Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2018, 01:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
Walmart Overnight Parking

Happy New Year everyone. I am traveling South along I95 from NY to FL in February. Has anyone stayed at Walmart Overnight and how was the experience? Are there any Pro or Con? I would like to plan my stays in advance but have never tried overnight parking. I plan to take 3 days each way in a 35' Hurricane.

Thanks in advance,
Vince

Old 12-31-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Don't restrict yourself to just Walmarts--You can stay at Cracker Barrel's as well (be sure to go in and ask).

There is also this website to assist:
https://freecampsites.net/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:54 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
while many may 'report' that their local walmart restricts overnight RV parking, the real truth is that few, very few, if any, care if you park there overnight. Some local ordinances require some signage to 'scare away' big semi-trucks and such, we've never run into any Walmart, even with signage, who minded us being there, along with the other many RVs. We even see sheriff and police cars drive by - they also don't care...they are not there to hassle RVrs.
Just pull in, find an out-of-the-way spot, close to the outside curb, if possible, or even on the side of the store where less traffic happens. Most will say to not put out your slide(s), but again, we've never had any Walmart, HD, Lowes, Church, or any other business or large parking lot care. Asheville's Walmart parking lot security actually 'welcomed' us and asked how many nights we were staying!

We're actually waking up to an overnight just N of Atlanta, in a huge movie theater parking lot, from a long drive from FLorida yesterday... no one around, no one to care, and it's like your own RV park...all to yourself.

As long as RVrs are considerate, park out-of-the-way, and don't 'look' like they are camping...I don't think these parking option will go anywhere soon - especially if you are shopping there anyway.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:56 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
If you use their parking lot: be sure to go inside, and buy something for dinner!
Have a safe trip...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:21 PM   #5

THOR #5840
That's great news. Thanks coolsmiley. I assume safetywise you don't have any concerns. I am always armed and safety is a top priority.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:22 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
...we found out early on that 'asking' a manager, especially finding one and taking their time to hear you out at Walmart, is unwarranted. While asking is considerate, it really only serves to make you feel o.k. when there's no real issue to start with. If you do find a manager, a few will quote any signage in the parking lot, because, of course, that's what they're programmed to, but most will just say 'fine'. Walmart corporate will say the same.
...a few apps and websites tout the Walmarts that are 'o.k.' to overnight at, but they are only reporting the ones without specific signage to prohibit it, without regards to the fact that the one with signage are not installed by walmart, but are due to city/county ordinances, and only enforced if Walmart itself calls and reports something - which is rare, if ever, and generally NOT anything to do with RVs.

but, some of us are content to not worry or concern ourselves about these things, and others are - so do what's comfortable for YOU, not for the rest of us.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:27 PM   #7

THOR #5840
Thanks, I appreciate the info. Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2018, 02:32 PM   #8

THOR #5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If you use their parking lot: be sure to go inside, and buy something for dinner!
Have a safe trip...
Will do, thanks and Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2018, 02:41 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
The area you are in has everything to do with safety. There are 3 Walmarts within 7 miles of my house. One...I don't even feel safe driving through the parking lot. Another is questionable but the 3rd is in a nicer area you see RV's there a lot. Know the area you are in and don't stay there if you have 15 bikes bungee corded to the ladder...don't spread the slides, put out chairs or grill pork butts in the parking lot. Sleep with one eye open and have coach ready to crank up and leave in a moments notice. I find rest areas serve me better, big box sporting goods stores, mega Camping World parking lots or other large RV dealers with big lots. It's easy to "get lost" in the mix of RV's. Many of the QT/Fast Track/Pilot type multi-purpose fuel stops with RV fuel islands have RV parking also. I don't trust "Walmart Shoppers".
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:22 PM   #10

THOR #5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
The area you are in has everything to do with safety. There are 3 Walmarts within 7 miles of my house. One...I don't even feel safe driving through the parking lot. Another is questionable but the 3rd is in a nicer area you see RV's there a lot. Know the area you are in and don't stay there if you have 15 bikes bungee corded to the ladder...don't spread the slides, put out chairs or grill pork butts in the parking lot. Sleep with one eye open and have coach ready to crank up and leave in a moments notice. I find rest areas serve me better, big box sporting goods stores, mega Camping World parking lots or other large RV dealers with big lots. It's easy to "get lost" in the mix of RV's. Many of the QT/Fast Track/Pilot type multi-purpose fuel stops with RV fuel islands have RV parking also. I don't trust "Walmart Shoppers".
Thanks, good to know. Happy New year!
Old 12-31-2018, 04:35 PM   #11

