Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2018, 03:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Challenger 37 YT
State: Kentucky
THOR #8995
RV Remote Temp Monitor

Looking for a remote temperature monitor for RV with pet staying inside. Want to know temperature gets too hot for animal or cold for pipes freezing. Does anyone have any suggestions for monitors or experience with Tempstick?

Old 08-14-2018, 04:54 PM   #2

THOR #8995
Monitor

If anyone has purchased a monitor what was the source and cost. Thanks
Old 08-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #3
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEroad View Post
Looking for a remote temperature monitor for RV with pet staying inside. Want to know temperature gets too hot for animal or cold for pipes freezing. Does anyone have any suggestions for monitors or experience with Tempstick?
I put a Arlo go camera in my coach for $10.00 a month. The camera will detect motion and sound, which can be turned off and on. I bought a large thermometer in Walmart and put it in view of the camera. Now I have security and temp monitoring. I can take the thermometer off and on.

kev
Old 08-14-2018, 05:04 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
There has been some discussion about this in the past:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f28...ors-11627.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...mber-8776.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
When your pets are left inside, I imagine you are either plugged into shore power, with your Air Conditioners set 'on', or you have your AGS(auto gen starter) set to start your generator if the temp gets too high, right?
Old 08-14-2018, 11:00 PM   #6

THOR #8995
Temp Monitor

It could be with just the generator running, but most often it will be on shore power with the auto generator start set on temp and low voltage. We want to be sure Peanut is okay as he already has traveled over 50,000 miles. In fact Peanut (rat terrier) is the reason we own an RV so he can travel with us. In the event of a high temperature alarm we could return ASAP.

The camera idea is also interesting.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:55 AM   #7

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
TempStick works well. No issues.

Quote:
I use TempStick for my two pooches and it works well. We keep a WiFi hotspot ln the RV, as TempStick works over WiFi. See my earlier posts in the threads referred to by JamieGeek. I'm always worried about power failures and generators or AC units cutting out; with TempStick I can receive alerts and get back to rescue the pups before they overheat. It would work equally well to provide alerts for low/freezing temps.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:55 AM   #8

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I put a Arlo go camera in my coach for $10.00 a month. The camera will detect motion and sound, which can be turned off and on. I bought a large thermometer in Walmart and put it in view of the camera. Now I have security and temp monitoring. I can take the thermometer off and on.

kev
Arlo go camera in my coach for $10.00 a month?
Can you expound a bit?
What is an Arlo camera and how does it play into the money deal? Who gets the $10.00 and why? Yes. I'm ignorant about this.
Thanks.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:13 AM   #9

THOR #8995
Remote Temp

It seems the Arlo camera and the Tempstick must use WIFI to communicate remotely. If that is the case then it would be essential to have a WIFI established in the campground. Is that correct or am I missing something? I am willing to purchase either but need to feel somewhat confident it will work. WIFI in campgrounds has been somewhat of a hit or miss with us.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:12 AM   #10
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Kid View Post
Arlo go camera in my coach for $10.00 a month?
Can you expound a bit?
What is an Arlo camera and how does it play into the money deal? Who gets the $10.00 and why? Yes. I'm ignorant about this.
Thanks.
Added to my Verizon phone plan. Verizon gets money.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #11
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
It seems the Arlo camera and the Tempstick must use WIFI to communicate remotely. If that is the case then it would be essential to have a WIFI established in the campground. Is that correct or am I missing something? I am willing to purchase either but need to feel somewhat confident it will work. WIFI in campgrounds has been somewhat of a hit or miss with us.
No you are not correct. Arlo Go uses same cellular towers as your cell phone it does not use WiFi. Thats why I went with the Arlo Go since I don't have WiFi when the RV is in storage.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We're also looking for a system...
Do you have to link to where we can get some info about these Arlo Go setups?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:55 PM   #13

Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
THOR #10499
We use Nimble Pet Monitor. It works off its own cellular signal, so no Wifi required. We, along with several of our friends, use this and we are all extremely happy with it. At one point it had lost connection, and their support was great. Had it back up and running in a few minutes. You can set the temperature alarm parameters (hot & cold). Also, my favorite feature, is to have an alarm when it is on battery so that we know the power is off and the air conditioning will not run. We do have the AGS set to start on temperature and battery level also.
DanChateau33SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #14
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We're also looking for a system...
Do you have to link to where we can get some info about these Arlo Go setups?
Amazon sells them.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Amazon... Thanks!
Old 08-17-2018, 02:58 AM   #16

THOR #8995
Monitor

From the suggestion on the other pet post I just ordered the Canary that has a remote camera and temp alarms without a subscription and it only cost about $100. Will post how it works out.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #17

Model: 26HE
State: Alabama
THOR #12744
I went with a cheap Zmodo camera that I had sitting in the closet during our first summer trip. Stuck a digital thermostat on the dining table and checked on them every hour. I have a Samsung tablet with a data connection that we leave in the RV. Everything is connected to a mini travel router I got off of Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I recently installed a Samsung Smartthings Home Monitoring System in my house. It comes with a hub, two door sensors, motion sensor and a smart outlet. I'm actually considering installing another one in the RV. All of the sensors also monitor the temperature. It can alert you when the temps reach a certain point. Plus it's a security system. The system cost around $150.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:15 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
What about a simple temperature and humidity monitor from RV PetSafety?
Old 10-29-2019, 07:24 PM   #19

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I too use the Tempstick. No monthly subscription necessary, and it works great. I generally use the hot spot on our note pad for wifi for it.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:58 PM   #20

State: Mississippi
THOR #24459
I love this Nimble Temperature Sensor! First, I had trouble setting monitor up, but tech support helped me with that. It has a built-in 4G cellular network that allows me to keep track of temperature and humidity within my rigs in real-time. The product’s built-in rechargeable battery was another intriguing attribute. I was pleased to see this inclusion because it’ll ensure the device remains usable even during power outages. As for its notification process, this cellular pet monitor will send out alerts via text and email whenever the temperature rises or drops below predetermined limits.