Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
See if anyone thinks this is a useful idea

I am.thinking it might be good to have voltage readouts on the dash of our VEGAS one for the chassis batteries and the other for the coach batteries

I thought before I tackled it I would see if anyone else thought it would be useful, or if it was a completely lame idea.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Good idea. I went as far as buying a digital gauge on Amazon but have not installed it yet. Probably start with the chassis battery since the inverter display in my coach displays house battery voltage.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you have a Cigarette Lighter plug on the dash something like this can plug in there for only $6 and measure the voltage. Granted that is only 1 system, but it does get you 1/2 way there.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:33 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Also a good idea but I need both 12 volt outlets, had to add a second as only came with one at the dash, one for TPMS and one for GPS. I could add another 12 volt at the dash for this plug in meter.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:08 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I'm not sure I would personally find it all that useful. This is one area where I think the little KIB light panel is somewhat useful....the little 1/3, 2/3 lights that show the battery and tank levels. Just a quick dirt simple way to tell if the house battery is nearly full or not. For the chassis battery.... in 35 years of driving I've never really found that I need to know the exact voltage to the single digit or tenth....

well you know, as I type this and think it through a bit more, I'm almost inclined to change my answer. A simple dual display might have helped me to see that my BIRD relay had failed before the dead house battery clued me into it.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:52 PM   #6

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
If you have a Cigarette Lighter plug on the dash something like this can plug in there for only $6 and measure the voltage. Granted that is only 1 system, but it does get you 1/2 way there.
Good idea, already got one with USB ports. But, was thinking that having both chassis and coach indicators on the dash might be handy.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:56 PM   #7

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I'm not sure I would personally find it all that useful. This is one area where I think the little KIB light panel is somewhat useful....the little 1/3, 2/3 lights that show the battery and tank levels. Just a quick dirt simple way to tell if the house battery is nearly full or not. For the chassis battery.... in 35 years of driving I've never really found that I need to know the exact voltage to the single digit or tenth....

well you know, as I type this and think it through a bit more, I'm almost inclined to change my answer. A simple dual display might have helped me to see that my BIRD relay had failed before the dead house battery clued me into it.
That's kind of the reason I was thinking about it. It would be nice to make sure that everything is charging and not getting below voltage so I could start the Genny if I needed to before it was too late
Old 09-05-2017, 12:01 AM   #8

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Voltage

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Hughe...-p/dvm1221.htm

I plugged one of these in next to the door of our Axis. I like to know how things are going. It notes that voltage under 108 could cause harm to the AC unit.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:06 AM   #9

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Hughe...-p/dvm1221.htm

I plugged one of these in next to the door of our Axis. I like to know how things are going. It notes that voltage under 108 could cause harm to the AC unit.
Great idea. I had been concentrating on the 12v hadn't thought too much about the 120V
Old 09-05-2017, 12:22 AM   #10

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
The dash area is a great location to observe coach battery level. Never felt the need for chassis battery gauge.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:30 AM   #11

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
The dash area is a great location to observe coach battery level. Never felt the need for chassis battery gauge.
Nice setup..
Old 09-06-2017, 04:45 AM   #12

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post

Quit worrying about it. You can't monitor everything. Soon it will be all you do is worry about too many things. Just relax and enjoy.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #13

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
I wish I would have had this on my house battery it is on store and it still dies every time I go to start the generator. Have had to jump it twice. Dealer said it's not the battery it said even though you have a use store battery switch we still need to install a complete disconnect. What could be drawing on this house battery? Any thoughts would be appreciated. It's a 2017 Thor chateau
Old 09-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I've got a coach battery display neatly tucked-in by the doorsteps.
I'm not sure if one for the chassis is completely necessary...
But it might be nice!
I can bring the coach batteries in to help with starting chores, so I guess that there's a pretty good "Plan B" already set up.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #15

THOR #7425
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamperjan View Post
I wish I would have had this on my house battery it is on store and it still dies every time I go to start the generator. Have had to jump it twice. Dealer said it's not the battery it said even though you have a use store battery switch we still need to install a complete disconnect. What could be drawing on this house battery? Any thoughts would be appreciated. It's a 2017 Thor chateau

Make sure storage switch in store & ALL basement lights are off, etc.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #16

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I've got a coach battery display neatly tucked-in by the doorsteps.
I'm not sure if one for the chassis is completely necessary...
But it might be nice!
I can bring the coach batteries in to help with starting chores, so I guess that there's a pretty good "Plan B" already set up.
Your CO/LP monitor is always on, radios with clocks, any illuminated light switches. The only sure way is to disconnect batteries.
Also as previously stated, I don't need more monitors to have to be concerned about, there's enough to keep up with now.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I didn't know that... Thanks!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:07 PM   #18

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
Also a good idea but I need both 12 volt outlets, had to add a second as only came with one at the dash, one for TPMS and one for GPS. I could add another 12 volt at the dash for this plug in meter.
I installed a 1->3 socket extender on the engine cover with velcro. (I also have two desk organizer boxes on either side). The bonus is that the 12V plug also has a USB charger in it.. So now I have 4 plugs up front.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:43 PM   #19

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
This looks great- will pick one up. I am correct in the assumption that the 12v at the dash are run by the coach batteries, correct?
Old 09-06-2017, 08:00 PM   #20

THOR #7430
I don't believe so. Thor Tech told me that the 12-volt on the desk are run off the truck battery and the engine had to be running