Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2016, 04:47 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNK View Post
I'm a new owner of a RV. We will be visiting family over Thanksgiving. I purchased a "dog bone" to go from the RV (30 amp) to residential service. Having an extension cord appropriate for this use, what other concerns should I have while getting electric from a residence?
...the number of AMPS you have available to use. 15a would be typical, but some breakers might be as much as 20a. if you are not using your a/c unit, or high power devices like heaters, you should be o.k. for lights, tvs, etc.

what you want to know also is where is the breaker for the outlet - if you overload the circuit and the breaker inside the house or garage trips, and you have no access to it, then you just lost all power.

one idea is to use an extension cord that has it's OWN 15a breaker. When you overload it, you can easily reset it yourself, and not run the risk of overloading the outlet breaker.

TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:10 PM   #62
KNK

Model: Ace
State: Virginia
THOR #5877
The Turners,

Great idea and thanks for sharing. I'll pick up a cord with it's own breaker.

KNK
Old 11-22-2016, 07:26 PM   #63

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I have always carried a set of adapters for 50, 30, and 20 amp service just in case. You never know what you will run in to or where you will be! I also carry a 12 gauge 50' extension cord so I can have juice if I'm parked at someone's house.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:49 PM   #64

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I have always carried a set of adapters for 50, 30, and 20 amp service just in case. You never know what you will run in to or where you will be! I also carry a 12 gauge 50' extension cord so I can have juice if I'm parked at someone's house.
Good idea. I also carry a generator cord adaptor so I can hook my two 30 amp cords together in a campground or hook my RV up to a marine shore power pedestal.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:40 AM   #65

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Yep, got the generator cord too! Forgot I even had it, have only used it once. When the house electricity went out for a day I used the generator to keep the fridge going. I carry all my electrical adapters in a chepo ammo box I got from Harbor Freight, keeps everything together in one place.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:49 AM   #66

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
I'm a noob to RVing. We just got our MH this summer. Have had a lot of coaching from experienced friends and reading here, etc. One thing I reaad is that someone recommended getting a 50 to 30 amp dogbone on one of the threads. Not that you will run into sites that are only 50 amp, but you could find that is all that is available if the pedestal is shared for some reason and only the 50 is available.

Well, we do not have that many trips under our belts yet, but this year already, I found that I needed my 50-30 amp dogbone. While plugging into the 30 amp outlet, there was some arcing in the breaker. I quickly unplugged it. Pulled out the 50 amp dogbone and plugged in the coach to the 50 amp service.

So it is good to have these things.

I see a generator cord mentioned. Do the generators typically plug in? I thought (assumed) mine was hard-wired. Any thoughts on that? Will have to look at the coach net time I go up there. It is in storage for winter now.

John
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:31 AM   #67

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRanger View Post
I'm a noob to RVing. We just got our MH this summer. Have had a lot of coaching from experienced friends and reading here, etc. One thing I reaad is that someone recommended getting a 50 to 30 amp dogbone on one of the threads. Not that you will run into sites that are only 50 amp, but you could find that is all that is available if the pedestal is shared for some reason and only the 50 is available.

Well, we do not have that many trips under our belts yet, but this year already, I found that I needed my 50-30 amp dogbone. While plugging into the 30 amp outlet, there was some arcing in the breaker. I quickly unplugged it. Pulled out the 50 amp dogbone and plugged in the coach to the 50 amp service.

So it is good to have these things.

I see a generator cord mentioned. Do the generators typically plug in? I thought (assumed) mine was hard-wired. Any thoughts on that? Will have to look at the coach net time I go up there. It is in storage for winter now.

John
External generators and marine shore power have a different plug than RV shore power. In the marine version the 30 amp male and female ends fit together. In the RV shore power cords, they do not. That means that you cannot join two RV 30 amp cords together if one is too short to reach. The generator adapter allows you to join two RV cords together. It also allows you to hook your 30 amp RV cord to a marine shore power pedestal or an external generator. The generator in you RV is hard wired and does not require a cord. I have 30 amp marine power on my dock for my boat. Using the generator adapter cord, I can hook my 50 ', 30 amp marine power cord to my 25' RV cord and supply 30 amp power to my RV - 76' away.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:34 PM   #68

State: Colorado
THOR #7264
Where did you get those grey side window covers? & I assume you hook up to 50 amp?