Model: 22E
THOR #12119
Walmart & rest areas

I used to exclusively use rest areas for overnights because of the interstate access. I found the rest areas to be too loud as the rigs are usually running or they are too close to the Highway. My unit is smaller (25' overall) so now I park with the cars, still a little noisy.
Our last trip at the End of Oct this year we stayed at a Walmart in NJ (by the PA border). best overnite sleep we ever had.
Security showed us where to park (away from the rigs). when we woke up in the AM there was another motorhome near us and security was at the edge of our parking area. I laughed asking my wife was security there protecting us or watching the store.

I normally use google maps and use the street view option to check out the rest areas and walmarts as best I can.

A side note some rest areas have free dump stations ( I70 in Kansas)
Old 12-31-2018, 04:46 PM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
GA is redoing most of their rest areas and including nice dump stations. Funny, the Alabama Welcome Center coming North on 231 has closed the dump station. They got tired of nothing but vacationers from Florida using it and leaving it a wreck. I always Google Satellite view rest areas and all other places I plan to stop at. I'll do "street views" as well. I recently spotted a fuel stop at the same exit we were spending the night at as I always fuel up at end of day. Street view showed the canopy height at 10'-0" so I stopped an exit before that. Most rest areas have places away from the trucks if you're lucky enough to get to them. It's best to find a place on ingress side of the rest area vs. the egress side as trucks coast in and gear out. Funny how all rest areas have signs that state "No Overnight Parking" but spend billions providing such spaces.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:36 PM   #13

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
We had some excitement a couple yrs ago.
At least the young couple waiting for us to come out of WalMart
They were hopping and pointing, very excited

"there's a raccoon UNDER YOUR MOTORHOME!!!

We laughed and chuckled with them, then went inside for supper
Old 12-31-2018, 05:52 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
I have had good and bad experiences with WalMarts and Rest Areas.

Best WM: Ramsey St, Fayetteville, NC. Manager directed me to park by the Garden Shop Entrance. However, as we were parking the Security Officer came over and told us to park up front on the first row by the fence. Said it made it easier for her to keep an eye out for us and any late arrivals. Store closes around 2300 but a Security Officer patrols until dawn. Had great RV supply section.

Best Rest Area: US-70 (Future I-42) 7 miles west of New Bern, NC. Hugh parking lot for large and small rigs. Ditto for small Class A, Class C, vans, etc. Restrooms always clean and sparkling. Patrolled by Craven County Deputy Sheriffs and NC HP at night.

https://www.interstaterestareas.com/ is a great link to have.
WalMart ONP app is very handy too. Make sure you read the comments.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:50 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Thanks for the link(s)!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:06 PM   #16

Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Iowa
THOR #13643
Maybe some day we'll need to use a WM, but so far our preference is a private or public campground. Nothing against those who do; just a more secure feeling for us in a CG.

As for common rest areas...No Way !!
2015 Jeep Cherokee Ltd
FMCA #455220
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:43 AM   #17

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calman View Post

Best WM: Ramsey St, Fayetteville, NC. Manager directed me to park by the Garden Shop Entrance. However, as we were parking the Security Officer came over and told us to park up front on the first row by the fence. Said it made it easier for her to keep an eye out for us and any late arrivals. Store closes around 2300 but a Security Officer patrols until dawn. Had great RV supply section.

Best Rest Area: US-70 (Future I-42) 7 miles west of New Bern, NC. Hugh parking lot for large and small rigs. Ditto for small Class A, Class C, vans, etc. Restrooms always clean and sparkling. Patrolled by Craven County Deputy Sheriffs and NC HP at night.

After pulling up the website for Interstate Rest Areas, it seems most states forbid RV overnight stays. Have others done this in spite of laws or signs posted. Sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission???? Bob
Old 01-01-2019, 03:00 AM   #18

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I have had good luck with WalMarts in small town America but avoid overnight stays in cities. I don't want to deal with the crime associated with urban America.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:13 AM   #19

THOR #5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calman View Post

Thanks, great info
Old 01-01-2019, 03:14 AM   #20

Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #5645
Lumberton, NC

I've stayed at the Lumberton WM several times with no problems. It's a popular place and there are always several rigs there.
WarEagleDan is offline   Reply With Quote