Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2017, 04:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
rvdirect

I've been searching the web for the best price for the Thor Axis 25.2 and so far rvDirect has beaten every quote thus far.
Have any of you dealt with rvDirect? If so what was your experience? What about getting warranty service after your purchase? I'm considering ordering a new one so that I get the coach I want.
Basically any information you could share would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Old 01-05-2017, 04:58 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Don't know anything about Rvdirect but I do know from all the information on this forum that the dealer you buy from is very important even if you pay more. The RV industry has zero quality control and service and warranty work will probably have to be done so make sure you research their service department, it is vital if you want to enjoy your RV. I'm sure other people will respond and happy travels
Old 01-05-2017, 05:11 PM   #3

THOR #6203
The problem I have is that the closest dealers are 2 1/2 hours away and they can't come close to meeting the price I'm getting from rvDirect.
I agree I would be willing to pay a little more for that convenience and relationship.Yet the two dealerships that I've contacted just aren't that willing to negotiate. In fact there is a $7000 dollar difference between the two dealerships.
This is totally new to me. My first MH and possibly looking at my first out of state purchase of a vehicle. It's a bit overwhelming!
Old 01-05-2017, 05:34 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Since you have to buy from out of state have you looked at Total Value RV? (Total Value RV | Indiana's #1 Class A Motorhome Dealer | Campers and Trailers For Sale | Elkhart, IN near Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, South Bend, Evansville, Carmel, IN, and Chicago, IL) since they are right next to the factories the bulk of the initial driving will be done by you (provided you can go there and pick it up).

If I remember correctly (from others who've purchased there and posted here) they let you spend a night at the dealer to work out the kinks.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:44 PM   #5

THOR #6203
I will definitely check them out! I've mostly been talking to RVOne. I would have to have it delivered to one of their locations. ( not 100% sure about that as I've never asked)
Thanks
Old 01-05-2017, 06:24 PM   #6

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Oregon
THOR #5953
I thought about going out of state too, but when it came right down to it I ended up getting a pretty decent price from my local dealer, and they have been great taking care of issues during and after PDI. Just don't be afraid to give them a low offer and see where things go.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:01 PM   #7

THOR #6203
I would prefer to buy locally but the two dealers closest to medon't appear to be interested in negotiating!
The only dealership in my state has almost but not quite implied that I'm lying about the quote I got from rvDirct!
I really can't understand how there can be such a difference in price but I assume it has to do with the volume rvDirect sells compared to the local dealerships!
Old 01-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #8

THOR #5953
This is true, and in your case I would strongly consider getting the best price. You'll need to consider the total cost, including plane fare and everything that goes along with making a one-way trip to the dealer. Make sure you get the total price from the dealer too, since sometimes they like to charge extra for the setup. Then when you arrive you should probably insist on staying at least 2 nights in the home after the PDI to insure all the kinks have been worked out, and even then there are some things that will be impossible to know until you drive and use it a few times. After the PDI we found a leak that needs to be taken care of and a whistle above 50 MPH, to name a couple things. I've heard stories of folks that have done this and been very happy buying remotely and the opposite as well. Just know your options are limited from the dealer once you leave the lot.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:38 PM   #9

THOR #6203
Ok I'm getting a little concerned about the quote I've gotten from rvDirect or rvOne to be exact! So far their quote is anywhere from $6000 to $10000 less than from other sources!
I've been very careful to make certain I'm comparing apples to apples but that seems like a huge price range! The local dealer told me there was no way that could be legit!
Could he be right? How can I make certain that I'm not being scammed?
Old 01-05-2017, 08:50 PM   #10

THOR #5953
I never tried rvdirect, but when I was talking to mhsrv.com I asked them to provide me with the exact amount, to the penny, that I would need to bring a check for, including all fees and licensing, which they were happy to provide. Be sure it applies to the exact model and year you're looking at, and be sure to ask what the mileage is and be sure it is NEW. If you don't get a straight answer, I'd go elsewhere.

