  

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Front.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	15622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rods at Valance.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	15623  

Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:02 PM   #11

THOR #2005
I want to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. I will continue my search.

Just to clarify - I DID contact Thor directly and they referred me to the dealer. Our dealer is Lazydays in Tucson and they were NO help at all.

I may have to check out Camping World. There is one in Tucson as well.

I do like the idea of crafting our own curtains, but at this point in time I just want a quick fix.

Thanks again for the help!

Eileen in AZ
Old 02-10-2019, 06:03 PM   #12

THOR #2005
Sorry about the font size! I thought I fixed it!
Old 02-11-2019, 12:59 AM   #13

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
We went to Joanns and bought the heaviest curtain lining they had. Ripped the shredding backing off the old front side curtains in our Vegas, and Mrs S dusted off her old sewing machine. It was easy (for her) to sew the new backing to the original curtains and cut off the excess. That was 3 years ago, and they are holding up well.

It seemed pointless to me to replace the curtains with new ones that would suffer the same deterioration all too soon.

I use a giant foil sunscreen from C Wrld in the front, similar to the ones sold for cars.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:56 AM   #14

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeliec View Post
Sorry about the font size! I thought I fixed it!
No, I liked it.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #15

THOR #2005
Quick update...

...and a special shoutout to jazzfest!

I did contact Total Value RV and was able to have them order a set of front privacy curtains. They were drop shipped from Thor and we got them in about 3 weeks. They are a little more taupe in shade than the originals that came with our RV. That's a good thing. Anyway, we now have a set of replacement curtains that will hopefully last another few years.

Thanks for all the suggestions on how to make my own. I may tackle that idea in the near future so I can be ready when the second set falls apart.