Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2016, 10:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 22E
State: Colorado
THOR #5970
Seriously, Sirius?

I recently purchased a 2013 Chateau 22E with a Sirius ready Jensen radio. Has anyone figured out how to acquire Sirius or SiriusXM for under $50?
I ordered an antenna/tuner kit but it will only work on XM. The 8 pin connectors are not compatible. The recommended kit from Jensen is over $300.
It would make sense that there is an adapter for the connectors. I think one is 8 pin din and the other is an 8 pin din.

Hoping for some solution,
Sandy Sandoval,
Pagosa Springs,CO

Old 11-28-2016, 01:16 AM   #2

Model: Tuscany 38SQ
State: North Carolina
THOR #799
Not sure what tuner you need. If you let us know which one you need, maybe someone has it. Never hurts to ask.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:21 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you have the Jensen 215 you can use a SiriusXM All access account and your smartphone: Simply bluetooth the audio from the app to the radio.

Granted this will only work with cellular or WiFi coverage but it costs almost nothing (if you already have the SiriusXM account).

When I searched around for something similar I had discovered that most of the satellite modules that would plug in are discontinued. You may be better off simply replacing the radio with something better.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:48 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
This is what we've done, so we don't really have to deal with the radio & adding a receiver behind the dash.

Above the radio there's a docking station that we can move from one of our cars to the rig when we go camping. That way we can enjoy it all the time without having to keep two subscriptions.

Below the dash are two additional speakers we had installed. The roof-mounted ones were pitiful. They can be easily unplugged and moved out of the way if we need to get into the doghouse.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:05 AM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
We've had it in 3 vehicles, they kept going up on the price, reducing programming and moving the channels around so you had to hunt for the programming you liked. It didn't work in Alaska when we were there. When the free subscription on the Wrangler we just bought runs out it won't be renewed.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:50 AM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
THOR #3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
We've had it in 3 vehicles, they kept going up on the price, reducing programming and moving the channels around so you had to hunt for the programming you liked. It didn't work in Alaska when we were there. When the free subscription on the Wrangler we just bought runs out it won't be renewed.
If I were picking up a new subscription today I'd think twice about it. But back in 2008 XM offered a lifetime subscription for $400. I picked up two(!) for both cars. Since then I've sold the cars, but for a small transfer fee I've been able to keep the lifetime subscriptions. One of the best decisions I ever made. I really love satellite radio and can't imagine my cars -- or RV -- without it.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:32 AM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
The combination of the cost of the 'Jensen specified' addition.... the cost of the subscription for each unit.... and the 'portable option' - while viable for the RV really doesn't work well in the soft top Wrangler (and why should I have to move a portable unit when 2 of my 3 vehicles have the proper setup)... are why I don't have a subscription for the RV...

Do have one in the Wrangler for DW - with an every 5-6 month phone call that begins with "I'd like to cancel my subscription..." - and ends with a 5-6 month period for a one time $25 payment again...

As I tell them each time - if they offered a truly portable subscription (not cell phone app) - that I could use in any of my vehicles... I would buy the extra receiver AND pay the full price subscription... but I'm not carrying multiple subscriptions when I'm only in one vehicle at a time.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
The combination of the cost of the 'Jensen specified' addition.... the cost of the subscription for each unit.... and the 'portable option' - while viable for the RV really doesn't work well in the soft top Wrangler (and why should I have to move a portable unit when 2 of my 3 vehicles have the proper setup)... are why I don't have a subscription for the RV...

Do have one in the Wrangler for DW - with an every 5-6 month phone call that begins with "I'd like to cancel my subscription..." - and ends with a 5-6 month period for a one time $25 payment again...

