Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Texas
THOR #8252
RV insurance

I just got an add from Good Sam in the mail on RV insurance. When we got our RV (1st for us) we just added it to our Progressive auto. Was this a bad thing? Is dedicated RV insurance better or is this just a sales pitch?

Old 10-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Sales pitch although they do offer some competitive rates and allow discounts when you are keeping the RV in storage. We ended up switching to Progressive when we started full timing as they had a better and less expensive plan for the same coverage.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:35 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
In our experience, sales pitch. Compare apples to apples, coverage to coverage. We've had AARP The Hartford for three years. No problems and have had 3 glass claims. Painless and the lowest cost by several hundreds $s
Old 10-09-2017, 11:14 PM   #4

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
I went through the dealer and had Allied (Nationwide) for several years with no problems. Rates were competitive. Now have changed to Progressive and pay a few dollars a year more but am back with my agent who left State Farm a few years ago. 5 Vehicles, full coverage, $250 a month.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:10 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Texas
THOR #8252
Thank you all for your responses. We will stick with Progressive.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #6

State: California
THOR #9022
I don't think Progressive is available in Canada. Anyone have ideas? We are with Wawanesa at the moment and for house car and motorhome paying over $300/mo
Old 10-18-2017, 11:31 PM   #7

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Progressive seems to be one of the few major insurance companies that will insure RV's, boats, etc. I have it on both my boat and RV. My auto insurance co., Mercury, doesn't insure anything but cars and light trucks. From my experience, they are competitive in their rates and, in the cars of our RV, they are about $15 per year cheaper than Good Sam. I've unfortunately had a couple of claims on our RV's over they years and Progressive has always paid what they were supposed to pay. No complaints from me.
All the above said, on a personal note, I don't like Progressive's president's politics...he is a left-wing liberal and huge Democrap supporter.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:52 AM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
When we bought our Class A in 2007, the dealer recommended an agency in Arizona that specializes in RV insurance. They have beaten every competitor repeatedly. Overland Insurance Services is a family owned and run independent agency, meaning they offer several companies. The number is 800-677-4027.

Do yourself a favor and ask them for a quote. You don't have to wait for renewal, as companies are required to refund unearned premium.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #9

Model: FourWinds SK 35
State: Virginia
THOR #4706
Has anyone considered what some of the insurance companies are offering in the form of replacement if totaled with newer in first 2years of equal value and is it worth it
Old 10-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas M View Post
Has anyone considered what some of the insurance companies are offering in the form of replacement if totaled with newer in first 2years of equal value and is it worth it
We do have full replacement value in our insurance quote as we are full timing. It would be worth it if ever needed.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas M View Post
Ours is with State Farm, our agent pulled up several ads to determine full replacement value. Even went with them for an auto loan, less per month and included GAP at no extra cost. Don't know if the same deal is available.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:36 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
39 years in the business...

Pick an Agent who knows about RVs...
Companies that specialize in RV insurance have spent a lot of time learning how to offer the right package of insurance for these types of vehicles.
DON'T buy based solely upon price!!!!!
If you have a problem: I'll guarantee you that you'll find out how expensive, "cheap" really is!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:57 PM   #13

Model: Magellan
THOR #6001
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Ours is with State Farm, our agent pulled up several ads to determine full replacement value. Even went with them for an auto loan, less per month and included GAP at no extra cost. Don't know if the same deal is available.
Our 5 vehicles & home ins is with Allstate, 1 car, 1 truck, 2 motorcycles, RV all with full coverage and home ins is 3,900 for the year for all.

I have been doing like i always do every year or so and see whats out there. I just got a quote from State Farm for $5,400 ouch! State Farm was $300 less for the MH but waaay more for everything else. Guess I'm staying put with allstate, waiting on a MH quote from overland ins. co as per suggested by mr sunshine.
bruce1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:24 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Don't purchase insurance solely based upon price. If the claims servicing isn't any good: what have you really saved?
Old 10-19-2017, 11:10 PM   #15

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Didn't mean to give the impression that the cheapest is best. The coverage I have from the agency mentioned has both the full replacement cost (for the first 5 years, then original cost coverage) and disappearing deductible. That means that each year you renew, the deductible goes down a bit.

I have deep insurance background, too, 30 years. Must agree with Bob, my humble opinions says that some of the most well known companies (and agencies) are often not your best choice.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:12 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Five years worth of replacement cost coverage is AWESOME!
A disappearing deductible works well on private passenger vehicles, but it's probably unnecessary on a motorhome. If you sustain collision damage: it's probably not going to be just a tiny little dent...
Unless you "broke the bank" when you bought the rig: a $500 or $1000 collision deductible (Or even more!), is probably a smart way to go!
Old 10-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #17

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
I have been with State Farm for 30+ years. When we purchased RV, we just had them add it to our current policy. Two cars and RV full coverage (500 deductible) is $198. Now, I did answer an add from Good Sam and got a quote of 399. for the RV alone. They did offer 3000 for contents of RV and several other things. Guess I am just comfortable with State Farm after so many years.
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #18

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’ve had State Farm for my insurance for more than 45 years. Still do for my home, cars and umbrella. But after discussing my RV with them I covered it with Progressive Insurance. Cost a little bit more but includes full replacement coverage that State Farm said they couldn’t do.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
These are the things that the Specialty Companies can do; that the Family Auto policies can't...
Old 10-20-2017, 05:15 PM   #20

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
RV Insurance

We were with Progressive for 15 years with our previous motorhome. When we bought the Freedom Elite in 2015, Camping World offered a "deal" if we went with Good Sam. I checked it out and it was a little less expensive than Progressive for the same coverage so we went with Good Sam's insurance. This past spring due to mail theft at our home address, I asked Good Sam to change the mailing address on our policy to a post office box for security reasons. They charged me $55 for this change! When I tried to talk to them, they said the zip code was different which caused a change in premium. I informed the rep that I was not going to be parking the RV anywhere different, after all it would not fit in a post office box. They refused to reverse the charges. I called Progressive and their rates were almost exactly the same for the same coverage. I switched and I am not likely to go back to Good Sam. I thought that was very poor customer service to charge for a mailing address change that did not affect the garaging address at all. I always vote with my feet!