Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2018, 02:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Safe T Steer or Roadmaster stabilizer

Considering installing a steering stabilizer on our 2016 Thor Hurricane 35C. Been doing some research and it appears both Safe T plus and Roadmaster offer the same benefits but the Roadmaster is considerably less expensive.

Does anyone have experience with both and any pros or cons.

2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:03 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I installed the Safe-T-Plus because it was what my truck shop recommended. I have complete confidence in them so I didn't consider anything else. I do not regret it.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:21 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
We installed a Safe-T-Plus. On the Roadmaster the spring is on the outside and Safe-T-Plus is enclosed. We felt the Safe-T-Plus was a better unit. Very happy with it.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Our ACE came with the Roadmaster installed and it works great.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:51 PM   #5
Max

THOR #6984
What year? We have 2017 and had to install. Ours didn't have one. Also got front end aligned. Thing still swerves when wind or semis?? Ugh
Old 04-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #6

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
What year? We have 2017 and had to install. Ours didn't have one. Also got front end aligned. Thing still swerves when wind or semis?? Ugh
What rig do you have? I have 22FE Class C. Had SafeTPlus installed and made no difference in driving control. Having a Trac Bar put on tomorrow and will post if any improvements. Next mod. Airlift air bags when I can afford it. With all the weight put on these stripped Ford Chassis, and no suspension mods, guess it's left up to the customer. Would have gladly paid more to have proper mods installed when built rather than have to chase down the right people to do it and probably would have been less expensive in long run.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:55 PM   #7
Max

THOR #6984
I totally agree. Bunch of crap. Taking advantage of people. You can tell I'm not happy!!
Old 04-03-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
Max

THOR #6984
Oh, we have Ace coach class A 30.1.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:22 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post
Considering installing a steering stabilizer on our 2016 Thor Hurricane 35C. Been doing some research and it appears both Safe T plus and Roadmaster offer the same benefits but the Roadmaster is considerably less expensive.

I installed the Roadmaster myself, pretty easy to do. The hardest part was adjusting it, but I took the wrench along on my test drive and did it in the Walmart parking lot. Only downside was that I left my wrench at Walmart!

Good luck with what ever you choose.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:13 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
I installed the Safe-T-Plus (blue) on my Hurricane 34E. It made steering more stable and helped with drift. It also helped a little with passing Semi's. It seems to be a quality product. It was a good choice for me.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:59 AM   #11

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post

Yes, I've had both ...

RSS was easy to adjust center quickly. Dampening a bit less than STP though this might be good as it allows at least some road feel to transmit to the driver.

STP had heavy dampening that isolates almost all road feel from the steering wheel (driver). It is more likely to mask/hide other chassis problems.

Both have center bias and since I travel mostly secondary surfaces that constantly change optimal centering needs, my choice favors non-center biased stabilizers. FWIW... there are other options seriously ... stop, ignore social media posts and think about it ... they're just shock absorbers between the frame and link arm!
Old 04-04-2018, 04:15 AM   #12

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
FWIW... there are other options seriously ... stop, ignore social media posts and think about it ... they're just shock absorbers between the frame and link arm!
That's what I thinking as well. What other options should we evaluate?
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:42 AM   #13

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
That's what I thinking as well. What other options should we evaluate?
This isn't something new... Trucks have been wheel'n down the road for quite some time so take your pick ... Bilstein, Fox, Monro, Rancho, Moog, etc... stabilizers are not a new technology like RV marketing might make some think.

Basically it's just picking the valving characteristic you want in a shock dimension that fits your rig ... RSS/STP target the RV market and make this easy. Their center bias is actually nice for freeway travel. Certainly either is a great choice if center bias tickles your fancy.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:49 AM   #14

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Our Challenger handles fairly well but we installed a Roadmaster stabilizer after watching the horrific results of a front tire blowout. The objective was to help us stay safe in the event of a blowout. That event showed up for us Dec 27, 2017. Traveling down I-65 at about 67 MPH, we suddenly had a complete blowout of our passenger side front tire. I was able to steer us to the shoulder of the road without any further issues. The coach stayed absolutely under control.

I was later asked if I was sure it was the stabilizer that made the difference. Nope - I am not. I just know that I was under control the entire time. And the biggest problem I faced was getting a new tire. (Note: I have a TPMS installed and received no advanced notice of the blowout.)

As the only driver of our coach, I am responsible for the safety for all souls on board in this type of situation. (Note: We often have 5 grand children - that we love dearly - on board.) Would NOT leave home without the stabilizer.

I cannot say whether the stabilizer will help with normal handling but I darn sure can tell you (based on our experience) that it is well worth the $350 for emergency handling.

Take a look here at our report back on this situation: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...els-10539.html