Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2017, 03:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Georgia
THOR #6687
Seriously Bad Weather Concerns

In light of the news about tornadoes and bad storms in the Midwest, we are concerned about making a trip from Georgia to California and return, starting next week and lasting about a month.

Has anyone traveled tornado alley during this time period and experienced bad weather?

Would we be better to wait until Summer?

Thanks from a newbie.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:52 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37YT
THOR #6681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top2MP View Post
In light of the news about tornadoes and bad storms in the Midwest, we are concerned about making a trip from Georgia to California and return, starting next week and lasting about a month.

Has anyone traveled tornado alley during this time period and experienced bad weather?

Thanks from a newbie.

Just go and always keep close eye on weather. There's always weather concerns. Just enjoy.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
My thoughts: Keep an eye to the weather and if the day looks like it will be dicey stay put, or get out of the way.

We faced a similar situation returning to MI from FL one winter: Stopped to overnight, checked the weather and found out that about 3" of snow was forecast that evening so we kept going so we could get ahead of the snow.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:24 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top2MP View Post

Thanks from a newbie.
I agree with the other comments since your trip is planned to be "a month" long. Check the weather and travel accordingly. No season is without concerns but being aware will keep you safe. Have fun!
Old 03-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #5

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Go Interstate 10 not 40 and it will be fine. When we se bad weather especially in the Autumn and Spring we go southerly route.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:26 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37YT
THOR #6681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
Go Interstate 10 not 40 and it will be fine. When we se bad weather especially in the Autumn and Spring we go southerly route.

Stay out of mobile home parks you'll be fine [emoji4]
Old 03-29-2017, 07:29 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Not that long ago weather couldn't be accurately predicted much beyond the same day, and many of us who have been camping and or RVing for a while headed out anyway. For us the unknown was part of the excitement. Granted, greater information today often comes in handy, but also comes at a price.

I've never planned an RV trip around weather -- beyond seasonal general expectations anyway. And if I did I'd probably get it wrong. The only trip I've taken weather into account was to hike across the Grand Canyon, so I picked a dry month with moderate temperatures. With my luck a severe thunderstorm came through which also dropped temperatures a lot; but it also made special memories. In retrospect I would not trade our hike for a normal day.

I agree with others. Go, remain aware of weather daily, enjoy, and stay safe.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:42 PM   #8

Model: WINDSPORT
State: Texas
THOR #4417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
Make sure to check for road closures if you are going through any of I-10 in the Houston, Texas portion. They are working on sections of it into June
Old 03-29-2017, 09:38 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Elite 23h
State: Colorado
THOR #5933
We stayed at http://www.buffalobobsrvpark.net/ last night in Lawton, OK. Had a 9 hour sustained severe Thunderstorm along with Hail and Tornado warnings. Damn scary. Could barely hear my weather radio on maximum volume because of the rain noise on the roof. Take this into perspective...
Old 03-29-2017, 10:15 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds 22E
THOR #6687
Thanks to everyone for the good advice. We will pray about it and make a decision.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:45 PM   #11

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullewin View Post
We stayed at http://www.buffalobobsrvpark.net/ last night in Lawton, OK. Had a 9 hour sustained severe Thunderstorm along with Hail and Tornado warnings. Damn scary. Could barely hear my weather radio on maximum volume because of the rain noise on the roof. Take this into perspective...
Wow! Any damage to your rig. It generally takes golf ball size hail or wind driven hail to cause damage but I know it can be scary. That's the biggest fear of my wife. Just use some common sense and know God is in control.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:04 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Grew up in Tornado Alley, lived most of my life here, you learn to keep an eye on the weather! I've tried to explain what the weather can be like to other people, but kinda hard to do if they have never experienced it. Watch the weather channels and plan accordingly, take a detour and drive away from any bad weather, might take you to some interesting places. Take your trip as planned and enjoy!!!