Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2017, 04:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
Trip planning

I will be starting on my first extended trip in my Axis on August 1. I will be departing from Mississippi and plan to visit all the NP in Utah! I know it will still be pretty hot in Utah in August so I plan to spend some time in Colorado before heading to Utah in September!
I know I want to visit Santa Fe and Taos, NM, before heading north to Great Sand Dunes NP in Colorado.
From there I'm an open book! I would love some suggestions for "must see" places to visit in Colorado. My only requirement is that I get to Utah around the first of September!
Thanks

Old 06-30-2017, 05:33 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
We got detoured through the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP a few years ago, and can't wait to get back when we have time to camp there.

Mesa Verde and Rocky Mountain National Parks are interesting places to visit also. As you can probably tell I'm partial to national parks.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:48 PM   #3

THOR #6203
I'm partial to the NP as well and its my goal to see as many as I possibly can while I can!
Old 06-30-2017, 07:02 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
just wrapped up a trip to Grand Canyon. After the canyon we looped up to Page AZ, then over to monument valley, four corners, Mesa Verde, Durango CO, then Santa Fe before turning back East.

I used raodtrippers.com to map out potential routes and look for points of interest.

Page was nice for horseshoe bend and a good slot canyon hike. Stayed at Wahweap CG. It's a NP Recreation Area. Very nice park. Got in with our NP pass, and then went to the CG to ask even though the ranger at the gate said they were full....ended up staying for 2 nights. Really nice place.

Monument Valley was neat, glad we did it since the kids will see that place for years to come pictured in all sorts of add, films, etc.... and can say we've been there....but otherwise I'd probably skip it.

Ditto four corners monument.

Durango was a neat little town....really great train museum there that's a lot more than just trains...and it was free! Would have loved to do the narrow gauge train ride there but it was expensive for all 5 of us + we were a bit tight on time. I will say that Durango is not overly RV friendly though. We found parking free after 5PM at the bus station so we could walk around town....but learned that the city has pushed walmart and similar to sign something about not letting RV's to overnight.

Mesa Verde was definitely worth a visit, although the dry campground there is a little run down

Sadly we only just barely nipped the edge of Utah so I can't be of much help there.

Oh, Santa Fe...we only did an evening stop for dinner and a walk-about. parked at the visitor info center, but I imagine during the day it might be tight to get in there.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:12 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I forgot to mention that the Durango-Silverton train ride is spectacular if you have time and it's in budget. Just be aware it's not for those who don't like heights.

Stop at Silverton is neat before heading back. A nice place to eat lunch in old western settings.

If train isn't possible, a drive to Silverton may be worth it.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:19 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
well, maybe good that we didn't do the train then. I had my fill of triggering my acrophobia at horseshoe bend and a little at mesa verde
Old 06-30-2017, 09:11 PM   #7

THOR #6203
Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm taking notes so keep the idea coming!