Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2017, 03:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Mirramar 34.2
State: Saskatchewan
THOR #6138
Residential fridge

I have a residential ridge in my 2015 Miramar. Shouldn't it switch over to battery power when I pull the plug. I was talking to a friend with a fifth wheel and his does. I want to also. Is there a fix?

Old 02-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by fchabotski View Post
I have a residential ridge in my 2015 Miramar. Shouldn't it switch over to battery power when I pull the plug. I was talking to a friend with a fifth wheel and his does. I want to also. Is there a fix?
The inverter does not automatically turn on when power is disconnected. The residential fridge does not switch to anything on its own. It will run off battery power if you turn the inverter on.

The fix would be to install a true Power Management System that will start the generator or turn on the inverter when shore power is disconnected.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
two options:

- always leave the inverter on, EVEN when on shore power or generator, it does not hurt anything to have it on. When you do unplug from shore power, or turn your generator off, the inverter then will continue to power the fridge...

- if you have a Magnum ME-RC remote panel, you can change the inverter to SEARCH mode, with a setting of 5amps, which will trigger the inverter to always come on if a 5amp power draw is needed, which is the case for a residential fridge. So, in essence, the inverter is OFF until the fridge compressor comes on, then the inverter comes ON to provide the power to it, then goes back off when the fridge compressor turns off.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:26 AM   #4

THOR #6138
I am pretty sure I don't have an inverter. Would it be a big job to install. I would have both fridges and 2 bedroom plugs on if possible
Old 03-06-2017, 10:46 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by fchabotski View Post
I am pretty sure I don't have an inverter. Would it be a big job to install. I would have both fridges and 2 bedroom plugs on if possible
Your Miramar should have an inverter and the residential fridge should be plugged into that circuit.

If you have a cabinet above the entry door look in there for the remote panel for the inverter as well as the switch for the Auto Gen Start.

The inverter itself will probably be mounted to the ceiling of a storage compartment close to the batteries.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:24 PM   #6

THOR #4735
if you have a residential fridge, then you HAVE an inverter...

typically, Thor installs a Magnum inverter in the bay after the batteries, and a remote Magnum panel within the coach, usually above the door where the other switches are.

Press the INVERTER button so that it comes on. The green light should stay lit, and when you are not on Shore Power, it should then read 'Inverting' and give you the current status of the Battery Voltage, ranging from 13.5 down to 12 or lower... but if it goes less than 11.5 or so, you may not be able to crank the generator, which cranks from the House/Coach battery bank...

This panel also allows you to set your AGS(autoGeneratorStart) when you are not on shore power, and your batteries are getting low. Set the 'Voltage' to 12.0, 'RunTime' to 30min or 1hour, and set to 'Enable'. You can also change 'Type' to 'Other' so that if you turn off the generator on your own, it will not defeat the settings, allowing it to continue monitoring your battery levels...

also press the CHARGER button so that anytime the generator is on it will charge the batteries, and also it will do this when on Shore Power.

you also should have use of most of your regular outlets when the Inverter is inverting, but you may have some that are not...

per your brochure:
• Cummins Onan® RV QG
5500 Gas Generator
Automatic Generator Start
• 50-amp Service with
Shoreline Power Cord
1800-watt Inverter
• Dual Auxiliary House Batteries

enjoy! : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Is there consensus on what "residential refrigerator" means?

Some industry ads refer to any refrigerator that uses a compressor in lieu of heat (whether propane or electric) for cooling as residential. Sometimes it seems that general discussions like this use "residential" to mean a refrigerator that was designed specifically for installation in a home.

Now we are starting to see residential refrigerators that are specifically designed for an RV. And some are not comparable to what we would buy for our house. It's starting to get a little confusing.

I ask only because some residential-type refrigerators will soon run on direct current from batteries, which is something we wouldn't see in a residence unless it's a solar home. In smaller sizes I guess DC fridges are already in use.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:18 PM   #8

THOR #4735
there are some 12v 'coolers' on the market, but the residential fridge, by definition in the RV world, mean it only runs on 120v, like any home fridge - thereby needing at least two 6v batteries and an inverter.

like an air conditioner, a residential fridge has a compressor, which is what draws the most power and why it needs 120v power, though not at the same rate an air conditioner does - the fridge only runs when it needs to, not constantly, and the inverter and batteries can handle it.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:07 AM   #9

THOR #6138
Thanks for all the info guys. You are right I do have an inverter. I just didn't have the switch on. All works great now. Thanks again.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:34 AM   #10

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
State: California
THOR #14761
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
if you have a residential fridge, then you HAVE an inverter...

typically, Thor installs a Magnum inverter in the bay after the batteries, and a remote Magnum panel within the coach, usually above the door where the other switches are.

Press the INVERTER button so that it comes on. The green light should stay lit, and when you are not on Shore Power, it should then read 'Inverting' and give you the current status of the Battery Voltage, ranging from 13.5 down to 12 or lower... but if it goes less than 11.5 or so, you may not be able to crank the generator, which cranks from the House/Coach battery bank...

This panel also allows you to set your AGS(autoGeneratorStart) when you are not on shore power, and your batteries are getting low. Set the 'Voltage' to 12.0, 'RunTime' to 30min or 1hour, and set to 'Enable'. You can also change 'Type' to 'Other' so that if you turn off the generator on your own, it will not defeat the settings, allowing it to continue monitoring your battery levels...

also press the CHARGER button so that anytime the generator is on it will charge the batteries, and also it will do this when on Shore Power.

you also should have use of most of your regular outlets when the Inverter is inverting, but you may have some that are not...

per your brochure:
• Cummins Onan® RV QG
5500 Gas Generator
Automatic Generator Start
• 50-amp Service with
Shoreline Power Cord
1800-watt Inverter
• Dual Auxiliary House Batteries

enjoy! : )
What a great read and really helpS me with my understanding of how an inverter works for a Thor Miramar
Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
SANDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote