Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2017, 01:23 AM   #1

State: Arkansas
THOR #6538
"Seiki" TV and Satellite

Hooking up my dish tailgater to the RV connection I can't run a tv scan while running the satellite scan. I have to run the satillite cable through the window to the cable box then the HDMI to the TV.
Any suggestions?

Old 02-21-2017, 01:59 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 36TL
State: Georgia
THOR #5536
We have a Challenger TL and I added a coax jack on the outside of the coach close to the hdmi box. I run straight to the dish receiver and then to the hdmi box that sends to all TVs. You can't have any splitters between the dish receiver and the tailgater. Data has to flow both ways. I've heard of some people using an A/B switch, but it was much simpler just to add a dedicated jack.

Not sure that answers what you're asking.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:05 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Make sure the power to your "over the air" antenna is off. At the coax terminal plate there is an on/off button and a green light. This controls the over the air antenna's amplifier. The green light indicates the amplifier is on. You can not use the external antenna/cable coax if the over the air antenna's amplifier is on. With my DirectV setup, it was necessary to make a "home run" directly to the HR-44 DVR receiver taking the King Jack antenna and amplifier out of the circuit.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:22 AM   #4

THOR #6538
It does thanks
Old 02-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
With my DirectV setup, it was necessary to make a "home run" directly to the HR-44 DVR receiver taking the King Jack antenna and amplifier out of the circuit.
I had to do the same thing with my DirecTV Trav'ler setup.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #6

THOR #6538
I have a dish Tailgater Satellite not DirecTV but thank you for all the comments. I have to run TV coax the satellite directly to the Wally and then the HDMI into the TV and it's working I guess you cannot split the signal I'll have to put a dedicated coax plug in my unit
Old 02-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3027
Axis defrost

When running into rain storm with temperature change needed to quickly use defrost from AC. Would not clear windshield and had to pull off road. Seemed to do better with defrost and floor setting than on defrost only. Any tips? Should air be off? Circulate outside air rather than inside air? Don't switch too fast? Thanks. Has happened twice.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:25 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Check the front vents: Are they aimed at the windshield?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:32 PM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3027
Thank Jamie. Just checked. Vents seemed OK. Ps meant to make this a separate thread. Should temperature control make a difference in defrosting?
Old 02-21-2017, 08:10 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I've always thought you'd want heat to evaporate the condensation off the window (especially with my experiences in Michigan).

Then I drove an EV for 3 years that would eat up 1/2 its range when using heat. Turns out you can just blow air on the window, and as long as its humidity is lower than ambient, it will pull the frost off the window (which is why many cars turn on the A/C to pull the moisture out of the air). In my EV experience just cracking a window was enough to defrost the window (although a very frigid solution to the problem).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:15 PM   #11

THOR #4735
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitt View Post
Hooking up my dish tailgater to the RV connection I can't run a tv scan while running the satellite scan. I have to run the satillite cable through the window to the cable box then the HDMI to the TV.
Any suggestions?
what do you mean by 'I can't run a TV scan while running the SATELLITE scan'?

if you have your Receiver hooked up to your tv's COAX output, then running a SCAN as 'CABLE' should pick it up as Channel 3, where you can then see the satellite programming info.
if you have your Receiver hooked up to your tv's HDMI output, then you should use your 'INPUT' button on the remote to move it to HDMI1 or HDMI2 type, where you will then see the satellite programming info.

I would not think that hooking up your incoming coax from your Tailgater to your 'CABLE' input would NOT work - usually there are splitters behind walls and cabinets that make this problematic, since the Tailgater is Powered by the Receiver power thru the same coax cable. It's a two-way road.

It's best the run the coax cable DIRECTLY from the Tailgater to the Receiver. You can certainly do it thru a window for temporary means, or you can run TWO coax cables - #1 from the Receiver thru a roof plumbing vent, slide passthru, or existing wiring hole where it can then be connected, when parked, to coax #2 that comes from the Tailgater.
If you want to run coax for TWO tv Receivers(if you have the Tailgater2 with dual outputs), then it works the same... two from the receivers, to two from the Tailgater, which is what we do.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:18 AM   #12

THOR #6538
And that's what I'm doing running at through the window. Down the road I'll go ahead and put a direct connector from the outside to the inside of the motorhome so I can connected directly to the receiver from the satellite.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:19 AM   #13

THOR #6538
Thanks to all for your comments😉
Old 02-22-2017, 01:23 AM   #14

THOR #5536
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitt View Post
And that's what I'm doing running at through the window. Down the road I'll go ahead and put a direct connector from the outside to the inside of the motorhome so I can connected directly to the receiver from the satellite.

As a side bar.. If you want to keep running thru the window, Camping World and most other stores sell a flat coax piece to where you can shut the window. We use one at our fish camp trailer down in Louisiana and ran it thru the window and left it there as a permanent solution instead of drilling a hole. We also used one in our old toy hauler at first until I got to running a permanent jack to the outside.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:44 AM   #15

THOR #6538
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgold View Post
As a side bar.. If you want to keep running thru the window, Camping World and most other stores sell a flat coax piece to where you can shut the window. We use one at our fish camp trailer down in Louisiana and ran it thru the window and left it there as a permanent solution instead of drilling a hole. We also used one in our old toy hauler at first until I got to running a permanent jack to the outside.
I love it, thanks!
Old 02-22-2017, 03:02 AM   #16
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
It is good to see this conversation, as last week we purchased a Tailgater & Dual receiver ...
Looks like popular fix is to place a coax in wall of coach near the rest of the TV setup ? In doing so, I will, then attach incoming to receiver and outgoing signal to existing box, with coach antenna turned off, so signal will go to all TV's.
Correct ?
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #17

THOR #5536
"Seiki" TV and Satellite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
It is good to see this conversation, as last week we purchased a Tailgater & Dual receiver ...
Looks like popular fix is to place a coax in wall of coach near the rest of the TV setup ? In doing so, I will, then attach incoming to receiver and outgoing signal to existing box, with coach antenna turned off, so signal will go to all TV's.
Correct ?

Yes. That is the setup we have now. We drilled a hole directly outside of our slide behind the A/V cabinet. Ran straight into the dish receiver. Out of the receiver and into the switch box. Then out to all TVs.

For those without a switch box, they make wireless HDMI boxes than can wifi to all TVs.

We have also been able to use the powered air antenna while the dish is hooked up. So if you want to watch Dish on 1 or two TVs you can and watch locals thru the antenna on a different tv you can.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:49 AM   #18

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgold View Post
Yes. That is the setup we have now. We drilled a hole directly outside of our slide behind the A/V cabinet. Ran straight into the dish receiver. Out of the receiver and into the switch box. Then out to all TVs.

For those without a switch box, they make wireless HDMI boxes than can wifi to all TVs.

We have also been able to use the powered air antenna while the dish is hooked up. So if you want to watch Dish on 1 or two TVs you can and watch locals thru the antenna on a different tv you can.
Did something similar installed a matching coax box on outside that goes directly to the direct TV box than the HDMI cable into a splitter all 3 TVs were prewired for HDMI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Modd DTV.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	4034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Modd TV hook ups.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	4035  

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote