Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: California
THOR #5809
Question Replacement for failed ACE door lock (affects some other models)

Well, it finally happened to us, too. The entry door lock on our 2016 Thor ACE 30.1 broke a couple of days ago, locking us out. It took $290 to get a locksmith from 75 miles away to get in. Now I have to get a replacement assembly.

I’ve seen numerous posts from people who replaced it with the same (supposedly improved) Attwood model, an unspecified Bauer model, or an unspecified RV Locks model. Some say it fit perfectly, some say they had to modify either the lock assembly or the door to make it fit.

Can anybody who has successfully replaced the assembly without having to modify anything tell me exactly what they bought? If I have a choice, I’ll probably get a unit which allows keyless entry, but either way I’d line to know what will fit and work.

I think I would rather avoid buying another Attwood, because they let the problem go on with their locks for so long. The failures are well documented going back at least to 2012, and I believe a lot further. But still, if you installed and Attwood, and you’re happy with it, please share the details.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Attwood? The locks with the failure problem are all Trimark.

I bought this one to fit my 2016 ACE with no modifications:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:23 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
We also had the TRIMARK on our 2016 VEGAS...

Ours did not "break" (yet) however, we travel with dogs and I didnt want the chance of us being on the outside and the pups being stuck on the inside....

We found the exact replacement of the lock, but instead of the ZINC parts, this one used STEEL. (you can use a magnet to verify)

Lock is much more "secure" feeling than the OEM, and you basically only replace the workings so no cosmetic issues on the replacement.

We found ours on EBAY from a person in "ELKHARDT, INDIANA" (gee who would think that the home city of RVs would have rv lock parts)
Old 06-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #5437
I just replaced my door lock in 2017 29.3 ACE. I had a Trimark and replaced it with a BP-12 RV lock for Bauer. I did not want the keyless. Anyway it was not an exact match but very close. The only thing I had to do to make it fit was to loosen the molding screws on the door frame. The reason was the Trimark guides were removable and the Bauer ones were not. Very happy with the replacement.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:03 PM   #5

THOR #5809
Trimark, of course. Not Attwood. I was tired, I guess.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:00 PM   #6

State: Colorado
THOR #5190
On our 2027 ACE 30.1 swapped the door lock to a Bauer lock a couple of years agp

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The lock fit quite 4well with the only issue being that the lock bezel is a bit smaller than the decal cutout on the door. I have some sheet rubber that I’ve been thinking of putting under the lock to effectively make a larger bezel. I’ve been thinking about it for 2 years now so that says how much it bothers me.

I did try a pair of lithium batteries in the lock but the must be a hair shorter than regular AA batteries as I kept having problems with the lock forgetting the code and going back to the factory default. It would only happen after driving for several hours.i figure that the spring force holding the batteries wasn’t enough to keep contact while the coach was bouncing around. So I went back to normal alkaline AA’s (Duracell) and those problems are gone. I thought I could avoid swapping batteries every year but no such luck.

They include a new door strike but the OEM strike is basically identical and it looked like the door frame was built around the door strike so I kept the old one. I had to adjust the strike position a bit but is works fine (well as well as any RV door works - let’s say it works as well as the original did)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2CD3F1F5-C637-43C5-A246-BC6522813307.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	18395  
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:44 PM   #7

State: Montana
THOR #15796
Quote:
Originally Posted by K6NCX View Post
Well, it finally happened to us, too. The entry door lock on our 2016 Thor ACE 30.1 broke a couple of days ago, locking us out. It took $290 to get a locksmith from 75 miles away to get in. Now I have to get a replacement assembly.

I’ve seen numerous posts from people who replaced it with the same (supposedly improved) Attwood model, an unspecified Bauer model, or an unspecified RV Locks model. Some say it fit perfectly, some say they had to modify either the lock assembly or the door to make it fit.

Can anybody who has successfully replaced the assembly without having to modify anything tell me exactly what they bought? If I have a choice, I’ll probably get a unit which allows keyless entry, but either way I’d line to know what will fit and work.

I think I would rather avoid buying another Attwood, because they let the problem go on with their locks for so long. The failures are well documented going back at least to 2012, and I believe a lot further. But still, if you installed and Attwood, and you’re happy with it, please share the details.
I have a 2016 Thor Ace 30.1 and the door lock plunger broke, locking everyone out except me. I took the back off from the inside and used pliers to pull the plunger away from the door jamb and got the door opened. After hearing that the lock was defective using the pot metal plunger, I called Trimark. They now have a new lock, the 60-1650 with a steel plunger. I ordered it today. 800-431-8616. It costs $138+. The 30.1 Ace uses the 29412 13 version.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:12 AM   #8
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post

Ours did not "break" (yet) however, we travel with dogs and I didnt want the chance of us being on the outside and the pups being stuck on the inside....

We found the exact replacement of the lock, but instead of the ZINC parts, this one used STEEL. (you can use a magnet to verify)

Lock is much more "secure" feeling than the OEM, and you basically only replace the workings so no cosmetic issues on the replacement.

We found ours on EBAY from a person in "ELKHARDT, INDIANA" (gee who would think that the home city of RVs would have rv lock parts)
Hi Mike !
Do you have more information regarding who you ordered from on eBay? We are in the same situation...the lock on our 2016 Axis is getting cranky...if Ron continues to keep the screws tight and lubes the parts with silicone...we seem to be fine...but we sure do not want it to fail when KC is home alone inside !!
I looked on eBay and found many lock replacements but nothing that appeared to be the correct item for our RV.

Thank YOU ! Kay and Ron
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:14 AM   #9
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeythecat View Post
I have a 2016 Thor Ace 30.1 and the door lock plunger broke, locking everyone out except me. I took the back off from the inside and used pliers to pull the plunger away from the door jamb and got the door opened. After hearing that the lock was defective using the pot metal plunger, I called Trimark. They now have a new lock, the 60-1650 with a steel plunger. I ordered it today. 800-431-8616. It costs $138+. The 30.1 Ace uses the 29412 13 version.

Hi...please report back to all of us, when you receive and install the new locking mech.

Thanks Ron
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 07-02-2019, 12:32 AM   #10

THOR #15796
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Hi...please report back to all of us, when you receive and install the new locking mech.

Thanks Ron
Will do!
Old 07-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
Mine broke on the road, at a gas station. Two days before mine broke we had a rv'er next to us who's broke as well.

I got the updated model with the steel striker directly from Trimark. I was on the road so I didn't want to futz with another brand that might require some rework (which would be easy at home but not 2000 miles away).

It works fine. Why they used zinc potmetal for the striker when it seems to only save $5 is beyond me.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:48 PM   #12

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by apr67 View Post
Mine broke on the road, at a gas station. Two days before mine broke we had a rv'er next to us who's broke as well.

I got the updated model with the steel striker directly from Trimark. I was on the road so I didn't want to futz with another brand that might require some rework (which would be easy at home but not 2000 miles away).

It works fine. Why they used zinc potmetal for the striker when it seems to only save $5 is beyond me.

Same story while in Rapid City, SD, last year, we were locked in but with the able assistance of nearby campers, got the door opened. The local RV dealer had the updated Trimark lock in stock so, as in your case being far from home, I bought the new one with the steel striker or plunger and spent about 20 minutes installing it and went in our way. Silicone spray lube is frequently used.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:35 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #4687
Quote:
Hi Mike !
Do you have more information regarding who you ordered from on eBay? We are in the same situation...the lock on our 2016 Axis is getting cranky...if Ron continues to keep the screws tight and lubes the parts with silicone...we seem to be fine...but we sure do not want it to fail when KC is home alone inside !!
I looked on eBay and found many lock replacements but nothing that appeared to be the correct item for our RV.

Thank YOU ! Kay and Ron
The person that we ordered from doesn't show they have one for sale now (we bought ours in 03/2018) the item was listed as: RV Motorhome Entry Door Lock Dead Bolt 060-0650 TriMark 060-1650 Steel Plunger.

We paid 149.00 for ours, but someone in this thread I think paid 138.00 for theirs from TRIMARK...

First thing I did when ours arrived was do the "magnet" test to make sure the plunger was really steel...

It "looks" like the old one, that's why I wanted to test...
Old 07-05-2019, 10:11 PM   #14

THOR #15796
Quote:

Thanks Ron
Just replaced the lock with a 60 1650 from Trimark. Called Trimark Monday Jul 1, got it Jul 5. Fit like a glove, works like a charm, with steel plunger! Only comes with lock mechanism. Need to use old inside plate with lock levers and all 5 screws. Also comes with 2 keys for each lock.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:11 AM   #15
vkb

THOR #3510
Thanks for the additional information....I DID find the Trimark locks on Amazon today...both the lock and the double lock with deacbolt.. (exactly like what is on our Axis )

If interested go to Amazon and enter Trimark RV deadbolt lock.

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 12-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #16

Model: ACE 29.4
THOR #9328
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0954.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	21768Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0955.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	21769
Old 12-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #17

Model: ACE 29.4
THOR #9328
Quote:
Originally Posted by B7smith View Post

Just installed the RVLOCK Class A/C keyless entry (with FOB) on our 2017 Thor ACE 29.4. 15 minute removal and install. No modifications necessary. Works great!
Old 12-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #18

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
If you have an issue with a Trimark lock...just call their CS...they very politely sent me a free replacement in 4 days (2 year old MH)...didn't even ask for the old one back. They know they had issues with some of them and they stand behind them very well..unless you start the conversation off with a blast of s**t.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:33 PM   #19

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
THOR #17109
Quote:
Originally Posted by B7smith View Post
I have a 2016 ACE 30.2. Did you have any issues with the RV Lock and the screen door. I am thinking of ordering a refurbished one for my rig.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:02 AM   #20

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post

Repair parts are polished stainless steel.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote