Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2018, 05:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Challenger 37 YT
State: Kentucky
THOR #8995
Sewer solution

Does anyone have experience with Sewer Solution? Is it worth purchasing or should I go with electric macerator pump.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:41 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
does your onboard sewer outlet not work? I'm not sure why you would 'need' anything other than the normal sewer hose connected to your outlet... am I missing something?
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:26 PM   #3

Model: Quantum PD 31
State: Virginia
THOR #7506
Sewer Solutions

I have one and it works great while at the campsite. Just dont try and use it at a dump station as its pretty slow if you have people waiting in line. Still carry a regular slinky for dump stations. I dont regret owning one as it does wonders going uphill!!!
Old 08-14-2018, 07:59 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
75k miles and two RV's with our SS - not one failure or part replaced. Accidently put dump hose under jack pad and leveled coach. Flattened hose - five minutes and a pair of channel locks - hose back in service. Try that with a slinky which by the way we gave away.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:08 PM   #5

THOR #8995
Dump

The three inch sewer does work ok. The idea of only having to deal with 3/4" hose is appealing. At home I could easily use the 3/4" hose to dump into my home septic system, whereas the 3" would very difficult. Just checking all the options and the macerator pump is more costly.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #6

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
SS features: The dump hose connects to dump head with 1" PVC pipe fittings. I carry a few pieces of pipe and just push them together to get length needed. With PVC hose bib fittings you can also use 3/4" garden hose like under $20 for fifty feet at Harbor Freight. We have two dump connections due to washer so I added a WYE pvc connector and can keep both dumps connected all the time. Makes life SO much easier. Many say - but you waste water using it to push black tank stuff. Not so - we use Happy Camper tank treatment and don't need water to dump black tank.We actually dump using zero water most of the time. We have used to pump up hill on numerous occasions. Try that with slinky.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdude View Post
I have one and it works great while at the campsite. Just dont try and use it at a dump station as its pretty slow if you have people waiting in line. Still carry a regular slinky for dump stations. I dont regret owning one as it does wonders going uphill!!!
Agree. I was a bit skeptical too but I have been using it for about a year now. I like it because when at a full hook-up site, you can keep your gray water valve open without getting any sewer odor backing up into your coach and not have to pay attention to tank level. I also like the fact that it rinses out clean unlike the slinky hose.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #8

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Florida
THOR #2753
Just watched a video on this system and it looks too involved for me. You would need a second water hose to be hooked up all the time. I drain my tanks often. I simply fill them with fresh water through the sink faucets, and sometimes add a squirt of dish soap, to help push out whatever is in them. And I flush the hose out before putting it away. Never had any problem draining uphill but never had any 100 ft run either. It's real easy to walk the hose to drain it. Also never leave my drains open. Took off the sewer connection one time and saw about 10 or more cockroaches inside the opening. Wouldn't want any new friends crawling up the hose
Old 08-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
I was skeptical. Turns out it work great in my application. My place (mobile home) as sepic is elevied 24" above ground. Empties tank fast. My South house connection is at ground level and it is to required there. We use the drop in additive and tanks never issue. After complete drain we flush 4 full bowls mixed with dish soap in black tank and never get a bad odor.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I went to the Sewer Solutions website to review their product. I've also looked at macerators from various manufacturers. I have come to the conclusion that unless you need to dump uphill I just don't see the need.

I admit I have had my share of "accidents" with the standard sewer hose but that was early on in my camping experiences. In the last several years I have developed a consistent routine with no mishaps. My black and gray tanks hold 41 gallons each and both drain in less than 2 minutes. Add a couple more minutes for the back flush of the black tank and I can be done in about 5 minutes.

It just doesn't get much easier than that. Again, unless you need to pump a long distance or up hill, I just don't understand the desire to change. I am more than willing to spend the money for a legitimate upgrade but don't see it as an upgrade. Maybe someone can convince me.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:08 AM   #11

THOR #8995
sewer solution

I want to see one in action first. If suitable it would be an easy option to dump at home at a low cost. A three inch drain at home is possible but expensive. Maybe I will just forget it all and dump on the road. There are no nearby locations to dump.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:55 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEroad View Post
I want to see one in action first. If suitable it would be an easy option to dump at home at a low cost. A three inch drain at home is possible but expensive. Maybe I will just forget it all and dump on the road. There are no nearby locations to dump.
Have you looked at websites such as:
https://rvdumpsites.net

Sometimes there are hidden ones (like the local highway rest stop with a surprise dump station). You never know.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:49 PM   #13

Model: Quantum KM24
State: Georgia
THOR #8438
Been there, done that. Left the campground on Tybee, Ga. and when I parked in a lot along the river in Savanna, Ga. I noticed my black tank dump valve was gone. As for the Sewer Solutions, I've been using one for close to ten years. Only use the stinky slinky when using a dump station. At home I dump in the county sewer through my cleanout connection using three 10' lengths of 1" PVC.

Wendell
Evans, Ga.
2018 Quantum KM24