As I tell them each time - if they offered a truly portable subscription (not cell phone app) - that I could use in any of my vehicles... I would buy the extra receiver AND pay the full price subscription... but I'm not carrying multiple subscriptions when I'm only in one vehicle at a time.
I do it the same way you do. I get a 5 -6 month subscription for the motorhome for those times that I know I will use the rig, and cancel it after wards. I don't need it for my car because it has digital radio possibility and I get enough stations I like for free.
If Sirius/XM would allow me to switch between my car and the motorhome, I might consider a full subscription.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:25 AM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedsmom View Post
This is what we've done, so we don't really have to deal with the radio & adding a receiver behind the dash.

Above the radio there's a docking station that we can move from one of our cars to the rig when we go camping. That way we can enjoy it all the time without having to keep two subscriptions.

Below the dash are two additional speakers we had installed. The roof-mounted ones were pitiful. They can be easily unplugged and moved out of the way if we need to get into the doghouse.
This is exactly what we have done (even put the portable in the same spot) And you can get a new one on eBay for under 25.00. Works great, and when I am not in the RV I use it in my office, since I am not ever in the RV and my office at the same time. Doesn't feel like I am wasting money, and I love satellite rsdio on the road.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:18 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
I bought an Onyx Plus with auto adapter and an extra home adapter. I use it in the office when the RV is parked. If you are a new subscriber they have two radios that are free right now. You can also get an extra auto adapter if that is what you need. I think I pay something like $15 a month but I use it five days a week.

https://shop.siriusxm.com/radios/
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:51 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
My car radio and my motorhome radio have Sirius receivers build in. I do not want to put another receiver unit on top of my dash (specifically not in my car) and I would not know where else I can put one of those things and still be able to operate them.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:34 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
No Satellite Radio for Me

At one time, I had Sirius/XM in three different vehicles...and the cost just got completely out of hand. Now I just bluetooth from my phone to the vehicle radio. I listen to Spotify for music, either of the links below for old time radio, and stream Fox, CNN, or ESPN from their websites. I just purchase a little extra data on my cell phone plan to cover streaming, but it is still a LOT cheaper than satellite.

There is just too much free content that can be streamed to buy it from Sirius/XM.

https://archive.org/details/oldtimeradio

OTR.Network Library (The Old Time Radio Network)
Old 12-30-2016, 05:00 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 22E
State: Colorado
THOR #5970
Thanks to you all.

I've determined to forget about the Sirius radio tuner for over $300. I can live without satellite radio and use CDs.
Here's my take on the radio.
When Sirius and XM merged, Jensen had a surplus of Sirius radios and dumped them in the RV industry and jacked up the price for the tuner. That explains why the Sirius tuner is $300 and the Sirius/XM tuner is $30. They perform the same function but the Sirius radio owners pay extra to activate.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:31 AM   #14

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Illinois
THOR #7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedsmom View Post

Do you connect through the Auxiliary Input on the coach radio? Thank you
Old 04-04-2017, 07:07 AM   #15

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldedd View Post
Do you connect through the Auxiliary Input on the coach radio? Thank you
Yes, we connected through the rear AUX IN AUDIO on the axxera.

We also connected a video cable from the camera switch to the AUX IN VIDEO, so we could have the rear camera feed on all the time while the XM radio was on

Much better than watching a "blue screen" on the radio.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:23 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Illinois
THOR #7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Yes, we connected through the rear AUX IN AUDIO on the axxera.

We also connected a video cable from the camera switch to the AUX IN VIDEO, so we could have the rear camera feed on all the time while the XM radio was on

Much better than watching a "blue screen" on the radio.
Does the rear AUX IN VIDEO consist of the RCA plugins?
Thanks,

Ron
Old 04-04-2017, 11:15 PM   #17

THOR #4687
Yes sir and splitters ( if you need them) work great. We also gat a RCA to 3.9 mm cable and took the camera output into our Garmin RV 760 GPS.

Puts the camera view right in front of the driver that way
Old 04-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4919
Typical Sirius Tuner setup

From Crutchfield this is a typical Sirius Tuner Setup. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_220SXV...0V1-Tuner.html