Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2019, 12:42 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
Selling on Craig’s List

We have our MH up for sell but so far no luck on RVTrader, RTV, IRV2, or Thor forum, so I guess it’s time to try Craig’s List (which I’m not looking forward to). So my question is for those that have sold their MH on Craigs List, when they want to look at the MH, do they come to the house or do I meet them at a public place like a Wal-Mart? What precautions have you used while selling on Craig’s List. I know the basic of no checks, to include bank checks (unless I’m at their bank with them and the teller hands me the certified check). But what about how to keeps scammers from coming to our house to case the joint. For those that are going to ask while we are selling, we want to upgrade to a 5th wheel and go full time.
Thanks.

Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:39 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
What are you selling?
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I have sold a lot of items on Craig's List, put as many pictures in as possible, use a good write up. The last thing I write is "this is a cash only sale". Now I have not sold anything of the value you are talking about. I guess I would talk to your bank and get a loan officer involved in that process. I do not think anybody will be coming to your house with that much cash in hand.

Maybe I am lucky but I have always had the buying folks come to my house to see and make the purchase. I have never let them in the house or see into the garage. You also are going to have to decide when and if they can take it for a test drive.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #4

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
I promise you there will be scammers contact you by phone/email. 95% of those will be easy to spot.

I have sold tons of stuff on CL, the most expensive thing being a used Harley. In hindsight that probably was not a smart move even though it worked out okay and I sold it quickly.

If it was me I would find a good dealer to take it on consignment where they keep it on their lot. When that was all set up I would list it on CL then. When interested buyers contact you simply answer their questions and direct them to the dealers lot or meet them there.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
I sold my TT on Facebook Marketplace.

I screen people pretty well, but in the end they are going to see the unit at my place. If you are uneasy about it, sure, meet them at a public place like a walmart parking lot. With my trailer, it wasn't worth the hassle.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
I promise you there will be scammers contact you by phone/email. 95% of those will be easy to spot.

I have sold tons of stuff on CL, the most expensive thing being a used Harley. In hindsight that probably was not a smart move even though it worked out okay and I sold it quickly.

If it was me I would find a good dealer to take it on consignment where they keep it on their lot. When that was all set up I would list it on CL then. When interested buyers contact you simply answer their questions and direct them to the dealers lot or meet them there.

I was thinking the same thing - try consignment. True that you will be giving away some of the profits but a good dealer will have buyer traffic that you’ll never generously your own. I’d like to hear the stories of folks who have gone this route.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:49 PM   #7

THOR #1249
I haven't sold on consignment, but did buy my Vegas that way. Saw it advertised by dealer.
Good luck with your sale.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:55 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you really have to put an ad on Craigslist to sell it:
ALWAYS have the interested party meet you in a neutral location.
1. They'll know that you drove it so... so it can move under it's own power!
2. Lots of potential witnesses around...
3. It's easier to arrange to have a "Shadow" lurking nearby; yet out of sight...

Protect yourself!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:03 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippytwo View Post
We have our MH up for sell but so far no luck on RVTrader, RTV, IRV2, or Thor forum, so I guess it’s time to try Craig’s List (which I’m not looking forward to). So my question is for those that have sold their MH on Craigs List, when they want to look at the MH, do they come to the house or do I meet them at a public place like a Wal-Mart? What precautions have you used while selling on Craig’s List. I know the basic of no checks, to include bank checks (unless I’m at their bank with them and the teller hands me the certified check). But what about how to keeps scammers from coming to our house to case the joint. For those that are going to ask while we are selling, we want to upgrade to a 5th wheel and go full time.
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
What are you selling?
Does that help?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:57 PM   #10

Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Does that help?
I think he meant Year/Make/Model.
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
I think he meant Year/Make/Model.
Oh! Well, in that case:

or:

https://www.thorclassifieds.com/2016...a.c.e.-30.1-77
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:12 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
I vote for daytime meeting in a WM parking lot with a "shadow" watching "just in case".

I would also say have at least one more person with you as well (so they see your not alone).

