Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2017, 10:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #6026
Replacing seats in a thor fe22

We bought replacement seats so we can have more comfortable trips.
We both have the heated leather with double armrest. The driver has over base with message and lumbar. The passenger is a swivel so I can use it as extra seating in the living area.
My husband used 1/4 steel plate to put my seat back 3in. And toward the center 3in. Now I have more leg room and I can turn toward the back and put my feet up while we go on long trips.
The driver seat will go back 3 in. And 1 in. Toward the center.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170226_164357.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	4069Click image for larger version

Name:	20170226_164310.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	4070Click image for larger version

Name:	20170226_163302.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	4071

Old 02-11-2018, 02:05 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #10702
drivers leg room

We were just about to put an order in for a Four winds 24f when I decided to sit in the drivers seat. The leg room is so short that my knees hit the bottom of the dash. I am over 6 feet and I have had this problem is some subcompact cars but never a truck. I have driven lots of full sized pick up trucks and there was always lots of leg room. The salesman knew about this and admitted it was a problem, but it could not offer a solution. I can't believe that I am the only person to have this problem. There is no way I could drive this unit on any long trip. I like your solution. How did you get the idea and what all was involved?
Thanks.
Fred
Old 02-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #3

THOR #6026
We bought the 22fe to have a traveling bathroom, and to have a place to stay when spending time with my brother in MS, as he was in the last few months of his life.
The first trip, was a nightmare and we regretted buying. It shook, rattled, and almost made us deaf from the doghouse noise. I was literally crying, thinking we made such a huge mistake. We were spent our 1st week parked in my brothers yard, dry camping. The dinette was horrible and way too small for plus size people like us. We were going to take it back and trade in for something larger, but the trade in was only 45k, so that was out of the question.
We designed and built houses together, and my husband had tools for welding, carpentry, and auto mech. So we looked to see what we could do. We scoured this forum and found so many useful things to try.
I had to 3d print a new sofa design to replace the dinette, before my husband would consider remodeling.
We pulled out the dinette and discovered we had a lot more space behind the driver seat. We ordered heated leather seats with swivel passenger and massage as our Christmas gifts. We doubled up insulation strips on the doghouse, which took care of the noise and heat. I can't remember what we used but it is in an old post.
We added a 3 in. Topper on the bed, plus additional storage components.
So now, we love our RV and can't wait to travel in it.
We joined DVC so we could have resort rooms for under 75 a night, but we still prefer staying in the RV. We use the rooms for our son and his wife and we stay at wilderness rv campgrounds.
We have stayed in KOA campgrounds in Lafayette, Pidgeon Forge, GA., Alabama, and Williamsburg. We plan on going to grand canyon soon.
As a plus for the RV, the day we returned from my husband's surgery, a snow storm caused a power outage for our whole area. We walked in the back yard, cranked up the RV, watched t.v., slept, made coffee, took showers, and had a great time. I think that kept him from getting depressed and sped up his healing.[emoji41]
Old 04-02-2019, 12:38 AM   #4

State: South Carolina
THOR #10673
Love this approach!

Where did you get the swivel seat?
Old 04-02-2019, 12:43 AM   #5

THOR #6026
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyoung1115 View Post
Where did you get the swivel seat?
We bought them for seats4cars?
My husband built a base that let us move the seat back 3 in. And over to the center so the seat with arms would revolve without a problem.
On my old posts we have lots of photos. If you live close to Raleigh, come see us. RhondaMyersArt@gmail.com
Old 04-02-2019, 12:58 AM   #6

THOR #6026
The sofa cushions are made from a king size mattress topper cut and doubled. I bought wedge cushions for the back and cut them down. We built a storage unit against the wall with 8 cup holders along the back. It is extremely comfortable. I sleep on the sofa during most of the trip, but it is also a very comfortable bed when I want sleep separate. I like to stay up late and sleep late. The 3 in. Mattress topper is perfect for the bed. It all folds up for travel. I can sleep or sit in the back when we travel with family.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:13 PM   #7

State: Indiana
THOR #17637
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhondaMyers.com View Post
My husband built a base that let us move the seat back 3 in. And over to the center so the seat with arms would revolve without a problem.
On my old posts we have lots of photos. If you live close to Raleigh, come see us. RhondaMyersArt@gmail.com
We just bought a used 2016 used Freedom Elite FE. I knew I wanted to change out the seats. I was hoping I could just find a seat out of another Ford model and it would just bolt in. So far I haven't found a seat that works. After paying so much for a Motor Home, you would think having premium seats would just make sense. Can you provide the model number of the seats you bought. I see they now have retired the Ford E450 series from their main inventory list, but still are supporting some elements on the Ford E series. Also how did you modify the Dinette so that the driver seat had more space. If you have already posted these, would you please provide your links. Thanks for taking the time to post you modifications.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:26 PM   #8

THOR #6026
I think I if you look at my profile it has all of my posts. It was easy to remove the dinette. Then my husband cut the drawer back and made a plywood platform to hold cushion. We doubled a king size 4" mattress topper and cut it to fit the l shape we wanted. A twin mattress would also work, but we wanted back storage and more floor space.
Now his seat slides back further and makes driving easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmoon View Post
We just bought a used 2016 used Freedom Elite FE. I knew I wanted to change out the seats. I was hoping I could just find a seat out of another Ford model and it would just bolt in. So far I haven't found a seat that works. After paying so much for a Motor Home, you would think having premium seats would just make sense. Can you provide the model number of the seats you bought. I see they now have retired the Ford E450 series from their main inventory list, but still are supporting some elements on the Ford E series. Also how did you modify the Dinette so that the driver seat had more space. If you have already posted these, would you please provide your links. Thanks for taking the time to post you modifications.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:28 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhondaMyers.com View Post
I don't see any captains chairs at seats4cars.com. Are you sure it wasn't http://shop4seats.com?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:05 AM   #10

THOR #6026
It could be. I can never can remember every thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I don't see any captains chairs at seats4cars.com. Are you sure it wasn't http://shop4seats.com?