Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2018, 11:11 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
Max, I have three I'm not using - one from my bedroom, recently suspended the service on because I don't usually watch TV in the bedroom. Saving $7.00 monthly fee. For the other two - one goes in my grand daughter's bedroom and it's suspended because she seldom stays here anymore. The other one was in my ex-wife's sewing room. Obviously she's not using it now! All three are on a suspended service. When I get ready to go camping for the summer I set up the Winegard in my front yard, run my cables and hook up two of the receivers (since HD doesn't work on the road, it stays home) I have to contact DirecTV to reinstate the service which takes just a few minutes but there's no extra cost. If you have 2 receivers you're not using, hopefully you're not paying the monthly fee?

Old 04-03-2018, 11:16 PM   #22
Max

State: Florida
THOR #6984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappydude View Post
Max, I have three I'm not using - one from my bedroom, recently suspended the service on because I don't usually watch TV in the bedroom. Saving $7.00 monthly fee. For the other two - one goes in my grand daughter's bedroom and it's suspended because she seldom stays here anymore. The other one was in my ex-wife's sewing room. Obviously she's not using it now! All three are on a suspended service. When I get ready to go camping for the summer I set up the Winegard in my front yard, run my cables and hook up two of the receivers (since HD doesn't work on the road, it stays home) I have to contact DirecTV to reinstate the service which takes just a few minutes but there's no extra cost. If you have 2 receivers you're not using, hopefully you're not paying the monthly fee?
Unfortunately I am. One is outside TV and we use sometimes. The other in my granddaughters playroom, and they aren't here very often. Ugh. What to do....
Old 04-03-2018, 11:38 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
So using a receiver from home works? Because I have 3 at home and barely use but 1.
Yes, you can bring the ones from home - if they are the correct ones. As mentioned, you're only going to get standard definition picture using one of the portable setups (e.g., Winegard G2+), then then you either need a receiver such as the DirecTV H24 receiver (which receives both HD and SD), or if you use an H25 receiver, you're going to need some additional setup and equipment (i.e., DirecTV SWM8, power inserter, splitter).

When I had my motorhome, I had the Winegard Trav'ler DirecTV dish permanently mounted on the roof, and received HD programming. I recently went back to a travel trailer, and bought the Winegard G2+ portable dish. I use the DirecTV H24 receiver with it, and am very satisfied with the standard definition picture. I often camp in places that are a bit secluded and my previous rooftop setup often left me without a clear view of the southwest sky, and couldn't get a satellite signal. Now, with the portable dish I have some flexibility in dish placement. I have experimented with up to 100 feet of good satellite cable, and still get a very good picture from the dish. The tradeoff, of course, is that I no longer get high definition broadcasts.

Hope this information helps!
Old 04-03-2018, 11:46 PM   #24
Max

THOR #6984
I'm getting more confused. I thought the satellite only picks up SD. Is that why you are saying we should need other equipment if it is H25? Sorry, is this as complicated as I am feeling?
Old 04-04-2018, 12:04 AM   #25

THOR #6277
Quote:
I'm getting more confused. I thought the satellite only picks up SD. Is that why you are saying we should need other equipment if it is H25? Sorry, is this as complicated as I am feeling?
Yes, that's what I'm saying. I just went through this last month - I used the H25 receivers with my HD Winegard Trav'ler dish. When I got the Winegard G2+ portable, I had to buy a refurbished H24 receiver in order to avoid installing that SWM8 kit referenced in my earlier post. The H25 receiver is what's called a SWM-only technology receiver, and to use it with a Winegard mobile dish, you need to install a SWM-840 SWM kit. Here is link to more information about the whole topic:

DIRECTV in your RV! Winegard Mobile DIRECTV Sales

The good news for me is that the H24 receiver will also receive HD programming when it is hooked up to my home SWM dish. In other words, the H24 is capable of receiving both HD and SD programming, depending on the satellite dish you are using. Clear as mud?

Believe me, I'm no expert on this, but I tried to keep my setup as simple as possible. That's why I took the path of least resistance and bought the H24 receiver, which is directly compatible with the Winegard portable dish. Sorry to add to the confusion, but I just wanted to let you know all of the facts before you decide on which setup to go with.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:07 AM   #26
Max

THOR #6984
Getting clearer! Lol what's SWM?
Old 04-04-2018, 12:07 AM   #27

THOR #10729
Quote:
Don't be! Winegard is a totaly different system. If you are going with the king system, it's very easy. You may not be able to use the receiver from home. But when you buy the system I'm sure they will walk you through the receiver you need and you can check to see what you have at home.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:11 AM   #28

THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlspur1221 View Post
Don't be! Winegard is a totaly different system. If you are going with the king system, it's very easy. You may not be able to use the receiver from home. But when you buy the system I'm sure they will walk you through the receiver you need and you can check to see what you have at home.
Agreed - don't be confused. We're both saying the same thing. If you get the right DirecTV receiver, both the Winegard and King Quest setups are very simple. I do know that the H25 receiver will not directly work with either setup. Here's a direct quote from King Quest:

"DIRECTV:
DIRECTV H & HR receivers under 25 (Example: H24) are compatible with the KING Quest, as well as D10, D11 and D12 receivers.
Not compatible with SWM-only receivers (such as model H25 and HR25)
"
Here's a link to King Quest: https://kingconnect.com/support/receivers/
Old 04-04-2018, 12:11 AM   #29

THOR #10729
Quote:
Getting clearer! Lol what's SWM?
Swm is basically a multi port switch for the satellite. It spilts the signaland amplifies it so you can watch it on multiple TV's.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:38 AM   #30

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
DirecTV switched to the single wire multiplex system (SWM) in 2010. All current receivers and DVRs with numbers 25 and above are SWM only. The reason for SWM is one coax cable can carry up to 22 different channels. DirecTV also migrated all English channels to the 101 degree sats (4 total in the galaxy) for standard TV and to the 99 and 103 galaxies for high definition.
Currently UTV (4K) comes down on the 103 sat in the reverse band. I use a portable Slinline dish with a 3D2RB LNB. I use a SatLooklite meter to align the dish. Since the meter powers the LNB setup only takes a couple minutes. I carry five 60ft lengths of RG-6 coax to get out from under the trees. I subscribe to distance network service (DNS) so I do not have to reprogram the DVR (HR-54) for trips. I carry a couple C-41W clients so no problems with coax to the three TVs. DirecTV upgraded my system in the house 4 years ago free of charge. I just specified the equipment I wanted. I have been carrying a portable dish around since 1999 in my RV.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote