Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2017, 08:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34J
State: Florida
THOR #8707
Serious issue with 2017 Thor 34J

Purchased a new 17' Thor Windsport 34J in July and used for a week and has been in for service ever since. We took it on a local shakedown trip to Ft Wilderness and returned with list of issues. Many small but some serious issues. Roof leaks, Windshield leaks onto dash, Slide out leaks and the plumbing leaks on the outdoor kitchen causing cabinet damage.

After 7 week of being in the local dealer , Thor sent a rep to meet with me about my unit. The slide issue is bigger than just seals as originally thought. The full wall slide has buckled in the center almost 3/4" of an inch. The dealer has suggested all the cabinetry and the bunkhouse are to be removed so the slide can be taken out of the unit and repaired. Thor has approved after sending rep to confirm issues.

I have to question the quality of a unit with 300 miles on it and a week old with these kind of issues. The dealer has run a string under the bottom of the side to confirm the issue, i took pictures to confirm this 3/4" variation in the floor of the slide. They are expecting to see structural damage once the flooring is removed to the aluminum frame of the slide. Not sure where we will end up with this venture but it isn't what i had in mind for my family when we purchased.

My family has been without our new purchase for 7 weeks and it looks like we are in for a long ride with this mess. Really sad to see this as this is our first venture into the Rv world. I guess its true, they do not make things like they used too.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:09 PM   #2

Model: FourWinds SK 35
State: Virginia
THOR #4706
Maybe they should just write that unit off and set u up with another
Old 09-30-2017, 08:09 PM   #3

THOR #4706
I don't think that will happen wouldn't hurt to ask
Old 09-30-2017, 08:10 PM   #4

THOR #4706
A least pay your payments while in repair just some ideas
Old 09-30-2017, 08:29 PM   #5

THOR #8707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas M View Post
Maybe they should just write that unit off and set u up with another
That was my thoughts as well..........Didn't even get acknowledged when i brought it up.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:35 PM   #6

THOR #4706
Go figure
Old 09-30-2017, 08:44 PM   #7

THOR #8707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas M View Post
Go figure
Camping World did extend an offer.......They said they would take it in on a trade and put me in a 18' for only $100 more month Yeah , thats a deal
Old 10-01-2017, 02:50 AM   #8

THOR #4706
Yea I don't think I will ever buy any rv from CW again.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:04 AM   #9

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2632
That's for sure camping world is only worried about the sale and out the door
Old 10-01-2017, 09:28 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Some more so than others, apparently. I seem to be in a small minority on this forum but I’ve had no significant issues with my Freedom Elite or CW. I’d buy Thor again and I’d by from CW again.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #11

THOR #4706
I am glad they have happy campers
Old 10-01-2017, 09:51 PM   #12

THOR #8707
I was very happy at the time of purchase and the when my family spent a week in it, but it is tough to maintain that joy watching my newly purchased RV being disassembled after only 300 miles due to severe structural issues with the wall slide. No good way to spin that one.

My issue is with Thor quality and warranty but also with CW. It was dropped off on our appointment date and it did not even get looked at for 2 weeks. When CW sent a request to repair the slide issues, Thor responding with saying it only needed a shim kit and some rollers. That discussion last several week until Thor sent a rep in to see my unit and meet with me. Only then was it approved.

Latest update: Dealer submitted a request for 170 hours labor to remove and rebuild the slide. Thor approved but says the dealer will have it done by 10/8. That leaves me with more questions. Are they asking the dealer to shortcut the repair?? I will be stopping by daily to be sure that is not the case.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:50 PM   #13

THOR #4706
I hope all goes well
Old 10-01-2017, 11:24 PM   #14

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Good luck. Thor just continues to ignore my major issues. #ThorLacksIntegrity
Old 10-01-2017, 11:37 PM   #15

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
So thats very unfortunate. At very least have Thor run a cost figure, parts, labor and "down time" or the time the coach is unuseable. Then pose the question to Thor...is this repair (windshield leaks, roof leaks, plumbing leaks, slider issues and all that needs to be replaced realy worth the effort from the factory or would Thor take the unit and strip off the coach and just replace it? Chasis seems to be ok? CW solution? "BLOW" This is in Thor's court not anything to do with CW I would inform them they are not part of the solution.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:49 PM   #16

THOR #8707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
So thats very unfortunate. At very least have Thor run a cost figure, parts, labor and "down time" or the time the coach is unuseable. Then pose the question to Thor...is this repair (windshield leaks, roof leaks, plumbing leaks, slider issues and all that needs to be replaced realy worth the effort from the factory or would Thor take the unit and strip off the coach and just replace it? Chasis seems to be ok? CW solution? "BLOW" This is in Thor's court not anything to do with CW I would inform them they are not part of the solution.
I have asked about a replacement and it went unanswered. I have researched the FL lemon related to RV's and may have a case but that would be a LAST resort. Any time attorney's get involved it cost everyone else involved money. Hoping it wont come to that.

CW isn't the problem but did not provide good customer service by leaving my coach sit for 2 weeks before even getting eyes on it. The rest is with Thor. CW asked for 2 weeks to get approval but Thor was only offering limited approval and not all that CW was asking for. This changed when the Thor rep visited my CW and met with me.

I have missed 2 family outings due to being without an RV and am due to leave on 10/10 for Talladega Nascar race for the week. I have asked for assistance from Thor to make my trip or i will be out quite a bit of money. We will see what comes of this, but i feel VERY disappointed in how all this has been handled. It may be normal to some on here but with the $$$ i just spent, i thought i would get much better service than this.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:59 PM   #17

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
You experience is worse than mine but, to say the least, Thor definitely has quality control issues. And they have a crappy network of dealers. My unit left the factory with a bad inverter/charger and a bad TV antenna amplifier. Took my dealer and Thor 28 days to get the inverter/charger changed out and then they tried to give it back to me with 2 fried coach batteries. I told them I wasn't leaving without new batteries, which they begrudgingly installed. Now, we're waiting for a new antenna amp. Wondering what will go bad next. I'd never buy another Thor product and never deal with America Choice RV again either. Both are crap.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:02 AM   #18

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
I have done Lemmon Law on a vehicle in the past in NY State it's less painful than you think and no lawyers got involved. But putting it into perspective...for every product that has severe issues there are 100's and 1000's that don't. You won't hear of many of them on this website because, well no one seeks to "vent" about good things. That in no way makes your plight any less important or serious. As a "realist" someone has to "take one for the team" thats just life. We all just hope it isn't us. Any way this turns out, and time will tell, it can only work in your favor.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:33 AM   #19

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
I always advise folks to call Thor directly and be their own best advocate for repairs. Talk with Thor reps, understand the repairs, then track it all the way through the system with both Thor and CW. JMO.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:46 AM   #20
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreitas View Post
I have asked about a replacement and it went unanswered. I have researched the FL lemon related to RV's and may have a case but that would be a LAST resort. Any time attorney's get involved it cost everyone else involved money. Hoping it wont come to that.

CW isn't the problem but did not provide good customer service by leaving my coach sit for 2 weeks before even getting eyes on it. The rest is with Thor. CW asked for 2 weeks to get approval but Thor was only offering limited approval and not all that CW was asking for. This changed when the Thor rep visited my CW and met with me.

I have missed 2 family outings due to being without an RV and am due to leave on 10/10 for Talladega Nascar race for the week. I have asked for assistance from Thor to make my trip or i will be out quite a bit of money. We will see what comes of this, but i feel VERY disappointed in how all this has been handled. It may be normal to some on here but with the $$$ i just spent, i thought i would get much better service than this.

Sorry, FL lemon law does not cover the "house" issues:

Quote:
Certain parts or components of recreation vehicles are NOT COVERED under Florida’s Lemon Law. These are referred to in the law as the "living facilities," which are defined as portions of the vehicle designed, used or maintained primarily as living quarters, such as the flooring, plumbing system and fixtures, roof air conditioner, furnace, generator, electrical systems other than automotive circuits, the side entrance door, exterior components and windows other than the windshield and driver and front passenger windows.
Florida Attorney General - Recreation Vehicles
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote