Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2017, 01:48 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Roadside Assistance question

I was wondering if roadside assistance would be a good idea, and if so, who does everyone use?

I thought our insurance had some service like this, but just towing and car rental is provided.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:04 AM   #2

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
I always shied away from extra roadside service because when we were full time our new F350 had it automatically from Ford. But now I going to be under the gun because my "bumper to bumper" warranty period will be over on my 2014 Challenger this May.

I certainly don't want to be without it because I suspect the price of a tow for a large RV would be very expensive. I also welcome ideas from others.

My extended warranty will reimburse for towing but only if it turns out to be a covered repair. I have towing on my RV insurance but that probably would only apply to towing as a result of accidents.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:22 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I have Good Sam's but have never used it. It makes me feel better just knowing I've got it.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #5437
I have Good Sam Roadside Asst. and have used it maybe 4 times over 7 years. I would not leave home without it, a great piece of mind.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #5

Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
I have it as part of my insurance. Also, don't forget that if your coach is new, there is a 5-year, 50,000 roadside assistance program through Ford. I just had to use it several weeks ago while on a trip, and Ford paid for towing the motorhome.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:36 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I added the RV to my AAA roadside plan. Never used it but it is there if needed.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #7

THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
I have it as part of my insurance. Also, don't forget that if your coach is new, there is a 5-year, 50,000 roadside assistance program through Ford. I just had to use it several weeks ago while on a trip, and Ford paid for towing the motorhome.
Doc, I thought my F350 was either 5-year/50,000 or longer on the roadside assistance also, and maybe it was. However, the card in my wallet for my current Challenger (F53 Ford chassis) states it is for the "bumper-to-bumper" warranty period. I'm going to have to dig our my books and double check this.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:38 PM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
I had AAA for many (many) years... but their rates per driver, and limited to 100 miles towing got me to change... I figure I could easily be more than 100 miles from a service center that could handle my RV. (I think they offered 200 mile as an 'uplift' for even more $$.)

Had an issue with Coachnet and my membership - and the new fee after a lapse is ridiculous - so likely going to switch to Good Sams before next trip.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:18 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
We got our money's worth back out of Good Sam last year. Two tows to RV shops for electrical failures. They sent good people who knew where we needed to go. I especially appreciate the very first question the phone center operator asked. "Are you in a safe place?" Luckily we were but who knows about next time. We had been AAA members for many years but when we started talking to them after we got our MH, it was clear they did not have the experienced resources for RV problems. A tow to Joe Smith Ford would not have helped.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 04-04-2017, 11:17 PM   #10

THOR #4687
So do the AXIS/VEGAS on the 450 chassis also have the 5 year 50,000 roadside from Ford?
Old 04-05-2017, 12:13 AM   #11

THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Doc, I thought my F350 was either 5-year/50,000 or longer on the roadside assistance also, and maybe it was. However, the card in my wallet for my current Challenger (F53 Ford chassis) states it is for the "bumper-to-bumper" warranty period. I'm going to have to dig our my books and double check this.
I'm headed out on a trip in the motorhome tomorrow and will try to remember to pull out the warranty card to see exactly what it says.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:11 AM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Ford's website says 2007 and newer roadside is 5 years or 60,000 miles. There is some fine print which reads:

"If you are out of warranty coverage but need Roadside Assistance for your vehicle, you can use your credit card to pay a one-time fee for the service you need."
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:56 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
I have it through my insurance. I call them if I need help and they dispatch a service vehicle.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:41 AM   #14

THOR #6277
I just checked my Ford manual for the motorhome. It is, indeed, 5 years / 60,000 miles.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #15

State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Coach-Net vs Good Sam's?

I find myself having three roadside assistance plans and need to decide which way to go also. I have coverage thru my insurance, an existing Coach-Net membership and now, as part of purchasing my Vegas thru Camping World, a one year coverage from Good Sam's.

I'll definitely cancel the insurance coverage, at least until the Good Sam's expires. I have had Coach-Net whenever I've owned an RV and been happy with the service they offer. Many years ago my Allegro Bus had to be towed and Coach-Net was great to deal with. It didn't cost me anything and I had no claims hassles to deal with. I'm hoping that I'll never have to use Good Sam's but if I do, I'm hoping they will be as easy as Coach-Net to deal with.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 35C
THOR #3761
I am now at the end of our one year Coach-Net plan that came with our new RV purchase in April of last year and have also been shopping around. I have AAA, Good Sam and Coach-Net and now see that FMCA also offers a roadside assistance plan. Coach-Net is the most expensive of them to renew at $279 for the premium. FMCA is $109 per year and Good Sam is $118 for returning members. I have had mixed luck with Good Sam with our old coach - when we had a flat, we called them but they could only direct us to the nearest shop and couldn't send a tow or a repairman. We haven't had to call Coach-Net but I would imagine they are all using the same providers in many geographical areas as there can't be THAT many of them. I am just not sure that Coach-Net is worth the extra money if there isn't someone close by to handle the call. With AAA, I was able to get a repair truck on an RV that wasn't even mine before I owned one. AAA has always seemed to be the best option since it is their reputation that keeps them going.

Sorry, seems like I am rambling on... but anyway, we would like to hear from everyone as to any good or bad reviews you may have on any of these roadside assistance providers. And for those who have it through their insurance, how do you feel about that?
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #17

State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
I've heard many stories on other RV boards about problems with roadside assistance programs from AAA and insurance companies. Most of them stem from the fact that these programs typically are used by, and therefore are designed for, owners of passenger vehicles. The result of this is that when an RV owners needs assistance the responding service provider shows up with a tow truck or lift capability that is suitable for an SUV but not an RV.

On the other hand, Coach-Net and Good Sam's only contract with service providers (presumably) who have the capability to handle big rigs.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:47 PM   #18

THOR #5246
I have Good Sam's RV insurance (National General). I will have to have them specifically tell me that by having "towing" on my insurance policy that it would cover a tow for a blow out. I am sure it covers towing for a crash, but I'm just not convinced it would cover for flat tires.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:15 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 35C
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
On the other hand, Coach-Net and Good Sam's only contract with service providers (presumably) who have the capability to handle big rigs.
I have been reading a lot of stories as well. It looks like the new FMCA plan is also geared towards Class A owners, so as an FMCA member I may explore that path.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #20

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I like what Good Sam has to offer and it seems reasonable for what is available.