Another tactic you may want to try is to get the quote in writing from rvdirect and then go back to your dealer. What worked for me was a quote from CW in the next state over. We couldn't get them to budge until we came back with that. The local CW dealer admitted there was no way he could compete with "Internet prices". Then another local dealer was ready to play ball once they knew the local CW would meet that price. Funny how it works. We eventually went with the dealer that would not budge on price originally. It can also help a lot of you purchase in the off season (which you are) and bid on a new 2016 unit they want to get off the lot. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2017, 09:50 PM   #11

THOR #6203
My local dealer sent me this e-mail -
""Better yet if you find a new 2017 axis 25.2 for a better price than we offer we will price match it. ""
I sent him a copy of the quote I got from rvDirect and guess what??? I haven't heard a word from him since!
There should be some way for me to hold him to that offer!
Old 01-05-2017, 10:39 PM   #12

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
for your first 'major' purchase, if that's your case, I would suggest not going too far away from your home base. The reason is that you don't yet know all of the systems and processes for the coach you may be purchasing, and your dealer is a good source for that help, and the needed warranty work that will certainly be a part of your first year of usage, if not within the first month of use.
while the lower pricing is alluring, as others have said, you may well find that the travel cost, time away from home, travel back home in your new coach, and problems along the way back may be what actually 'overwhelms' you. Plus, if financing, an initial higher price is spread out over the many months of payments and is probably easier to swallow than the certain bulk of out-of-pocket costs associated with travel to an out-of-state dealer.
your local dealer will also be more apt to keep your warranty and repair issues front-of-line versus other folks who did not purchase from them.

now, having said all that: We DID NOT purchase local. Our first Blackwood fifth wheel and Dodge Ram truck deal was purchased used 300 miles away. When then traded that setup in AlvaradoTX at MHSRV for a new Georgetown ClassA, which was 800 miles away. We then tranded at MHSRV again for our current coach, the Palazzo diesel 33.3.
But, we are full timers, living in our coach and traveling. We did not see the need for a 'local' dealer since we would not be in the same area for any length of time.
While we are full timers, we have never had an issue having any dealer, Camping World mainly, turn us away or delay us for any warranty issues or repairs. Most of ours, though, has been with the factory service center in Wakarusa, IN, which is a long 'drive', but when you're traveling full time it's just part of the journey.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:06 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #5875
We have a 2017 Axis 25.2 ordered and to be delivered this month at RVONE in NY, their price was at least 7000 less that the next closest quote we were able to get and was even less than any show pricing we saw. We ordered with all accessories except the oven.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:16 PM   #14

THOR #6203
Upnyfolks thanks for sharing that. I feel much better now knowing I'm not being scammed!
TurnerFam everything you say makes perfect sense! But I can't see paying $7000 to $10000 more for the benefits mentioned.
What chaps me is the statement the salesman made about matching the price if I got a lower quote.
Well I did get a lower quote and now he's ignoring me altogether! Doesn't seem right!
If my local dealer doesn't have any more integrity than that I'm not sure they can be counted on to provide me with good service anyway!
Old 01-05-2017, 11:35 PM   #15

THOR #5953
Perhaps, but it may still be worthwhile to make a call directly and ask whether the quote was received and if it can be matched as promised. I wouldn't be beyond asking to talk to the GM if you get the runaround. If you do go elsewhere, just know that you will have problems with your unit down the road, since with all the systems and complexity they are not like buying cars. Granted, you should still be able to find a reputable dealer to perform warranty work, but you may have to wait your turn in line.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:17 AM   #16

THOR #6203
JustJohn I plan to do that tomorrow! It's worth a try. If nothing else I want them to know that they shouldn't make a statement like that if they don't intend to honor it.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:21 AM   #17

THOR #6203
Upnyfolks when do you expect to receive delivery? They told me it would be 8- 12 weeks!
Old 01-06-2017, 12:31 AM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
One thing to factor into the cost is one or two return visits to the selling dealer for warranty service. Your local dealer will probably tell you "no purchase, no service, get lost".

You might want to include in your research locating the closest dealer that will service a unit they did not sell and then research the quality of their service department. You could very easily spend more on service than you save on initial cost.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:39 AM   #19

THOR #6203
dstankov good advice. I'll check on that as well!
Old 01-06-2017, 01:02 AM   #20

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #5875
sforl,
We ordered in October and asked for a March delivery (didn't want to be making payments on the RV while it sat unused all winter) but the Thor rep said they couldn't guarantee the price to RVONE that far out so we chose to take delivery as soon as it was made and delivered to the dealer, and not risk a price increase. The salesman called me on Dec. 28th and said they would have it in 2 weeks from the new year.