Or ask which bank they use (if they are going to pay you by check) and if you have a local branch near your location.....that way you can meet outside - they can check it out - then go inside get his / her check then CASH IT at their bank immediatly that way you know its good. Wait until they leave (so they dont follow you) then deposit your cash in your bank right away.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #13

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
What are you selling?
We are selling our 2016 Thor ACE 30.1. We want to start full timing and will get a 5th wheel. Once we sell the MH then we will buy the truck, then sell our toad, then buy the 5th wheel, then sell our house. Lots of fun
But I do kind of enjoy test driving the trucks.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:14 PM   #14

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
difficult, but I don't like to have people come to my house, I always meet in a public place where others are around. I've use a city police substation for one item and funny thing, one supposed buyer didn't want to meet there.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:18 PM   #15

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippytwo View Post
... so far no luck on RVTrader, RTV, IRV2, or Thor forum, so I guess it’s time to try Craig’s List ...
I've sold several RVs on CL and RVTrader. The key is PRICE!!! Even just a few $K too high will eliminate the good/real buyers. CL typically gets lower prices than online RV specific places unless it's something special.

When looking at listings ... what is the cheapest sales price for the same rig of equal or older year. Also, are there older models with less miles at lower price? If you're not equal or less than those other listings in your asking price, it is doubtful you'll get any actual buyer bites no matter where you list it.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:55 AM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
My plan when the day comes without regards to how the potential seller found the listing.

1. Prepaid cell phone and a Google email account only used for the sale. Makes for easy screening considering any calls, text messages or phone calls will only be related to the listing.

2. Once I decide it's time to sell take my time and develop an add plan probably using the layout and format from Motorhomes of Texas website. Lots a pics with good lighting and clear images taken in a logical order as if you were walking around the coach inside and out. Same with the write up. Everything in logical groups.
https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pr...69269?ref=list

3. Showings will be off site by appointment. Already have the viewing location picked out. Coach will be set up as if camped with slides out and awning out, jacks down and the generator providing power.

4. No test drivers. Test rides at a later date after first showing.

5. Cash or bank to bank wire transfer. Maybe an escrow service of my choosing. No checks of any kind, no seller financing, trades, rent to own, test camping or anything else other than the complete transfer of ownership after payment. No warranty of any type. The coach is sole as is.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:06 AM   #17

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
Sounds like you have it all figured out. Let us know how it turns out so others may learn from your experience.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #18

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
I just sold a motorhome on RV trader. Took several price reductions but when i priced realistically i had 4 people waiting in line. Now is the time.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #19

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
first, if you use CL or any other 'localized' sells website or app, and you're concerned about security, then just don't list your physical address - your city only will work fine. Interested buyers will contact you and then you can go from there as to whether you feel comfortable giving your 'home' address.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it so much. Millions of folks have things in their yard for sale, with a sign by the street, or placed in their vehicle, and that doesn't make them uncomfortable - it's a must if you really want to sell it.

The other day, I looked up some campers on CL. I contacted several to come and see them in person. One owner had no problem giving the address, after all, if you want to sell something, you should let the person know WHERE it can be seen!
Another owner acted hesitant, as though he wouldn't provide the location 'until' I was a few minutes away. I asked how I could be a few minutes 'away' if I didn't yet know WHERE to go to see it! He still acted as if he didn't want someone to come to his home and 'steal' his camper, even though it's parked in front of his house with a FOR SALE sign on it!

I don't get the 'security' thing people are concerned with. Just because someone knows your 'address' where you have an RV for sale provides nothing more 'unsecure' than the the hundreds of people who drive by and see it parked there every day. Would you be hesitant if one of those folks stopped by to look at it?
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
first, if you use CL or any other 'localized' sells website or app, and you're concerned about security, then just don't list your physical address - your city only will work fine. Interested buyers will contact you and then you can go from there as to whether you feel comfortable giving your 'home' address.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it so much. Millions of folks have things in their yard for sale, with a sign by the street, or placed in their vehicle, and that doesn't make them uncomfortable - it's a must if you really want to sell it.

The other day, I looked up some campers on CL. I contacted several to come and see them in person. One owner had no problem giving the address, after all, if you want to sell something, you should let the person know WHERE it can be seen!
Another owner acted hesitant, as though he wouldn't provide the location 'until' I was a few minutes away. I asked how I could be a few minutes 'away' if I didn't yet know WHERE to go to see it! He still acted as if he didn't want someone to come to his home and 'steal' his camper, even though it's parked in front of his house with a FOR SALE sign on it!

I don't get the 'security' thing people are concerned with. Just because someone knows your 'address' where you have an RV for sale provides nothing more 'unsecure' than the the hundreds of people who drive by and see it parked there every day. Would you be hesitant if one of those folks stopped by to look at it?
LOL, and, more to the point: Isn't the whole point of putting it out front with a 'For Sale' sign on it to get people to stop and look? (In addition, most of the time people put, gasp, their phone # on the for sale sign!)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote